• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help First time post- using methadone to fast taper off opioids? (Older post)

Chem-man

Bluelighter
I have been trying to get off prescription hydrocodone and oxycodone for years. I have been taking much more than prescribed and have tried cold turkey and tapering (and failed) many times. I have found something on the internet that says to use a fast taper of methadone to be able to avoid a lot of withdrawals.
Here is what I have done
1. On Thursday I took 4x 10 mg methadone ( 2 in the am, then 1 at noon, then 1 in the evening)
2. On Friday I took 3 x 10 mg methadone ( 1 in the am, 1 at noon, 1 in the evening)
3. Today , Saturday, I took 2 x 10 mg methadone ( 1 mid morning, 1 late afternoon)
4. I plan on taking 1 x 10 mg methadone tomorrow then go back to work Monday .

So far, I feel pretty good. A little tired but that’s it. Does anyone have any experience with what to expect? All/any input would be greatly Appreciated!

Last edited:
i haven't ever fast tapered off methadone but i did notice that it was possible to fast taper off heroin (nothing scientific, usually by mistake by not being able to use/score for some reason) with very little pain compared to what i'd expect. unfortunately i would then go and use again as soon as i got the chance because stopping using and staying clean are completely different. get some psychological help to address why you have been using more than prescribed and recover mentally.

Follow up. I took 1 x 10 mg methadone today and am pretty tired and grumpy

With getting off opioids you need to clear them from your system and have said system reset. The amount of time needed to clear them from your system is determined by the half life of the substance. Hydrocodone and oxy have really short half lives compared to methadone so you have really increased the amount of time you will spend in the tunnel. Kicking hydro or oxy would have taken less then two weeks before the first miracle. Coming now off the methadone you have likely added at least a week to that. Methadone presents many different half lives as different people process the drug at varying speeds. The longest is like 90 days, on average i think it will take aboutb two weeks to clear and a week or less for your system to greatly reset. You can do this!!

I may have messed up then, I was really hoping that I could switch off the hydros and oxys for this 4 day fast taper with methadone (Short enough to not get addicted to methadone) and still be able to function at work. But I’m afraid you are right, I may have just traded a short withdrawal for a longer one. Crap. I guess if there were an easy way off hydros there wouldn’t be a problem.

Yep, there is no easy way out. <3 If your considering a maintenance program I would go for subs, Methadone is deity of a drug and people often make the mistake of classifying it as a lower order drug because its used in addiction treatment. Its major and rolls like this, or has this diversified an effect.

Here is more info on methadone you may find helpful

I have known a couple of Indians that used methadone to get of poppy pods it worked for them 4-day plan like yours. I think you should have had more time off work because you will feel fatigued. They still felt like shit for about 10 days but no nearly as bad as cold turkey. But poppy pods take longer to clear system then heroin. I tried it on my first detox but would take to much have no control i was making myself to comfortable so on day 2 went cold turkey route.I think you better of getting pregablin will take all the wd away plus you clearing opium out your system and not adding more in it

Last edited:
Kratom, pregabalin and clonidine are your good friends when quitting opioids/opiates. Pregabalin helps with pain, clonidine with the cold and hot feelings.
Having some benzos is good and anti-psychotics help you to knock yourself out. I needed them like a bull.
Don't know about kratom myself, but i have heard good stuff.
With getting off opioids you need to clear them from your system and have said system reset. The amount of time needed to clear them from your system is determined by the half life of the substance.
In Norway and Finland there was back in days this program to get off Heroin.
It involved going to sauna for 8 hours in day and drinking these sports drinks there.
Then eating, sleeping, but the idea was to get shit out of body fast as possible and sauna actually helps super much in opioid withdrawals. Every Finnish rehab i have been on has provided sauna.
Good luck.
Methadone has a pretty long half life. I’d imagine you’re not going to feel too bad yet but after that last dose you’d better be prepared to feel bloody awful after a day or so.
Super true. I did 1mg of bupre, which has similiar half-life as methadon, before rehab and it took me 4 full days to get to full blown withdrawals.
Diz, I gotta say that even if i'm acting like a jerk sometimes I actually respect the amount of information you provide.

If i knew then what I know now I would have dealt with oxy withdrawals and never touched methadone
My fast taper turned into 2 years, mostly because I had no help and was told by the methadone doctor i needed to stabilize on methadone before the taper. By the time I was feeling well I traded addictions
I wouldn't recommend methadone to anyone unless they were using it for long term. It's to evil to get away from.

Thanks for all the feedback, I really do appreciate it. Frankly, it feels good to finally talk about it.
Taking methadone for a four days while tapering the dose seemed like a good plan but I may have messed up. I will keep everyone posted. I don’t feel too bad at the moment, I put a tractor up and schucked some sweet corn... hopefully I won’t feel like complete crap this week.

