• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids From Kratom to Subuxone maintenance?

belfort

Bluelighter
I have a younger budy who has been trying to taper off his once 50 gram daily habit..he is down to 15 grams daily but he accomplished this by adding in poppy seed tea 1-2 twice daily..now he just feels like complete shit, no energy or motivation and sees his future as bleak..he's just not really functioning atm..he is thinking of jumping on subuxone maintenance just so he can get his life sorted..I told him he is going from a very mild opiod to a very potent one..he said he knows but with subuxone when he wants to get off his doctor will taper him slowly..

Does anyone think he is making the right decision?history has shown him that tapering off kratom just doesn't work for him..at the rate he is functioning he will probably lose his job..

Any medications (scripted) or advice for him?

If it was just Kratom to suboxone, I would agree with your sentiment. But It's a maybe based on how potent and how long he was using pst..
history has shown him that tapering off kratom just doesn't work for him
Then tapering from bupe will most likely prove difficult as well..

- Hopeless Soul

When he wants to get off the sub he can taper slowly. The exact same can be said for his use of kratom. Both will suck equally as much but I would imagine it would suck more to have to taper off the Suboxone after he becomes dependent.

In my opinion it's not somehow easier to taper off the sub compared with the kratom. Being under the care of a doctor really makes little difference in the end though you do have some medical oversight if serious problems arise. He could taper off the kratom under the care of a doctor but the motivation has to come from him. Suboxone still has a number of similar side effects as other opiates. These include sluggishness, sleepiness, irritability, fatigue and constipation.

Doctors do not do the tapering the clients are the ones to do the work and doctors really have no say in how quick or slow it goes. For all he knows this supposed doctor will keep him on for the rest of his life. Before going the sub route one would want to se if they can taper off by themselves. Sub should be a last resort after other forms of treatment have been tried.

I don't know. It seems like going the sub route for kratom would be like amputating your foot for a splinter. I've never tried kratom but have been on subs for heroin and am on mmt now. I would really think about it. You're trading an herb for something much more potent and addicting. Why not just stay on kratom then? Do a very slow taper. I might be wrong but would think kratom is better for you than bupe.

Here is how my wife did it. She shoveled in 30-50 grams of kratom whenever she wanted all day long for 6 years. April 1st 2012 she did a cold turkey. She had that date set. It was 4 days of being tired, restless and only slept a few hours a night. (to me that is still a lot of sleep in withdrawal, because coming off methadone I didn't sleep a wink for 7 weeks). Then on the 5th day she seemed much better. She was still active in the first days but rested and really got lethargic. So after the first few days it was two weeks of some minor lethargy and then completely back to normal. An exercise routine helped. She has not looked back, and I still utilize kratom so it is here all time and there is no temptation.

Using suboxone for kratom withdrawal is so far ar overkill. And then when a person wants off the suboxone they will wish it was just kratom withdrawal. Anyone that uses suboxone for kratom withdrawal simply is too scared or lazy to power though the first few days. It gets easier quicker than other things. Some people are surprised when they do it and wonder why they were afraid. Of course tapering really helps with this.

It's all about tapering, picking a stopping day and having a few meds around and just doing it. Going to suboxone for this is so far overkill and will lead to wishing one hadn't. I know, quitting kratom can be as maddening as quitting tobacco, but it is doable and much less of a struggle than some of the stronger opiates . Just make it a few days. Then deal with a week or two of lethargy. Then what usually happens some is a person goes back to kratom after quitting with some ease simply because they feel they can do it again. :D

Yea u will sort your life out on subs but let me tell u subs is a whole different monster from Kratom.it is hell on earth to come off of,prolly second worst only to methadone..subs raised my tolerance to opiates even at a small dose and I could take 120mg of oxy with no problem

yes subs is a maintenance drug but it is still a very potent opiate

do yourself a favor and continue tapering with Kratom and maybe get some gabapentin or comfort meds when u wanna stop completely

You should definitely try to get some comfort meds from a doctor. A short term supply (emphasis on short!) of lyrica, gabapentin, or a benzo will go a long way towards getting through WD. Kratom WD is well known for being a relatively short ordeal. Suboxone would be a whole new monster. Lyrica is a great med for fighting acute opioid WD

This has been discussed before and it is just damn overkill. Buprenorphine is potent as fuck and going on it when you only use Kratom (and some PST) you will make your addiction worse.

The only exception I see would be a rapid taper over a maximum of maybe 5 days but even that will also suck and the probabilty that the WD after that is worse than the Kratom WD is given.

So your friend has to suck it up. I know it sounds bad but thats basically it.

Well depending on how potent the pst he was taking, his tolerance could already be sky high.. Stop taking the pst, If you feel like your kratom dose isn't 'cutting' it, dose more kratom. If you do a proper taper, kratom wd is one of the easier wds to endure.

- Hopeless Soul

Your friend should get some benzos and just continue the kratom taper... A suboxone taper is going to take a longer time than a kratom taper as it has a longer half life.