• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Fishing

Put the boat in today.. scouted the damn.. looks like there is a nice point river right that may be a good place to anchor behind. Picked out all the cat gear, but im going to wait and buy it with the kiddo as he will like that. I think there is a good chance of getting a big one.

I stopped fishing around 2008 before that i was an avid shore fisherman. never had the chance to get on a boat so the biggest fish i have ever caught was a 37" striped bass. i lost the picture of that one but i do have this pic which is a 33" that i caught in 2008.
2FZFHRb.jpg

Missed a very nice deal on a 17 foot crestliner as it was already sold this morning.

I have the little 14 foot alumacraft on the boat hoist already so im going to take that out tomorow evening and we are going to go for some walleyes at dusk and then slip into trying for the cats.

Should be fun

Pulled in eight cats of varrying sizes Inc like a four pounder. They were pretty thick and feeding hard. Saw a two that looked to be ten pounders. So I'm thinking there are some big cats to be had:)

Looks like decent walleye spot to try as well.

We also caught two small mouths.

Picked up all our cat gear today and are going to head out tonight and see how we do..

Pulled in some small cats and two decent three pounders. Had a big one snap ten pound test. Also brought in three gars and a small mouth. Kido lost decent pike close up to the boat. Fun evening of fishing.

Was out last night.. caught a few incld a four pounder.. But no huge action.

I looked up the wisco state record.. 79 pounds.

My daughter and I both limited on walleye last weekend, we went out on a charter from Vermillion Oh. on lake Erie. I've lived on or near the lake (now the Detroit river) all my life. Every fall, usually November, I'm fishing from a pier at night to catch the walleye that come inshore to feed.

Ooh, last time I went fishin was.. 2015 no, 2017? Yeah. I wanna go back but with this Pretzel you can't do shit.

Bass opened last weekend

Not usually my thing but since moving here some years ago I haven’t had much choice (not much for trout ... I’d have to drive an hr or more) lol

Thinking I should put some new line on my reels and head out this well

I've been fishing more than ever this summer due to extra time off because of COVID. It's been great, I've caught a lot of new species I've never caught before. My main quarry right now is carp of all things, fished in the British fashion... but I've yet to catch one.

@S.J.B. What bait are ya using for carp? What sort of rig?
Using a hair rig:

hair+rig.jpg

For the hook bait I've used sweet corn, feed corn, tiger nuts, peanuts, and combinations thereof. I've also chummed with all sorts of baits, mostly feed corn, but also sweet corn, peanuts, tiger nuts, and oatmeal mixed with Jello powder. It's been an intensely hot summer so tough fishing overall but I'm hoping for some better luck with the arrival of cooler temperatures.

Not really into carp myself but sometimes it’s all that’s open around here so I was doing some reading and asking those more skilled..maybe the following might help lol

Are you using a bolt rig with the hair rig?

You could try baiting the swim for a few days before you want to head out at the time you’d be going fishing

Are you using a bolt rig with the hair rig?

You could try baiting the swim for a few days before you want to head out at the time you’d be going fishing
Yep, I use a bolt rig.

Pre-baiting would almost certainly help, unfortunately I don't have a car and the spots I've been fishing are a decent distance away (I go with a friend who has a car).

I'm pretty optimistic I'll get one soon, my friend has already caught a couple while we were fishing together.

Thanks for the tips!

I do quite a bit of walleye fishing and fly fish local rivers over the winter. The ice we get on area reservoirs (3"-6" generally) just isn't thick enough for me to even consider any ice fishing, although a lot of people risk it every year. If I'm back in Wisconsin or Minnesota visiting friends and family over Christmas, I do still like to ice fish, but if the ice isn't solid enough to support a snowmobile at a minimum, you wont see me on it.

I recently upgraded my walleye rod to a St. Croix Legend Tournament walleye series rod (7' ml, fast action) with a Daiwa Tatula 2500 reel. I use 8lb Nanofil mainline with 8lb P-Line Tactical fluorocarbon for 3'-5' leaders since I fish very clear water most of the time and Nanofil is opaque and visible in the water. I haven't gotten out as much as I like this season (still recovering from neck surgery in November) so I haven't gotten into any walleye bigger than a 24", roughly 5lb pre-spawn female this far. I often catch my biggest walleye in the last few weeks before ice up in the fall, I'm really hoping to do better in coming months. This will be the first year in over a decade I haven't caught at least 1 28"+ walleye if not.

Using a hair rig:

hair+rig.jpg

For the hook bait I've used sweet corn, feed corn, tiger nuts, peanuts, and combinations thereof. I've also chummed with all sorts of baits, mostly feed corn, but also sweet corn, peanuts, tiger nuts, and oatmeal mixed with Jello powder. It's been an intensely hot summer so tough fishing overall but I'm hoping for some better luck with the arrival of cooler temperatures.

If you're after big grass carp, cherry tomatoes are hard to beat.