• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Freebases, Salts, and HCl

P Schwangles

Bluelighter
I have a chemistry question: I took 50mg of a freebase material (a-fent) here that I wanted to convert to a salt. I have gone the other direction before (salt to base) successfully a handful of times, but never base to salt. I used HCl, partly because I have heard that the excess will evaporate off, so I didn't need to worry about exact measurements (quite certain the couple drops of 12M HCl I used was excessive). A day later, the water has mostly evaporated, leaving behind some crystal residue, as I expected. However, there are a few thicker, more viscous globs that are not drying out like I would expect. Why could this be??? I put the end of a chopstick in there and tasted it, and it is definitely very acidic! Why is the excess acidity sticking around, and why is there thick, honey-like liquid in there? Thanks guys!
p.s. Sorry - I have seen plenty of posts like this scattered around forums, but I didn't know where this post should go. It seemed like more of a general chem question than one specific to the compound I'm experimenting with, but I could be wrong.

I added 25 mg more of the base with a couple more drops of water and let it sit for a few more hours and the viscous anomaly seemed to resolve itself. My best guess is that HCl is so hydrophilic/hygroscopic that the excess was holding onto water and making it evaporate from the dish slower....