Folk

Julie Fowlis [2018] - The Song of the Seal

A traditional Gaelic song from the voice of the seal people or selkies. Creatures who were said to shed their seal skin and take on the human form at certain times of the year. Creatures who moved between the parallel worlds of sea and land, but never truly belonging to either.​

Enchanting vocals.
Julie Fowlis [2018] - The Song of the Seal

A traditional Gaelic song from the voice of the seal people or selkies. Creatures who were said to shed their seal skin and take on the human form at certain times of the year. Creatures who moved between the parallel worlds of sea and land, but never truly belonging to either.​

Steeleye Span [1973] - Gaudete

Rejoice ye, rejoice ye!
Christ is born
Of the Virgin Mary –
Rejoice!

The time of grace has come—
What we have wished for;
Songs of joy
Let us give back faithfully.

God has become man,
With nature marveling,
The world has been renewed
By the reigning Christ.

The closed gate of Ezekiel
Is passed through,
Whence the light is risen;
Salvation has been found.

Therefore, let our assembly
Now sing in brightness
Let it bless the Lord:
Salvation to our King.

steeleye-span-76d72795-5bc2-4dc2-a406-c5cde5807fc-resize-750.jpeg

Gaudete is a sacred Christmas carol, thought to have been composed in the 16th century. It was included in Piae Cantiones, a collection of Finnish/Swedish sacred songs published in 1581.

Steeleye Span [1973] - Gaudete

Rejoice ye, rejoice ye!
Christ is born
Of the Virgin Mary –
Rejoice!

The time of grace has come—
What we have wished for;
Songs of joy
Let us give back faithfully.

God has become man,
With nature marveling,
The world has been renewed
By the reigning Christ.

The closed gate of Ezekiel
Is passed through,
Whence the light is risen;
Salvation has been found.

Therefore, let our assembly
Now sing in brightness
Let it bless the Lord:
Salvation to our King.

Gaudete is a sacred Christmas carol, thought to have been composed in the 16th century. It was included in Piae Cantiones, a collection of Finnish/Swedish sacred songs published in 1581.

Thank you for sharing.

Kolbeinn Tumason [1207] - Hear, Smith of Heavens

Hear, smith of the heavens,
what the poet asks.
May softly come unto me
thy mercy.
So I call on thee,
for thou hast created me.
I am thy servant,
thou art my Lord.

I call on thee
to heal me.
Remember me, prince of peace,
Most we need thee.
Drive out, O king of suns,
generous and great,
every human sorrow
from the fortress of the heart.

Watch over me, my savior.
Most we need thee,
through every moment
in this world so wide.
Virgin–born, send me
noble motives now.
All aid cometh from thee,
To my deepest heart.

Kolbeinn Tumason Tumason is best known for composing the hymn Heyr himna smiður ("Hear, Smith of heavens") on his deathbed. It is now a classic and often-sung Icelandic hymn.

Last edited:
Alison Krauss & Union Station

Dobro intro -> The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn -> Take Me For Longing

alison-krauss-040612jpg-7929d37edc792a70.jpg

Alison Krauss - fiddle, vocals
Jerry Douglas - dobro
Dan Tyminski - guitar, vocals
Ron Block - banjo
Barry Bales - bass

Last edited:
Steeleye Span [1970] - All Things Are Quite Silent

All things are quite silent, each mortal at rest,
When me and my true love lay snug in one nest,
When a bold set of ruffians broke into our cave,
And they forced my dear jewel to plough the salt wave.

I begged hard for my darling as I would for my life.
But they'd not listen to me although a fond wife,
Saying: The king must have sailors, to the seas he must go,
And they left me lamenting in sorrow and woe.

Through green fields and meadows we of times have walked,
And the fond recollections together have talked,
Where the lark and the blackbird so sweetly did sing,
And the lovely thrushes' voices made the valleys to ring.

Now although I'm forsaken, I won't be cast down.
Who knows but my true love some day may return
And will make me amends for my trouble and strife,
And me and my true love might live happy for life.

Press gangs were a legal and much-used means of making up the numbers for British Naval crews during the 18th and early 19th century. It seems that even the marriage bed was no insurance against being pressed to sea. To maintain the crews inside the ‘wooden walls of England’ in the hellish conditions below decks, press-gangs forced men when there were no volunteers, and wives and sweethearts were left behind to mourn.

Appalling conditions on board ships of the “King's Navee” in the 18th and early 19th Centuries meant plenty of work for the men of the press-gangs. After having raised as many recruits as possible by posting patriotic bills in the market towns around the seaport, the captains of the ships of the line would send out press-gangs to search the courts, the streets and the inns. If these methods brought insufficient numbers, they would not stop short of dragging a man from his marriage bed.​

The history of press gangs is truly sobering. It's hard to imagine the desperation and fear experienced by those affected. The sacrifices made by families left behind weigh heavy on the heart. As an amateur anglo concertina player, I can't help but feel a connection to the stories of those who were pressed into service, their music silenced by the call of the sea.

Steeleye Span [1971] - Lovely on the Water

liveatlast_4.jpg

"Lovely on the Water" (Roud 1539) is an English folk song. A written version was collected by Ralph Vaughan Williams from the singing of Mr Hilton at South Walsham, Norfolk on 11 April 1908, and published in the Journal of the Folk Song Society. Vaughan Williams' hand-written notes and transcription can be viewed via the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library online, as well as an audio rendering of the transcription.​

Steeleye Span [1971] - Lovely on the Water

liveatlast_4.jpg

"Lovely on the Water" (Roud 1539) is an English folk song. A written version was collected by Ralph Vaughan Williams from the singing of Mr Hilton at South Walsham, Norfolk on 11 April 1908, and published in the Journal of the Folk Song Society. Vaughan Williams' hand-written notes and transcription can be viewed via the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library online, as well as an audio rendering of the transcription.​

The vocals are heavenly. By the way this is what I am listening to right know:

I am very proud to present this wonderful Ukrainian folk band. I discovered them more than ten years ago. During this time, they have released several studio albums, but as for me, nothing compares to their live performances. I even started using youtube to mp3 converter to record their best live performances in my collection!

Thank you for sharing. Your band maybe folk but the beat is lively and modern and I love it.