Welcome Guest!

Forum GuidelinesBluelight Rules
  • Lounge Moderators: andyturbo | mal3volent | w01fg4ng
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Nutty Formal thought disorder

FuneralFather

Bluelighter
It’s a real pet peeve of mine to always hear Americans call themselves Irish. Like I get it, you’ve Irish ancestors and that’s great but you’re not Irish, you’re American. We have went through so much crap in Ireland to be able to call ourselves Irish, it’s a hard fought battle and it’s not something you can call yourself willy nilly without understanding what it means to be Irish. I speak the language and have taught my son the language to keep it alive. I’ve been in bombs, I’ve had family die due to the troubles, I was alive when the troubles meant we locked off our towns and had to leave an area quickly because there was a bomb placed there. Ive experienced sectarianism a fucking lot. Being Irish is more than the country, it’s the struggle we went through to get our country and the struggle that’s still going on to get our 6 counties back.

All Irish people laugh at Americans because it’s usually the first thing out of their mouths “ohhh I’m Irish...my mother’s aunts dogs sisters brother is from Ireland.” It’s insensitive and Irish are too fucking polite to say this to you. You’re American. Say you’ve Irish ancestors no problem, we will be happy to talk about the county they are from but please stop saying your Irish. End of PSA.
First thing outta my mouth is where is the fucking blow I’m Alex not a combination of races.

Soso78

Bluelighter
I’m not hostile, I’ve explained time and time again what I mean you’re just missing the wood for the trees for some reason.

Calling themselves American-Irish is Fine by me I never said it wasn’t but it’s most definitely not Irish and our culture and heritage is bastardised by Americans, look at Samhain or st Patrick’s day. That’s just the way it is! That is the truth.
The Irish do thst a lot here in the uk too.
They’re accents become stronger when talking to a real paddy too.

PrincessDiz

Banríon na Fothrach
Just curious, how many of yall actually fluent in Gaelic?
Well we are all taught it throughout primary school, that’s ages 4-12. We also have summer schools where you go for 3-6 weeks and you can’t speak any English at all in that duration. My son has done this every year since he was 6. I’d say about 40 - 50% are able to speak Irish fluently as adults. If not speak it definitely an awful lot can understand it. It’s becoming more and more popular this last few years. It had dropped in popularity but it’s definitely picked back up.

wudbutcher

Bluelighter
Well we are all taught it throughout primary school, that’s ages 4-12. We also have summer schools where you go for 3-6 weeks and you can’t speak any English at all in that duration. My son has done this every year since he was 6. I’d say about 40 - 50% are able to speak Irish fluently as adults. If not speak it definitely an awful lot can understand it. It’s becoming more and more popular this last few years. It had dropped in popularity but it’s definitely picked back up.
I know an Irish lady. Hottest thing ever to hear her talk, fuck French lol.