• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

First time using fentanyl patch... 4hours in, need advice

Momotho165

Greenlighter
Sup guys, long time lurker. I put on a 50mcg/hour fentanly patch, and I have a decent history of opiate experience. I can easily handle 16mg of hydromorphone, snorted. I'm reading more about the patch and am getting a little sketched out but don't want to wage it, as I believe I'll be fine. I put it on 3 hours ago about. I'd say my tollerance do opiates is pretty high, doing some form of opiates about twice a week for the last 2-3 months.. I've combined 3mg of Xanax with 20mg of dilaudid before, if that gives you an idea, it was awesome. Anyway, do you guys have any experience with a patch like mine with a similar opiTe history ( I know it was brief)

Update: I took off the patch. Anyone know if I can still use this thing though?

Last edited:
Not really sure what the question was; you were concerned about your safety to the patch at that level? How were you feeling, subjectively? I assume not near nod territory or you'd have told us so; tolerance wise I don't think you have a great deal to worry about. The combination of benzodiazepines, though, is potentially dangerous, especially if you add alcohol or other CNS depressants to the mix. Especially if this is your first time out with fentanyl, which is (or are a class of) opiates that are a chemically, pharmacologically, and subjectively a bit different from what you may be used to. You might very well wind up disappointed. I don't like fentanyl, personally. The problem and greatest risk of fentanyl is that the dose that we need to produce an equal amount of euphoria to something like hydromorphone or heroin is that, generally speaking, fentanyl will depress the respiratory system more.

This is all of course entirely subjective, but is a big factor in people overdosing on fentanyl-laced heroin (even when correctly dosed, people will keep doing it because they're not getting as high as they want to.) So I'd say a big no to combining other drugs with this and to take it carefully. You can take the patch off and wipe with cold water and soap and you will stop absorbing the drug reasonably rapidly, i.e. you're not going to put on the patch and go from zero to dying unless you have very low tolerance. The 50mcg/hr patch is equivalent to something like 30mg/day of oral Dilaudid, so you're not in that territory. If you don't add other drugs. That's when things get out of hand.

And yes, you can reuse the patch, although for a limited amount of time as they will dry up and although the drug will be there it will be more or less difficult to use depending on the type of patch. The best way to keep it for reuse relatively short term would be to reattach it to it's orginal packaging in a sealed zip lock bag. Time release mechanism can and will get wonky if it's exposed to extreme variances in environment, though, before reapplying it, but it is not a huge concern for you in all likelihood.

Thanks for the reply. Sweet I should handle 30mg of oral dilaudid just fine.
Yes that was my original question ha. I'm not planning on adding in any other drugs with the patch. When I took off the patch a lot of the adhesive material stuck to my arm. Is it still safe to use, or would the missing adhesive change the administration of the fentanly?

Well I cut the patch in half.. and put both halfs back on and they stick fine. Should I be concerned about the adhesive material being messed up?

It could change it, more or less, but with your tolerance I wouldn't worry too much. Soap and water. I say cold soap because heat can increase absorption. Which if you want to do is another thing entirely. Again, just keep an eye on how you're feeling but remember that you won't get as high on fentanyl as you will with the dillies without more respiratory depression, as a general rule.