• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Friend Wants to Try Dope But He Takes Xanax Daily...

daddysgone

Bluelighter
Hi all,
I have a friend who wants to try dope but I want to make sure I advise him correctly and that he is as safe as possible.

The complication is that he is dependent on xanax. He takes .5mg twice a day (not a very large dose). I've asked him if he could just skip his dose on the day he is going to try dope but he said that he can't skip his dose because he gets shaky and has terrible anxiety if he tries skipping even one dose (surprising since he's on such a small amount).

Anyway, we all know that combining benzos and dope is a bad idea, so I'm not really sure how to advise him. Would his normal .5mg dose of xanax place him in significant danger when he tries the dope?

Obviously if he does try the dope I will make sure he tries snorting a tiny line and then continue to titrate up to where he wants to be. However Im just wondering if I should tell him that becaue of his daily dose of xanax, it would be far too unsafe for him to try dope.
Truthfully, am I being overly cautious? Is the small dose of xanax unlikely to significantly increase the danger of trying the dope?

Any advice/opinions are welcome. Thanks-DG

I would say that a tolerant benzo user isn't in too much danger if all he's taking is 0.5mg twice daily. As long as he's not IVing and he's not going overboard with his dose he should be fine. Good luck & thanks for staying safe.

eh im not too sure what kind of advice to give here..... I don't really think it will be TOO dangerous for him to snort a little heroin on top of his daily xanax usage... I live in OK and we get black tar here, so im not familiar with you east coast boys and your powdered heroin....But from what I understand .1 of tar is equivalent to a bag over there.... I would just like you said start him out on a SMALL sized line and work up while watching him very closely. And I know you don't want to hear this, but he is going to turn into a dope addict, so make sure he knows what IS going to happen and make sure he is ready to go on the road and path of this extremely self destructive and agonizing up and down roller coaster of a life. But you sound like a good friend for posting this thread on here..... But why heroin? is he opiate tolerant? if not, then damn why not just get him a couple vicodin 10's or something? Cause I can almost 100% gurantee that he is going to get hooked especially with that xanax in his system. Cause the two of them combined is one of the best feelings in this world IMO. And before I hit this submit button, the 2 times that I OD'd was a benzo+opiate combo. first time was heroin+xanax, 2nd time was heroin+morphine+klonopin....so be careful

yeah I dont tink it will be a problem if any only if he does not overdo it with the dope.

start small and slow and cut off.

would start off with "half-toothpick" sized lines and allow like 5 minutes in between lines

Thanks for the replies.
The reason he wants to try dope is that he has tried pharmaceutical opioids here and there, but has always said he wanted to try dope. I understand the concerns that he will get hooked and appreciate the concern, but I will say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that this person in particular will get hooked. I am aware that its always a possibility, but I would be really shocked if it turned out that way.

Regardless, he is going to try it one way or another so I just want to make sure he is as safe as possible when trying (I was at least able to talk him out of shooting it and convincing him to snort it instead).

But again, the main thing that has me concerned is his twice daily dose of .5mg xanax. I really wish I didn't have to worry about this possible complication but as I said, he states that skipping his xanax dose in not a possibility.

So far the concensus seems to be that the .5mg of xanax won't increase his risk all that much, is that correct? Thanks-DG

There is only one answer in the interest of HR.

Don't try dope.

" .. but I will say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that this person in particular will get hooked. I am aware that its always a possibility, but I would be really shocked if it turned out that way."

You tell that he is dependent on benzos but it is unlikely that he becomes dependent on dope ? I would say that the possibility of addiction is increased by your friend's benzo dependency. Don't want to generalize though - people are different.

If you're worried about the benzos interracting with the opies, I don't think this is an issue if he is taking only his regular daily dose. He may skip one dose and just take the H - the anxiety issues should be well covered by the opiate IMO.

There is only one answer in the interest of HR.

Don't try dope.

Thanks, and I honestly don't mean this to be offensive, but IMO a response like that is the exact opposite of what BL is all about.
There already are tons of "Just Say No" campaigns, BL is about "Harm Reduction"-which to me means acknowledging that people will use drugs, and trying to advise them so that they may do so in the safest possible manner.

Obviously the safest advice is "Don't do dope", but as I said, my friend is going to do it regardless of what I say, so with that in mind, what is the safest possible way for him to go about it given his particular set of circumstances (taking .5mg of xanax twice a day).

I do appreciate your concern though.-DG

"highly unlikely to get addicted to dope"

I thought I was wouldn't get addicted too ;) i have a feeling most users don't plan on getting addicted either

just a friendly warning, dope is fire you will fucking get burnt

just make sure you're a good friend and you call him out if you see repeated use

I am dependent/prescribed xanax. I was on 3mgs daily and sniffing 4 bags of eastcoast powder dope throughout the day.... I had less anxiety while on the dope, so would take 1.5-2mgs then.

