• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

"FOR YOUR SAFETY!" Is safety just a new religion?

See I go so far as to not even see freedom as a real life construct. I mean, to me it's abstract. It doesn't exist, or I've failed to see it in practice

Am I missing something here? Maybe this has something to do with my mind being free from oppression, but freedom is an oxymoron or simply a poetic turn of phrase

It would be less abstract if you spent time living under a fascist state or if you lost your freedoms.

Absolute freedom... to me this is a spiritual question, more so than a political one. Politically speaking, there are degrees of freedom but never absolute freedom. Freedom and governance are inversely related. Regardless, you can be a lot less free than you are now, trust me.

I would even go so far as to say that people who think freedom is an abstraction are the most at risk of losing it because maintenance of a free democracy requires eternal vigilance of the People. If you believe your freedoms are a given or worse that freedom isn't real then the psychopathic class will easily takeover.

I mean the basic definition is that freedom is to be free. That seems abstract to me

I guess I have trouble seeing where it goes from there

I mean the basic definition is that freedom is to be free. That seems abstract to me

I guess I have trouble seeing where it goes from there

It doesn't go anywhere, that's the point. There's no goal.

Then it's like saying we're all free because we're born free. Then saying but after that we're bound to laws and certain ethical behaviors

I guess what I'm saying is that the point seems moot, i.e there's no point. Freedom is a redundant word not unlike other political terms to keep us smitten. For me I have a difficult time even hearing this word because it's so translucent

Freedom is a translucent state. I like your use of the word.

If I decide my path regardless of who believes they are controlling me, I am truly free despite the perspective of others.

I still feel sad for the coming generations who will have to live through the mess of rules we have built for them to deal with. You would expect humanity to understand that our knowledge and understanding grow over time and rules should fall away, not be added to the pile.

When I began my current career I followed rules, over time I met others who didn't follow the same rules but had fantastic results. Learning to understand my field of expertise and become a true expert in it was a process that took decades and over that time almost all the rules I once held as things I "must do always" became suggestions from people long dead who used to do my job. Sadly a lot of people who actually don't do my job feel those rules I've left on the side, because I understand my job, should be forced onto me.

The rule makers in our world are not experts in my field. They appear to be experts at making rules for others. One thing I always notice is I've been doing this work for more then 3 decades and in that time never once did any of the rule makers ever ask for my opinion.

Even the Canadian government asked for public input on the legalization of marijuana, I wrote a huge paper as did many people in the industry. For the first time the people in the field were asked how the rules should be made.

This week the social lockdown in Canada has been rolled back slightly and I am allowed to go and see my father. He hasn't woke in a week and will pass away without reaching consciousness again. The caregivers in the home would have found ways to make final visits work but they were fearful of breaking rules as well. We've pulled all our rule making into centralized piles and life just doesn't centralize for control well.

Cool. I didn't mean to sound negative by the way, if I did. I don't think safety precautions are ever a bad thing, but it's always the issue of safety education where the gap seems to fit. We need to know why we're being safe and start from there instead of going straight into frenzy mode

Cheers

For humour sake I'll continue my sage of seeing my dying father.

He went into his "final days" near the end of May and we were not allowed in until he was in a coma...

Some family did get in to see him but I had what appeared to be a flu and was disallowed. I was running a fever.

For no reason my father rallied and came back to the conscious world. His condition improved and he is functioning on his own. Once again for his safety no one can visit him as he is now in threat of contracting a virus.

My father has extreme dementia so he thankfully is not having to think why his family is no where while he is dying. At least I truly hope that.

To put this in perspective, due to safety concerns, imagine spending the final months of your life in isolation from your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Not for their safety, but for yours. If my father could have a say in a rule that truly only effects him, he would abolish it.

Last edited:
Heart for sympathy. My dad passed on not long ago after a struggle with dementia and it's a cruel disease to suffer. You're going to have a tough time now, remember him when he was at his best and it will make it a little easier to get through

For humour sake I'll continue my sage of seeing my dying father.