Just hang in there.. its going to suck.. but on the other end is a degree of freedom. Fight, you got this. <3 At the end of the acute you run up against the mind game that is addiction. But fuck that right now.. steam roll the physical. If you get periods of abstinence then respect the decrease of tolerance and in any relapse go easy as this is the place many people od.

Just hang in there.. its going to suck.. but on the other end is a degree of freedom. Fight, you got this. <3 At the end of the acute you run up against the mind game that is addiction. But fuck that right now.. steam roll the physical. If you get periods of abstinence then respect the decrease of tolerance and in any relapse go easy as this is the place many people od.
That is super helpful, I really do appreciate the encouragement!

If i knew then what I know now I would have dealt with oxy withdrawals and never touched methadone
My fast taper turned into 2 years, mostly because I had no help and was told by the methadone doctor i needed to stabilize on methadone before the taper. By the time I was feeling well I traded addictions
I wouldn't recommend methadone to anyone unless they were using it for long term. It's to evil to get away from.
Thanks, I’m going to stop. Hopefully 4 days won’t be too rough

I have been on and off methadone for years. Tried slow taper, fast taper, cold turkey off of 180mg daily and so on.
I have had decent luck with quick tapers but then the cravings returned and I started using again restarting the cycle...
I say if it is working then stick with it. Know that methadone has a long half life so you may not feel withdrawals for a day or so without it.
I have friends that went through quick 28 day methadone detoxes and came out clean on the other side.
I have mixed feelings about methadone- on one hand it gave me my life back and allowed me to finish school but I feel like I am chained to it. Methadone withdrawals last longer than most opiates- one time, as I came off it, I was unable to drive for 6 or 8 weeks because I was sleep deprived and would suddenly and randomly fall asleep for a few minutes at a time.
Just take it easy but dont get complacent about your taper plan- that is the mistake I make.

Thanks, I didn’t post anything yesterday because I was in bed all day. I haven’t taken any methadone since the 10 mg I took on Sunday (today is Tuesday) and I’m not taking any more of it. I feel less crappy today but am moving around And eating a bit. I have to go back to work tomorrow. I have several hydrocodone pills and am embarrassed that I may have to take some just to function at work. I have a very stressful Wednesday and Thursday coming.

Thanks, I didn’t post anything yesterday because I was in bed all day. I haven’t taken any methadone since the 10 mg I took on Sunday (today is Tuesday) and I’m not taking any more of it. I feel less crappy today but am moving around And eating a bit. I have to go back to work tomorrow. I have several hydrocodone pills and am embarrassed that I may have to take some just to function at work. I have a very stressful Wednesday and Thursday coming.
Sheesh, I’m a grown man and former active duty Marine and I almost cried typing that post...

Don't beat yourself up if you take a small dose of something to just function. It's not worth damaging your work life or family because "technically " it's supposed to be strict cold Turkey. I'm at 13 mg of methadone and when I'm done i wouldn't beat myself up if i had to take a perc to function to keep my job one day.
Only you know if you can do it safely though and you need to be honest with yourself
Don't ever feel shame, we all come from different backgrounds. Every position a person can hold in the world has druggies

I have been on and off methadone for years. Tried slow taper, fast taper, cold turkey off of 180mg daily and so on.
I have had decent luck with quick tapers but then the cravings returned and I started using again restarting the cycle...
I say if it is working then stick with it. Know that methadone has a long half life so you may not feel withdrawals for a day or so without it.
I have friends that went through quick 28 day methadone detoxes and came out clean on the other side.
I have mixed feelings about methadone- on one hand it gave me my life back and allowed me to finish school but I feel like I am chained to it. Methadone withdrawals last longer than most opiates- one time, as I came off it, I was unable to drive for 6 or 8 weeks because I was sleep deprived and would suddenly and randomly fall asleep for a few minutes at a time.
Just take it easy but dont get complacent about your taper plan- that is the mistake I make.
Don't beat yourself up if you take a small dose of something to just function. It's not worth damaging your work life or family because "technically " it's supposed to be strict cold Turkey. I'm at 13 mg of methadone and when I'm done i wouldn't beat myself up if i had to take a perc to function to keep my job one day.
Only you know if you can do it safely though and you need to be honest with yourself
Don't ever feel shame, we all come from different backgrounds. Every position a person can hold in the world has druggies

Thanks, that does help. (y)

I may have messed up then, I was really hoping that I could switch off the hydros and oxys for this 4 day fast taper with methadone (Short enough to not get addicted to methadone) and still be able to function at work. But I’m afraid you are right, I may have just traded a short withdrawal for a longer one. Crap. I guess if there were an easy way off hydros there wouldn’t be a problem.
Possibly not 4 days may not be enough to get your system dependant