• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Forensic Science Update: Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate (GHB)

Thanks for your time... As I said before.. i tend to get a tad antagonistic.. when Im trying to get at the heart of something. But please dont take it as a lack of respect.

Im out for now. hope your dinner is a little less distracted.

I have nothing to add but I really appreciate the in depth intelligent debate from all sides, even if to me it appeared somewhat everyone was on the same side :)

As always we are really glad you spend your lunch breaks on bluelight Dr.

Ghostcorps - why dont you go to therapy and deal with your emotional issues, and then you will be much less likely to get a 'bee in your bonnet', or 'i love pushing wheel barrows because it makes me feel better' syndrome.

Have a nice day...

Here's the abstract of the first paper drplatypus mentioned. I was sure I had the whole paper somewhere...?

Forensic cases involving the use of GHB in The Netherlands

Ingrid J. Bosman, and Klaas J. Lusthof

Department of Toxicology, Netherlands’ Forensic Institute, P.O. Box 3110, 2280 GC, Rijswijk, The Netherlands

Received 30 September 2002; revised 14 January 2003; accepted 14 January 2003. ; Available online 2 April 2003.

Abstract
In this study, forensic cases involving the use of Gamma Hydroxy Butyric acid (GHB) from the second half of 1999 through the second half of 2001 in The Netherlands (blood >5 mg/l and urine >10 mg/l) are described. GHB was analysed by GC–MS after lactone formation and using GHB-d6 as internal standard. The results are divided into three groups: cases of chemical submission, cases of driving under the influence and cases of unknown causes of death.

GHB was found in six cases of possible chemical submission. In these cases, relatively low concentrations of GHB were found. The results show that in cases of chemical submission, urine should be analyzed, because GHB is present longer in urine than in blood. The police should collect the samples in containers that do not contain citrate as anticoagulant. Especially at low levels of GHB, the formation of GHB in these tubes hampers an interpretation of the results.

GHB was found in 13 cases of driving under the influence. In contrast to the cases of chemical submission, high concentrations of GHB were found, corresponding with observations of extreme sleepiness or temporary loss of consciousness.

GHB was found in 16 cases of unexplained death: the measured range of GHB concentrations in blood might correspond to effects such as drowsiness, but not to serious toxicity of GHB. In 4 of these 16 cases, the role of GHB could be excluded. In the remaining cases, the role of GHB remains unclear; more research into "background" concentrations of GHB in post-mortem material is required.

The incidence of the use of GHB in The Netherlands cannot be derived from these toxicological data. As GHB is not routinely found during systematical toxicological analyses, these data may seriously underestimate the use of GHB. Therefore, information from the police to the forensic institute is essential.

From PUBMED..

Effects of gamma-hydroxybutyrate on cerebrospinal fluid lactate and glucose levels after spinal cord trauma.

Guney O, Bengi Celik J, Arazi M, Erkan Ustun M.

Department of Neurosurgery.

This study aims to evaluate the effects of gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) after spinal cord trauma (SCT). Twenty rabbits were divided equally into four groups: group I was the sham-operated group, group II suffered from SCT but received no treatment, group III was given a dose of 400 mg/kg of GHB intravenously before SCT and group IV received the same dose after SCT. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) samples were obtained 30 min before SCT ( [Formula: see text] ), at 60 ( [Formula: see text] ) and 120 min ( [Formula: see text] ) after SCT. There was a threefold increase in lactate levels from baseline value at [Formula: see text] in group II, while statistically significant elevation of the lactate levels were not observed in groups III and IV. Glucose levels at [Formula: see text] and [Formula: see text] were significantly lower in groups III and IV compared with the control group. The findings of this study demonstrate that GHB can control the increase of CSF lactate and glucose levels following SCT and that this metabolic effect may be associated with neuroprotective physiological changes.

LINK

&

gamma-hydroxybutyrate protects the liver from warm ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat.

&

Effect of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid on lipid peroxidation and tissue lactate

Anyone with access to the full texts is welcome to forward them on ;p

Last edited: