• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids For those of you on methadone maintenance, do you feel your dose kick in?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
If so, can you describe exactly what it is that it does to you? Same goes for anybody who's ever been on MMT but isn't any longer. Also, can you please say what dose you were on and for how long?

I've been on MMT since January, 2014 so going on a year and a half now. Despite the fact that nearly everyone has a consensus that methadone does not in fact get you high, or that you only might get buzzed for a little while after starting MMT but it will quickly disappear and you build tolerance to it....well I've never found that to be the case. I'm not sure whether it's because my definition of being high is that much different from the next guy, or because I'm on such a high dose (220 mg, although I should theoretically still have build tolerance since I've been on that dose for 6 months now) or if it's because my metabolism differs from most people (I certainly find it wears off faster than normal, and I can even feel moderately sick the next morning before my dose including sneezing, goosebumps and most importantly mydriasis - pupil dilation - because that would show it isn't psychological or at least not completely). I do find that it hits me harder if I feel sick or haven't had my dose in a longer time than usual, even if just by a few hours.

Anyway, I really can't describe the feeling of it kicking in as anything other than being high. It's a fairly strong, relaxing buzzed opiate feeling. Not only that, but it's much more similar to the high you get from using a strong opiate such as oxy or hydromorphone rather than the vague, but present general opiate feeling you get from taking a bunch of codeine; you know what I mean - it feels like an opiate, and you feel a sort of "background high" for quite a while, yet it never begins or peaks with quite the same degree of pleasure as the strong opiates do. This happens to me daily, at my prescribed dose (although it certainly lasts longer if I take a lot more) and is normally discernible as a fairly intense high for about 2-3 hours. After this, it too fades into the background for the rest of the day, although if I'm just lying around I can certainly still feel it. Have you all noticed how opiate highs tend to come through in waves? Like you'll feel basically normal and only a very slight feeling that you've taken something after awhile, but then you inexplicably feel a wave of "highness" lasting for several seconds even though you weren't thinking about it? Same thing with withdrawal - I may feel mostly normal at first, but then I will get a wave of being uncomfortable, overheating and sweating and chills, then it fades back to normal and then recurs with increasing length and frequency if I continue not using.

I've just always wondered how normal this is, if anyone else knows what I'm talking about and such. Like I said, it definitely goes beyond just simply feeling a drug take effect in that I feel normal with maybe a bit of energy or something. It's a definite and persistent opiate high. It also usually recurs quite strongly later that night if I take diphenhydramine or certain other anticholinergics.

EDIT - I would describe the initial high in strength or intensity as somewhere between that of a really strong pod tea, and an injection of maybe 4 mg of Dilaudid with no tolerance (but without the sensation of an instant rush, or that muscle tightening feeling that D's somehow produce that no other opiate I've tried does)

Last edited:
Hey Bomb, I'm not on MMT but my boyfriend is and has been for 8 years so figured I would answer some of your ?'s He was all the way up to 120mg then tapered down to 60mg. He is currently at 90 mg and has stabilized.

He def feels his dose kick in..he gets energy and a bit of a warm glow. Very talkative and bouncing around from one thing to another without realizing it. After about 3 hours he then gets really sleepy and naps freauently.

If he ever takes more than prescribed or if he takes even a very small amount of benzo (don't do this!!!) He will start to nod off. When he was at 120mg he would nod off every morning in fact.

He has really fast metabolism also and by the end of the night his pupils are a pretty decent size.

no.

on 70mls/day. sometimes i can catch a nod if i potentiate it with potent benzodiazepines or the occasional use of on top gear, but as a rule it just makes me a bit lethargic and it ruins my appitite.

ps. in the spirit of buelight and hr principles my polydrug use is risky and nobody should mix different opiates, opioids or benzodiazepines

Last edited:
I've been on suboxone for about the same time, something that has an even greater reputation for NOT getting you high, and i feel my dose kick in every day forsureeee, although not the same "real" opiate feeling, but then again sub (as a partial agonist) isn't a "real" opiate, so that's to be expected. Still, I get a solid mood lift and am more talkative, on certain days, I'll even get some pretty decent euphoria. So ya tolerance is extremely variable and given our extremely limited knowledge of the mechanism of tolerance (within the actual neuroscience/physiology of it all), it is reasonable to assume that some people may have much slower receptor changes that make the buzz potentially chronic.

damn, 220mg tho? That almost puts my 16mg sub dose to shame ahahahahaha.

I do my own MMT at home, on my terms...don't ask. Lol

I do 30mg per 1st , then drop to 20, then down to zero...quick tapers.
Yes, I feel it kick in.

Dones make me hyperfocus on one thing, it's weird...I'll either obsessive clean, watch videos, play games, etc.

I'm a snorter, so I hate the time release/oral from dones.

You're on a hella high dose. That's my fear, going to the clinic and them pushing a high dose. I like control of my own taper.

Thanks for the replies :) For those who mentioned the stimulation you get from it - I agree entirely. In fact, it's such a potent stimulant for me that I inadvertently piss off everyone around me because I simply can't stop talking lol. Even my parents - if visiting them, I'll be unstoppable. If at my place, I have been known to call many times and email 5 times a day because there's so much that I want to say somehow, and go into much detail. Conversely, if going through withdrawal or if I skipped a day of methadone to do more on the previous day, I become (temporarily) so withdrawn and isolated, I very rarely leave my apartment unless I have to, make up excuses NOT to talk to my parents or friends, and have a very hard time eating anything either. This is even after one day sans methadone, and I'm sure a huge component of it is learned behavior since these are the exact same patterns I fell into while living alone in another city, having become extremely addicted. It was such hell doing the daily grind, never knowing if and where my next desperate hit was coming from and dreading being sick like the plague.

i have been on and off methadone since 1988, i always felt my doses. finally i detoxed again about 3 years ago..that was hard .have your detox kit ready.i still get some satisfaction!

OK so it definitely seems as if some people still do get high after long term treatment, even if it's fairly rare. Like I said before, it isn't just feeling suddenly stimulated as much as going from "meh" or "bleh" to "ahhh, strong opiate kicking in". I'm not even necessarily saying it's a good thing, because this probably only happens because I feel some degree of withdrawal first. Missing a day is enough to make me quite ill, but nowhere near as bad as a full cold turkey for many days would be, of course. It might be better for my recovery to simply feel normal consistently instead of having highs and lows. On the other hand, I look forward to the buzz enough that I'm able to stay completely away from other opiates now, and even all other drugs entirely including alcohol. That is mostly because I never became addicted to anything else and rarely drank.

bomb,ur on an extremely high dose,Texas clinics wont dose that high. getting off methadone is way tougher than heroin.i got tired of being policed by clinics.