• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

From Real Members Here With Anxiety

dalpat077

Bluelighter
I hope I don't come across as an idiot in asking this question. Especially not given my age and experience.

But what exactly is anxiety and what does it result in?

I suppose the main reason I ask is because just about every thread I read and have read in the past few months has noted anxiety as a reason for them prescribed a benzo. or some or the other pharmaceutical.

How would you define anxiety in context here and what are its effects and can it/does it become debilitating in some instances and to what degree?

Obviously this is very personal so there's, as usual, no obligation to participate or post.

Just curious.

I mean to say I could look it up on Google but all I'm going to find are some generic medical details and anecdotes etc. I guess I'm trying to find out what it means in practice.

Vinnie77

Bluelighter
Basically it means that you "give a fuck" way too much. You are panicking about simple things that are not such a big deal. You are in constant state of fear that something bad is going to happen to you soon. You can even get paranoid as fuck.

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Hello.
Do you want to know because you want to try to legally obtain benzos from your dr? No matter if you do, just curious.
Nope. Not at all. Already taking Alprozalam but more for its relaxing and side-effect of helping with sleep.

Just really curious as to exactly what is meant when somebody suffers from anxiety or an anxiety disorder and what it means in their lives.

And to be frank: seems to me that there are an inordinate amount of prescriptions being written in the name of anxiety more than anything else.

Like I said: may be a dumb question. But another way of explaining maybe: I know what depression is and does and how it affects people and their lives. Just not sure how or where anxiety fits into the equation. Hope that makes more sense.

Last edited:

PrincessDiz

Banríon na Fothrach
Anxiety can be incredibly debilitating. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. It can be in the back ground and you’re aware it’s there like a sense of worry or something bad is going to happen.
It can also cause crazy physical symptoms. I had an anxiety attack so bad once that the right hand side of my body went numb and heavy. I had shaking for at least 6 hours after due to the adrenaline.
It causes weird feelings in your head, feeling like you’re going to die, your heart rate skyrockets as well as blood pressure. You can hear your heart beat in your ear. The sense of impending death is overwhelming. Pins and needles, headache, eye twitching and flashes, you can feel breathless. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea are very common also.
I had another panic attack recently so bad I was literally shaking for 3 days after because the adrenaline in my blood stream was so high and I was in constant fight or flight mode. I lost 4lbs in 2 days. It also just happens me out of the blue, for no apparent reason most of the time and due to that it makes it hard to go visit places or work sometimes. When it just comes on you really are not in control.

Does this help to explain it better for you?

Gormur

Bluelighter
I hope I don't come across as an idiot in asking this question. Especially not given my age and experience.
I can't imagine why you would, but okay :)

Anxiety is a disorder that causes distress

I suppose the main reason I ask is because just about every thread I read and have read in the past few months has noted anxiety as a reason for them prescribed a benzo. or some or the other pharmaceutical.
Well, anxiety is a legitimate disorder and there are different forms of it. Like my uncle has GAD but I have panic disorder, so I'm prone to panic attacks

How would you define anxiety in context here and what are its effects and can it/does it become debilitating in some instances and to what degree?
Yes definitely. I haven't taken any medicine for it in a long time but I also avoid crowds or places I know will be busy

I've only ever had two panic attacks but they were pretty bad. The first one was dissociating to where I couldn't see, just a black tunnel and it lasted almost ten minutes. I felt terrible. I found out my grandmother had them when she was my age

Obviously this is very personal so there's, as usual, no obligation to participate or post.

Just curious.

I mean to say I could look it up on Google but all I'm going to find are some generic medical details and anecdotes etc. I guess I'm trying to find out what it means in practice.
There are things I don't agree with though, like anxiety. I don't believe everybody has anxiety. It's stress, which is a survival tool. Anxiety is distress, which can't be managed at all unless you take something. At least that's my experience :)

madness00

Sr. Moderator: NMI, MH, CD, SLR
Staff member
Anxiety, for me, is closely tied to excitement.

But it can be uncomfortable in high doses.

