Funk D'Void's Balance 022 Available October 9

plexipr

Bluelighter
Once the acclaimed Scottish duo Slam planted the flag for techno in Glasgow at the start of the ‘90s, the city’s musical destiny was changed forever. Fostering many a great talent with their Soma imprint, Lars Sandberg - aka Funk D’Void, aka Francois Dubois - remains one of the brightest stars that they have uncovered. After breaking through on the legendary duo’s label in 1995, Funk D’Void forged a sound that combined techno beats and percussion with soaring melodies and chords to scintillating effect. Continuing to impress with his own Outpost Recordings, this new double mix CD for the acclaimed Balance series sees this enduring talent follow on from his previous compilations for the German powerhouse Cocoon label and Soma.

64FSB.jpg

“I didn’t want too many of the latest hottest tracks in the mix, so I basically made a selection of moments that have had the biggest impact on me and attempted to weave them into a cohesive structure that might connect on the same level that I had experienced them. Every track has been edited by me so I wasn’t held back by overlong arrangements built for the club, opting instead for the immediate impact that could still be attained as one body of work.” -Funk D’Void

Disc 1 gets down to serious business with no delay, Sandberg’s way with atmospherics and groove immediately brought to the fore in his remix of Hawkinson’s “Introduction.” This first disc focuses squarely on the myriad flavors of techno and deeper house that permeate a typical Funk D’Void set, with melody served up in a subtle fashion amidst throbbing, inviting rhythms. It’s techno for the heart, head and soul as well as the body - the way its pioneers intended it. Indeed, nods to Detroit come early on through Monty Luke and Underground Resistance mainstays Los Hermanos, those gentle melodies soon building to the unbridled euphoria and old skool breaks of Chris Malinchak’s “Razor.” He plays with the listener’s emotion across the mix, weaving between dark and joyful, taking things deep with plodding analog basslines and an exclusive cut from rising name Arkist.

Listen to the Disc 1 Preview on SoundCloud here.
Listen to the Disc 2 Preview on SoundCloud here.

Disc 2 of this stunning selection pulls at that glistening, euphoric thread that teases throughout the first disc and lets it run rampant over a beautiful selection of slo-mo, sun-licked tracks that make for a masterful sunset or sunrise set. Kolombo’s “Waiting For” sets the charmed Balearic vocals to work, with Italo-synth bass and sensual arpeggios resplendent in Lee Webster’s “Delve” thereafter. One journeys through the funk of Lovebirds’ “Running Backwards” and the sweeping atmospherics of Vince Watson’s epic “Celtic Beauty” before the tempo suddenly lurches into the prettiest of all dubstep on our DJ’s own exclusive edit of Joash’s “Assassin.” An exclusive Joris Voorn cut momentarily continues the pacier theme, before Sandberg slips into his Francois Dubois guise to take us into lush deep house territory.

'Balance 022: Funk D’Void' Tracklisting:

Disc 1

1. Hawkinson “Introduction (Funk D’Void remix)”

2. Monty Luke “Yesterday & Today”

3. Los Hermanos “Olmec My Brother”

4. Chris Malinchak “Razor”

5. Peter Dildo “Lucky Punch”

6. Arkist “Effingham PL” ***EXCLUSIVE***

7. Tonka “Orca (dub)”

8. Mike Acetate “Elevate (Shur-I-Kan & Milton Jackson remix)”

9. Soy Mustafa “Return Of The Annunaki (John Tejada Cinematic Edit)”

10. Moodymanc “Talker (Drum dub mix)”