He went into his "final days" near the end of May and we were not allowed in until he was in a coma...

Some family did get in to see him but I had what appeared to be a flu and was disallowed. I was running a fever.

For no reason my father rallied and came back to the conscious world. His condition improved and he is functioning on his own. Once again for his safety no one can visit him as he is now in threat of contracting a virus.

My father has extreme dementia so he thankfully is not having to think why his family is no where while he is dying. At least I truly hope that.

To put this in perspective, due to safety concerns, imagine spending the final months of your life in isolation from your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Not for their safety, but for yours. If my father could have a say in a rule that truly only effects him, he would abolish it.

One of the most fucked up things about this whole thing is all the people dying alone, without their loved ones, both for them, and for their loved ones.

I know my family members even up to 3rd cousins, but they're all around my age and I'm an only child so when I'm on my death bed I'll likely be totally isolated

When my mother passed 6 years ago I spent a summer taking my father back to the town we all grew up in and visiting his old friends. It became apparent to me he was not remember things from only days ago or adding years into recent events. He told me so many childhood stories of him growing up I was a bit shocked how detailed the memories were but stories often were mixed up pieces of other stories.

We did spend enough time together that I am at peace with his death, regardless of visiting or not. I really hope saner heads are in charge when it's my time to shuffle off. I'd hate that we make growing old even more of a prison then we have already.

I realize this is a year old thread but I wrote it out of my anger at the tools who believe in safety through forced rules.

My father, who was kept safe by laws preventing his family from seeing him has now passed away.

On Christmas eve after a year of solitary confinement for his safety my father contracted the covid virus. He didn't get it from family or visitors he got it from staff. Like 60% of Canada's covid 19 deaths my father was isolated in a care home.

We weren't allowed to say goodbye because now he had the virus and we might get it.....

On new years eve they called to say he passed away. We weren't allowed to collect the body for 2 weeks because he had covid.

His funeral that he had previously paid for was in a huge chaple but they only allowed 10 people so some of the grandkids were left outside.

I do hope everyone who made this rule happen gets to also die slowly, painfully and alone.

I realize this is a year old thread but I wrote it out of my anger at the tools who believe in safety through forced rules.

My father, who was kept safe by laws preventing his family from seeing him has now passed away.

On Christmas eve after a year of solitary confinement for his safety my father contracted the covid virus. He didn't get it from family or visitors he got it from staff. Like 60% of Canada's covid 19 deaths my father was isolated in a care home.

We weren't allowed to say goodbye because now he had the virus and we might get it.....

On new years eve they called to say he passed away. We weren't allowed to collect the body for 2 weeks because he had covid.

His funeral that he had previously paid for was in a huge chaple but they only allowed 10 people so some of the grandkids were left outside.

I do hope everyone who made this rule happen gets to also die slowly, painfully and alone.

I pray for justice too. What the people in power are doing to humanity right now is criminal. If it goes on much longer, we all need to start fighting back. They can't keep taking away our freedoms and human connections like this. It's creating other ills and destroying lives.

@Yourbaker I'm sorry for your loss, I can imagine it must have been very hard.

The country has become very fascist lately and, I wish I could say it was just Trudeau but I noticed this authoritarian trend under Harper as well. There is no longer any reason for us to have the pretense of democracy when all the parties just steward us along a predestined trajectory.

Thanks for the sentiments, I'm experienced at handling lose, since my father's death I've buried my best friend as well to a drug overdose. This is the 15th time I've buried my best friend. Sometimes it feels like my friendship should come with a warning label. I live at the bottom rung of society where the mistakes made above become amplified the most.

I'm pretty much done listening to fools that have placed themselves in authority.

When the day comes we can vote on issues not idiots I'll re-engage with democracy.

In the mean while I'm gonna go work on exactly that, changing democracy in Canada to reflect the will of the people. Shouldn't take too much effort we all want it just need to drop an easy system into place and let the old one deteriorate. We don't even need a revolution this time there isn't anyone left that wants to keep heading like lemmings over the edge.