I think i had a panic attack once and threw up.

ageingpartyfiend

Bluelighter
Anxiety is distress, which can't be managed at all unless you take something. At least that's my experience :)
Anxiety most definitely can be managed, and in some cases completely overcome by other means than medication (dietary changes / meditation / exercise / relaxation techniques / lifestyle changes / therapy etc)

There are very strong arguments that medication cannnot manage anxiety at all in fact, and usually ends up actually exacerbating it - certainly if considering the longterm

Gormur

Bluelighter
Medication is a godsend for panic attacks. The second one I had started to come on, so I took a klonopin and went about my day

I can't really speak to GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) because that's clearly something else. @madness00 you don't think you had a panic attack, you know because you black out

ageingpartyfiend

Bluelighter
Medication is a godsend for panic attacks. The second one I had started to come on, so I took a klonopin and went about my day

I can't really speak to GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) because that's clearly something else. @madness00 you don't think you had a panic attack, you know because you black out
very true - alprazolam in particular is awesome for panic attack

also - regular meditation practice and/or relaxation techniques when practiced regularly will bring your baseline anxiety level down, so when the trigger for a panic attack occurs it won't hit you so hard, because the baseline you are travelling from will be lower to begin with, and then potentially no benzo neccessary

Gormur

Bluelighter
I do meditate but my issue is just panic attacks. I don't really get anxiety about anything. I just know when it's going to hit

Medicine works because it allows me to forget it even happened. Lately I've taken to snorting tobacco and it sort of prevents it but I also limit my activities which kind of sucks

ageingpartyfiend

Bluelighter
I do meditate but my issue is just panic attacks. I don't really get anxiety about anything. I just know when it's going to hit

Medicine works because it allows me to forget it even happened. Lately I've taken to snorting tobacco and it sort of prevents it but I also limit my activities which kind of sucks
wow what's the burn like with snorting baccy? and the drip?? sound grim tbh but ymmv :)

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Hi all.

I thank you all very much for sharing your insights and experiences.

I'm now glad I asked the question. Reason being is I've been trying to picture or fathom exactly what the difference is between being anxious vs. merely being simply worried about certain events whether they be current or future events. Best way to explain it: I'm very concerned about my current financial and living arrangement and the future. Does that make me feel anxious on certain days? Probably. But that's hardly the same thing. Well: I can say that now after being enlightened by all of your posts.

Since I got into this situation I started taking Alprozalam again on an as needed basis simply because some days I get so concerned about the future (or lack thereof that I can perceive) so I pop a few and it takes the edge off and to coin of the opposite of somebody else's phrase used above it make me "not give a shit" for those few hours. But I don't, for example, become too afraid to leave the house for anything or drive or stuff like that. But this sure doesn't sound like the same thing you're all talking and sharing about and I'm guessing it's a not well recognized state to be in (having actual anxiety or an actual anxiety disorder).

I would imagine it's a very difficult thing to deal with especially if you're with people that just don't get it. I mean to say: on my worrying days (let's call them that) and which inevitably lead to me being in a depressive state I'm usually told to "just get your act together" or "things will be fine" type of thing. I can only imagine what that must do to somebody who actually suffers from proper anxiety or a proper anxiety disorder.

So thank you all for being so open and honest. I've learned something new (again) today i.e. that it's very very real and can be a very very serious condition and possible even life threatening. I never knew this until now. Thank you.

ageingpartyfiend

Bluelighter
@dalpat077 - please be extremely careful when taking benzo's like Alprazolam as addiction to them can be insidious - it creeps up on you without you realising and then you are a whole world of trouble

benzo withdrawal is likely the worst withdrawal that exists

dalpat077

Bluelighter
@dalpat077 - please be extremely careful when taking benzo's like Alprazolam as addiction to them can be insidious - it creeps up on you without you realising and then you are a whole world of trouble

benzo withdrawal is likely the worst withdrawal that exists
Hey. Thanks.

Don't worry. Been there a few years ago (also with Alpozalam). I know what I may eventually be in for (again)! Things just not good at the moment (understatement of the wonderful year of 2020) so for me it's currently a toss up between Prozac and Alprozlam or Suicide (I'm sure you didn't need to hear that but it is what it is). If nothing else: they're buying me time to make some decisions (hopefully rationally) because up until about six weeks or so ago or so (when I started taking Prozac and Alprozalam again after having been free of all pharma. for at least then or twelve or more years) I wasn't in good shape (due to a few things that have happened since around June last year and then COVID-19 being the final nail in the coffin). Guess the point is I know these things well i.e. had a fascination with all things pharma. and in particular benzos. most of my life (not for personal abuse although I know it's easy to fall into that trap).

The above all being said: your concern and info. and advice is touching at very much appreciated.

JoEhJoEh

Bluelighter

Just curious.

Sorry, but Google helps!

JJ