• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol For how long do you need to drink to get WD's???

johnloperamide

Bluelighter
So this is mostly out of pure curiosity, and I know the answer will vary a lot between each person but maybe there is a certain consensus..

So I've been drinking every night for 10 nights in a row, tonight will be the 11th... I drink Jack and coke only, I can't stand anything else.. Having zero history with alcohol abuse, how much longer do you think I'd need to keep this up to actually go through WD????
I'm obviously not going to keep this going, once I finish this bottle I am out

I've been drinking probably 5-6 shots a night on average, sometimes a bit more and sometimes less.. The first few nights is when I drank the most and then just started drinking less just to get a buzz and chill a bit

I read somewhere than if you NEVER drink two nights in a row that you will NEVER experience WD, is that true at all? I've also read that only people who drink throughout the day, the morning to prevent hangovers and stuff trully become dependent, that people who only drink a bit at night don't really...

Anyway, I'd love to hear other people's take on this

BTW I am aware that my drinking habit is nothing compared to heavy drinkers but compared to people who only drink socially what I have been doing is a lot and by just telling people what I've been doing they all say it's a problem and gotta stop

you probably can continue to drink 6 shot at night forever without going to WD it's nowhere near the daily amount you need to drink

you probably can continue to drink 6 shot at night forever without going to WD it's nowhere near the daily amount you need to drink

Are you serious? wow... I still need to stop cause I think it's wrong plus I end up sleeping like crap every night and I am sick of it....

How much would one need to drink to actually experience WD then?

i've been drinking 6-12 beers a day for the last 10 years... a few days ago i thought i had a stomach ulcer (really i think i may have tore or pulled something while moving stove/washer/dryer) so i didn't have a drink for 3 days - absolutely no WD. was surprised.

Personally I could drink a couple weeks in a row and then stop without any WD's before I ever did become dependent. Now, if I drink a few days in a row and stop I shake, feel anxious etc.

Alcohol is the worst drug IMO, for many reasons. Please do quit while you can.

Alcohol is horrible I agree with you... and idk how people can drink during the day, today I tried drinking at 4:30pm and I just hate it, I can't describe how much I do.. I just want nighttime to come. I hate that I drank during the day, it was just an experiment though and never again... And yes I really will stop after this

I used to work with these guys that would drink while they worked and this was framing houses mind you ,real physical labor. anyway one day I said what the fuck and got loaded with them and it was one of the longest least enjoyable days of my life. I don't know how or why anybody would want to work while drunk!
Oh and WDs usually take many years of heavy drinking to appear and it seems faster with hard liquor.

I used to work with these guys that would drink while they worked and this was framing houses mind you ,real physical labor. anyway one day I said what the fuck and got loaded with them and it was one of the longest least enjoyable days of my life. I don't know how or why anybody would want to work while drunk!
Oh and WDs usually take many years of heavy drinking to appear and it seems faster with hard liquor.

I don't understand it either... I guess either you love it or you don't

Thnks for this info ive started drinking due to chronic pain and was worried about abother dependency on top of opiates. .....but i guess i can drink every night

On the working while drunk.....its not a matter of liking workimg drunk....j.u st hating reality......u are hapoy people thats why u dont understsmd why someone meeds to be drunk amd high 24 7 even at work

I drank solid for three years. I would drink a quarter of a handle of evan williams, and a 12pack of ice beer every night....That lead to some bad withdrawals....I would always begin drinking at the end of work while I was closing the restaurant. I would have maybe three beers while I was closing in that hour.

It takes a long time of steady drinking to develop withdrawals. Mine were like a never ending fever dream. My world was dysphoric at best for about four days, then it slowly got better. I could barely work, my boss kept trying to get me to take a shot of vodka because I was messing up orders, and you can't do that in fine dining. I also had a morphine and cocaine habit at the time which made things worse. I stopped drinking because my girl got pregnant. I wanted to actually be the dad I didn't have because of the same reason. I got and stayed sober over the next three months. I stayed sober for the whole pregnancy, and I slipped up and drank a couple beers or smoked a little pot once in awhile until my son was 1 1/2...then my girl kidnapped him, and I fell into deep despair and began drinking and using again.

Don't get started. Its a never ending cycle once you start, and I for one cannot pick up the first drink because I will indeed get drunk.

