• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Fishing

Oxytrunks ssj4

Greenlighter
I live in middle tn and was planning a trip to go fishing this weekend and was wondering if anybody else in the area has been lately and if so how did you do and what species did u go after?

I have been trying to catch a huge cat fish for the last two years.. i want like a sixty pounder... have caught allot of fish but not a huge one yet..

this is what i want to catch.. lol..
241924_f5201.jpg

Last edited:
I go trout fishing on backpacking trips but thats about it....

I have been trying to catch a huge cat fish for the last two years.. i want like a sixty pounder... have caught allot of fish but not a huge one yet..

this is what i want to catch.. lol..
241924_f5201.jpg

Damn I thought those fishies were only on a Simpsons episode.

Damn I thought those fishies were only on a Simpsons episode.
are those giant mrkong catfish or something else? Also if you want to catch a big catfish here in the states your best bet is the middle of winter. I catfish hear in tn on a regular basis and the best time for a trophy cat seems to be between christmas and valentines day.

Also update on this weekend where I live the limit on crappie is 30 and that is what I caught sat morning

Nice work.. I'm trying to think of where I used to slay croppies.. they have a little fight in them if I remember kinda bass like.. I've decided that I'm going for muskies in the spring when the ice cleared the river.. yeah they catch the trophies every spring.. but i'm still going to pull in one of those cats.. i have decided over the last couple of years that fishing of the bottom for cats is nonsense.. I think I will just throw something so big out there that the little guys cant eat it.. I may have to fashion a new float.. yeah cities this means war.

not much love in the fishing thread...

so i generally fly fish - wet flies and nymphs mostly. i'm hoping to get out backpacking a little more this summer and want to get a spinning set up. thinking pretty light - maybe a 5' - 5'6" rod and a reel capable of ~100yds or 2lb or 4lb test.

as far as i can tell, reels by shimano and abu garcia seem to be pretty good in terms of quality but i also see reels by companies i have never heard of like pfleuger. my reel search has homed in on this:

shimano sedona 2500fe

anybody have any experience of shimano spinning reels? any other recommendations (for reels or rods)?

alasdair

I live in middle tn and was planning a trip to go fishing this weekend and was wondering if anybody else in the area has been lately and if so how did you do and what species did u go after?

Hit the harpeth off Arno road south of franklin. Decent trout as of late bro

Me and my kiddo going to take a trophy cat this summer,, pictures to come.. but this is what we are casting for.. not jug fishing like these guys

Catfish.jpg

not much love in the fishing thread...

so i generally fly fish - wet flies and nymphs mostly. i'm hoping to get out backpacking a little more this summer and want to get a spinning set up. thinking pretty light - maybe a 5' - 5'6" rod and a reel capable of ~100yds or 2lb or 4lb test.

as far as i can tell, reels by shimano and abu garcia seem to be pretty good in terms of quality but i also see reels by companies i have never heard of like pfleuger. my reel search has homed in on this:

shimano sedona 2500fe

anybody have any experience of shimano spinning reels? any other recommendations (for reels or rods)?

alasdair

ali what fish are you going 4? I might be able to help out.. esp if fresh water

For speckled trout and gray trout around here (coast of NC) I use a quantum smoke inshore 2500 reel on Star Seagus 4-8 lb class rod. Super light weight and easy to cast all day

i have an overnight pack and the rods can go on the outside so two-piece is fine. i have an aversion to telescopic poles anyway :)

alasdair

I know the cheap ones are shit, but I owned a nice one that I really liked until it ended up at the bottom of a rapids in a canoe dump.

For speckled trout and gray trout around here (coast of NC) I use a quantum smoke inshore 2500 reel on Star Seagus 4-8 lb class rod. Super light weight and easy to cast all day
that sounds like a great setup - especially the reel - but i think i'm looking to spend a little less than $300 on my set up :)

quantum reels were not really on my radar before so thanks for that.

alasdair

These are what im going for. With the size bait im goi ng to be useing might land a few muskies as well. Flat heads are the big daddies I really want.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/species/catfish.pdf

1. Use the Right Bait
Catfish exceeding 10 pounds primarily eat fish, so when targeting heavyweights, you’ll be more successful if you use fish baits. Some, like minnows and goldfish, can be purchased at bait shops. Others are collected using hook and line, bait traps, cast nets or specialty products like sabiki rigs (check local regulations first).
Oily baitfish such as shad, herring and suckers are tops. Others to try include carp, chubs, goldeyes and sunfish. Use live fish for big flatheads; they rarely eat anything else.Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish/10-best-tips-catfishing/#ixzz47GgTHt9x
The nocturnal habits that bring catfish out from their daytime hiding places offer anglers the best opportunity to hook one of these bewhiskered fish. But you better not be in a hurry; catfish are not fast eaters. Experienced catfish anglers will head out to their favorite riverbank with a variety of baits. If your goal is to land a giant flathead, forget any bait that's not big and alive. Flathead bait includes suckers, carp, shad, sunfish, bullheads and channel catfish (Fig. 3). To catch a 30 to 40 pound flathead, anglers use live fish that weigh a pound or more.
Flathead catfish differ in their habits. Most become inactive when the water temperature drops below 45 degrees. But these normally sedentary fish roam and feed ravenously during high water periods in spring, and again in autumn when they’re gorging to put on pounds prior to entering the period of winter torpor.

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish/10-best-tips-catfishing/#ixzz47Gimcz8C
but as a general rule, the best fishing is right before a storm when atmospheric pressure begins to drop. Catfish often quit feeding the day or two before a front appears and seem insatiable when it arrives. Feeding activity peaks as the front approaches and remains at a high level until it passes through. On the day after the storm has passed, fishing success is usually off considerably, but a day or two later, the cats will be back to normal feeding patterns.

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish/10-best-tips-catfishing/#ixzz47Gjn95Io
When still-fishing from shore, it’s important to set up where action will be best. The area just below a river dam provides some of the best channel cat action, especially if you can cast to the slack-water areas between open gates. Many bank fishermen set up below tributaries, or at the junction of two rivers. Fishing near fallen trees at the head of a deep pool on an outside bend of the river also can lead to good catches.

Drift-fishing is an active approach that helps you help the cats find your bait. You can drift-fish in a boat or drift-fish your bait below a bobber.
When in a boat, use a drift rig comprised of a bottom-bouncer sinker placed on the line above a barrel swivel to which is attached a 2- to 3-foot leader with a 4/0 hook on the end. A small bobber added on the leader just above the hook floats the bait above the bottom so catfish can see it.

^this is what we were having good luck doing

catfish are spawning. Egg-laying females and nest-guarding males enter cavities then and may not feed at all. If you’re fishing during this time, you may find it much more difficult to entice a bite from any of the three major species.
Tailwaters below big-river dams are among the very best catfishing hotspots. Big tailwater catfish favor churning, well-oxygenated water where baitfish are readily available, but to conserve energy, they seek slack-water holding spots within these areas. The “grooves” of slower-moving water between open gates or running turbines offer just these conditions.

This will be where the hunt begins

0412000155-l.jpg