• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc gabapentin absorbtion

cj

Bluelight Crew
Is there anyway to increase gabapentin absorbtion? Also whats the max that can be absorbed at one time and how long do I need to wait before dosing again?

Thanks
CJ

Honestly the best way to get the most out of Gabapentin is to stagger your doses over a period of time. The problem with Gabapentin is that the amino acid transporter gets saturated so that no more can be transported; whether you take 150mg or 600mg, the same amount of drug gets absorbed pretty much.

You should wait at least 45 minutes between doses. Start with 300mg every hour until you achieve your desired effects. I feel that caffeine helps the Gabapentin to kick in more, IME. Basically, the more you take at once, the less is absorbed overall.

I've heard Naproxen can increase absorption by as much as 15%.

Damn I have wasted a shit load :(. Thanks for the answer though.

It may be better to space doses about 2 hours. Tmax is around 1 to 3 hours so you will know max is absorbed then and the saturation of the transporter effect will be less. There is some debate about the saturation as several studies have shown linear (non-saturable) bioavailability of doses up to 4800mg in divided doses but I think it probably has more to do with disease state (especially epilepsy) than the drug itself. Not so sure about naproxen increasing levels but possible as gabapentin is 99% renally eliminated with no biotransformation and NSAIDs can affect the kidneys. I will look it up. Food has a modest increase in total drug exposure with a 14% increase in AUC and I think Cmax as well.

I have 48 eaten 300mg pills in the last 3 days. Is this stuff toxic? lol

aren't I setting a good example as a mod 8(

edit I found my own answer I will be fine. Apperantly I am not the first idiot to eat his prescription in 5 days. Probably a little liver damage but shit who cares

Last edited:
No liver damage. It isnt processed by the liver. And it is incredibly safe even in mega doses. You will find reports of people taking like 30 grams with no problem. I am not advocating this but it is pretty safe.

i ate 60 300 mg pills in about 24hrs.... only negative side effect was "the jolts" (i don't know the medical term - myclonic jerks maybe?)

i usually eat 600mg every 45mins for about 6 hours. after hour 4 i'm pretty much where i wanna be but wanna keep it going so keep dosing. used to dose 1200mg or 900mg but found 600mg works just as good... was trial and error, i don't think i have ever read an exact scientifically proven answer to the "how much gets absorbed" question... though i would love the facts!

According to Pfizer, the bioavailability goes down with increasing dose with 900mg in three divided doses showing 60% and 4800 27%. As I said, it has been disputed but generally accepted as how it works.

i ate 60 300 mg pills in about 24hrs.... only negative side effect was "the jolts" (i don't know the medical term - myclonic jerks maybe?)

i usually eat 600mg every 45mins for about 6 hours. after hour 4 i'm pretty much where i wanna be but wanna keep it going so keep dosing. used to dose 1200mg or 900mg but found 600mg works just as good... was trial and error, i don't think i have ever read an exact scientifically proven answer to the "how much gets absorbed" question... though i would love the facts!

I get the jerks too! It almost feels like the physical effect of being startled without the mental thing. weird. I also just want to keep eating them once I start feeling that nice drunk effect. from now on I am going to just take 300mg an hour lol. I guess the good news is that my addiction isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Thanks for the scientific answers kittycat5.

Lol. The jerks, I thought that's where they were coming from! Now I know for sure. But I never tried the stagger method. I am dependent on gabapentin, and I hope this method will help spare me from going thru my whole script in a week.

1.) 1600mg of gabapentin with a light meal high in fat + naproxen + anything spicy that has capsaicin

2.) T+45min another 1600mg with any energy drink that has taurine and is very high in caffeine. This brings it from mood elevation to a true high for a lot of people i know.

3.) Repeat step 1

I asked this question a while back and never got a good answer, I'm aware of the fact that if you take gabapentin orally, the more you take the less is absorbed and therefore keeping your dose low or staggering it is the best option, however, (and this is just out of curiosity, I haven't IV'd drugs in a month and won't start shooting gabapentin) gabapentin is water soluble, at least to a degree (I know cause I have shot it before) would the same rules apply when I.V'd?

I wouldn't think so, because when you IV a substance you get 100% BA right? I also wanted to know if this stagger method works good for people with tolerances. I have been eating at the very least 2000mg of GAB per day for the last year. I just ran out of my script and down to my last 1600mg, I am trying the stagger method and dosed twice so far. I will find out I guess. I washed my first 400mg dose down with water right when I woke at about 8:20am and ate some rolaids with it. Walked to store and bought a monster, popped the next 400mg dose at about 9:25am, which is about now. I have 800mg left. Hope to get the most of it... Lol

Regarding naproxen, it does not increase absorption or plasma levels of gabapentin, it acts synergistcally with it to increase analgesia. (A pharmacodynamic interaction rather than a pharmacokinetic).

^is that true with all NSAIDs? Just wondering cause my dad has lung cancer and on top of oxy they just gave him gabapentin and ibuprofen to take as well and nothing has been really doing it for him, it's bizarre he's like he first man in history who would take ibuprofen over roxi's.

Took my 3rd 400mg dose 15min ago, still feeling mild withdrawal effects. Got 1 more 400mg dose. I know that GAB takes almost 2 hours or so to really kick in, so my 1st dose I took at 8:30am (10:48am now), should be starting to take effect. I will be taking the last 400mg in about 40mins, hopefully this works. I am currently on a journey to get more, so hopefully this tides me over and I will use it in the future if it works out.

^is that true with all NSAIDs? Just wondering cause my dad has lung cancer and on top of oxy they just gave him gabapentin and ibuprofen to take as well and nothing has been really doing it for him, it's bizarre he's like he first man in history who would take ibuprofen over roxi's.

I imagine so but only looked up naproxen specifically. I will take a look.

I have been prescribed gabapentin for 9 years. I have experimented with many (oral) methods use (in terms of quantities taken/dose-staggering timeframes.)

In my experience, by far the most effective way to administer the drug is with 300 mg taken every 45 minutes. It is difficult to suggest a total amount for a 24 hour period because of variables regarding tolerance and distinct differences in the body chemistry of individuals.

Having stated that, I have been prescribed 1500 mg per day for the better part of my history with this medication, and often it takes as few as three 300 mg doses within a day to get to a place wherein which my anxiety level is more-than-manageable.