Thanks, and I honestly don't mean this to be offensive, but IMO a response like that is the exact opposite of what BL is all about.
There already are tons of "Just Say No" campaigns, BL is about "Harm Reduction"-which to me means acknowledging that people will use drugs, and trying to advise them so that they may do so in the safest possible manner.

Obviously the safest advice is "Don't do dope", but as I said, my friend is going to do it regardless of what I say, so with that in mind, what is the safest possible way for him to go about it given his particular set of circumstances (taking .5mg of xanax twice a day).

I do appreciate your concern though.-DG

I wish I could go back in time and listen to all the people who told me to just say no but I didn't. If you enable him, you will feel bad when he becomes an addict.

I wish I could go back in time and listen to all the people who told me to just say no but I didn't. If you enable him, you will feel bad when he becomes an addict.

I appreciate your concern and understand your point, but I must insist that there is a difference between "enabling" someone, vs. doing all I can to make someone who has already made up their mind, as safe as possible.-

But this is off topic. Id like to get back to the issue here- how the .5mg of xanax will influence the danger when trying a small amount of dope for the first time.-DG

I only have anecdotal experience with 1mg of xanax as a tolerant user and morphine and it potentiated the respiratory depression way more than I thought it would, so I definitely wouldn't IV as my dose was just oral.

Is there any way he could possibly take the .5mg in the morning, if that's when he takes it, and possibly .25mg before he does the dope then the other .25mg aferwards if he's feeling anxious or skaking?

it should be fine. Me and most of my friends have zero benzo tolerance but moderate heroin habits. Theres been a ton of times weve taken 1 or 2 mgs of xanax with the dope and its a good combo, so as long as he starts small with the heroin im sure .5mg xanax wont do much at all.

it should be fine. Me and most of my friends have zero benzo tolerance but moderate heroin habits. Theres been a ton of times weve taken 1 or 2 mgs of xanax with the dope and its a good combo, so as long as he starts small with the heroin im sure .5mg xanax wont do much at all.

My friend OD'd off of 2mgs of xanax, and a half bag of dope. He had a moderate benzo tolerance, and a decent heroin tolerance, like over 2 years of use, with times off for rehabs. He was just chipping for this OD, but I wouldnt recommend taking xanax with a benzo if you are not already taking a small dose daily as prescribed.

My friend OD'd off of 2mgs of xanax, and a half bag of dope. He had a moderate benzo tolerance, and a decent heroin tolerance, like over 2 years of use, with times off for rehabs. He was just chipping for this OD, but I wouldnt recommend taking xanax with a benzo if you are not already taking a small dose daily as prescribed.

WOW....an OD from 2mg of xanax and only HALF a bag, plus he had a decent tolerance to benzos as well as dope??? That is shocking. Does anyone else find that shocking? A half a bag??-DG

I copped him 4 bags since the dealer didnt like him, but me and the dealer were cool. I personally had given him a yellow xanax bar about 1 1/2hrs before the dope. I left the room so he could shoot up. When I went downstairs he was nodded out, barely responsive, and turning blue, and I looked over and new that he did too much because he had poured the second half of the bag into his contact lens case which he used to mix his dope up in (east coast powder so no need to cook). I remembered him telling me that he kept his bags in his coin pocket of his jeans, and since I was calling paramedics I went in that pocket and found the remaining 3 bags.
He had taken a small break before this. Started oxy in 2004, and did dope starting in 05, and this happpend in late 07.
He didnt die though that time, but died this past june.

hes fine if he has a tolerance, especially to that dosage.

He'll be fine. If you want to be super careful have him take .25mg in the morning, do the dope mid-afternoon and then have him dose his nightly regular Xanax dose (or even .25mg again to be super careful) well after he has come down. Just keep an eye on him, stay safe and have fun!

WOW....an OD from 2mg of xanax and only HALF a bag, plus he had a decent tolerance to benzos as well as dope??? That is shocking. Does anyone else find that shocking? A half a bag??-DG

It was more of an extreme case. By moderate benzo tolerance I meant a couple bars a month for 3 years. Also, this was back in 2006-2007 when dope was always fire in the NorthEast.... The consistency was crazy, I honestly thought that all dope was the same amount or something in my beginning use. But I was on suboxone the night he OD'd, so I didnt have any of the stuff that I got for my friend.

Also, I have technically only used Heroin while on xanax, since I have been prescribed it since before I ever touched H, so a daily low dosed xanax user should be fine. I have skipped a late night dose if I felt too much respiratory depression.
However, I wouldn't go on and say that anybody with a moderate benzo tolerance doesn't have to worry about mixing it with H at a low dosage.

I would say that most heroin overdoses involve benzos also. That goes for alot of opiate OD's, methadone being a major one also.