On the working while drunk.....its not a matter of liking workimg drunk....j.u st hating reality......u are hapoy people thats why u dont understsmd why someone meeds to be drunk amd high 24 7 even at work

I'm not a happy person... I got nothing in life... and I still don't understand drinking 24/7.. All drinking does is remind me why I'm not happy... You really do sound like you have a problem though

It can be a fine line between hangover/anxious feeling and true withdrawals. I used to always start drinking because of the nervous gaba rebound feeling in the morning. It doesn't take long for that to turn into actual w.d.'s from drinking all day every day.

So this is mostly out of pure curiosity, and I know the answer will vary a lot between each person but maybe there is a certain consensus..

So I've been drinking every night for 10 nights in a row, tonight will be the 11th... I drink Jack and coke only, I can't stand anything else.. Having zero history with alcohol abuse, how much longer do you think I'd need to keep this up to actually go through WD????
I'm obviously not going to keep this going, once I finish this bottle I am out

I've been drinking probably 5-6 shots a night on average, sometimes a bit more and sometimes less.. The first few nights is when I drank the most and then just started drinking less just to get a buzz and chill a bit

I read somewhere than if you NEVER drink two nights in a row that you will NEVER experience WD, is that true at all? I've also read that only people who drink throughout the day, the morning to prevent hangovers and stuff trully become dependent, that people who only drink a bit at night don't really...

Anyway, I'd love to hear other people's take on this

BTW I am aware that my drinking habit is nothing compared to heavy drinkers but compared to people who only drink socially what I have been doing is a lot and by just telling people what I've been doing they all say it's a problem and gotta stop

Perhaps you should/could consider asking yourself a different question like why am I drinking that much if I have no history?

Or maybe you are going through something, but by drinking every night you are letting the problem be on hold for a while.

Are you okay? Why are you feeling the urge to drink? I don't mean to be intrusive at all.
No judgments here, just concerned you might be missing something important here.

Perhaps you should/could consider asking yourself a different question like why am I drinking that much if I have no history?

Or maybe you are going through something, but by drinking every night you are letting the problem be on hold for a while.

Are you okay? Why are you feeling the urge to drink? I don't mean to be intrusive at all.
No judgments here, just concerned you might be missing something important here.

No, I am not okay at all... I'm just dealing with things how I can but I just wanted some opinions on how harmful what I'm doing is, and general consensus seems to be that I am not in danger of WD'ing this way, still I have zero intention of keeping it up but I was curious.

Eh, I think you need to pretty much drink 24/7 to get w/d's...did have some friends that would drink beer all the time and would get shakes when they would stop..Alchohol is the ONE drug I don't like doing all the time 24/7, which is probly a good thing, it just feels crappy and doesn't make me happy, I would usuallly just end up being a crying mess. NO Thanks, give me opiates, benzo's, or amhetimnes for my misery....

I think that it is different for everyone.

I drank daily in large amounts for 6 months, and when I slowly cut back I had no withdrawals at all.

I know other people who drank daily for a week or two and they had withdrawals.

If you drink a lot do not just slowly cut back on your own like I did, and seek medical advice and tell people you are doing this. I did quit drinking daily alone because I did not want my family to know how much I was drinking and drinking daily, and I saw a link and advice years ago here on bluelight that does not get posted anymore that said it was best to slowly cut back alcohol consumption and now people are told to seek medical advice or supervision instead.

Are you serious? wow... I still need to stop cause I think it's wrong plus I end up sleeping like crap every night and I am sick of it....

How much would one need to drink to actually experience WD then?

An alchoolic i know say he has to drink two bottles of wine in the morning just to kick off the tremor...then continue all day...so imagine how much his daily amount is. However you don't need going through WD to have a drinking problem...many heavy drinker never really withdrawl

I've heard of people going on school trips lasting a week, drinking all the time and getting wds when they came home.

johnnyloperamide: Take it from me. Do not use alcohol to help cope. It becomes your security blanket when things get rough, and it becomes very easy to go from a casual drinker to a problem drinker and not even realize it. Most of the time someone else has to point it out to you.

I say this from experience. If you are knee deep in shit drinking alcohol will raise it waist level, and finally over your head. Your problems will be magnified because now you have to drink to feel like yourself. Chances are you will justify it by surrounding yourself with other likeminded individuals....I threw a lot of house parties so my drinking didn't seem so bad.

Also, no problem is ever insurmountable. If you need help and encouragement there are so many people on here that help and encourage me daily.

Hopefully, things get better, but pm me if you just want to vent.