• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help First time post- using methadone to fast taper off opioids? (Older post)

Thanks, that does help. (y)
Hey man how are you doing today? My husband and I are about to start methadone on Monday and we both want to do a quick taper as well, we can't detox long enough to get onto subs again (we have waited seriously 50 hours before and took the sub and went into precipitated withdraw because everything has fentanyl in it now I have subs right now but we can't get past the hard part to be able to take them) I would love to be able to get back into subs again we were on them for almost a year and although alot of people say that is really being clean it was the best year of our lives and I wish to God owe never started using again but we did and here we are. We never wanted to use methadone but right now we don't see any other options, we can't go away his family said if we relapsed again they would take our son so we are in this alone and it's very hard to not be able to reach out for help so that's why we are going to do methadone. Anyway I wanted to see how you were doing and how it worked for you.

Hey man how are you doing today? My husband and I are about to start methadone on Monday and we both want to do a quick taper as well, we can't detox long enough to get onto subs again (we have waited seriously 50 hours before and took the sub and went into precipitated withdraw because everything has fentanyl in it now I have subs right now but we can't get past the hard part to be able to take them) I would love to be able to get back into subs again we were on them for almost a year and although alot of people say that is really being clean it was the best year of our lives and I wish to God owe never started using again but we did and here we are. We never wanted to use methadone but right now we don't see any other options, we can't go away his family said if we relapsed again they would take our son so we are in this alone and it's very hard to not be able to reach out for help so that's why we are going to do methadone. Anyway I wanted to see how you were doing and how it worked for you.
So sorry for not following up, I just saw your post. It didn’t work, possibly because I just didn’t have the willpower. I made a more recent post about my going to the Dr and going on Suboxone. It might be worth a read for you, but it sounds like you have some experience with Suboxone.
I hope you and your wife are doing well, this Suboxone is really helping me and I have another follow up dr appointment this Friday. If you have any questions about hydrocodone/oxycodone withdrawals I will try and answer them to the best I can.
My best regards,
Sam

I have been trying to get off prescription hydrocodone and oxycodone for years. I have been taking much more than prescribed and have tried cold turkey and tapering (and failed) many times. I have found something on the internet that says to use a fast taper of methadone to be able to avoid a lot of withdrawals.
Here is what I have done
1. On Thursday I took 4x 10 mg methadone ( 2 in the am, then 1 at noon, then 1 in the evening)
2. On Friday I took 3 x 10 mg methadone ( 1 in the am, 1 at noon, 1 in the evening)
3. Today , Saturday, I took 2 x 10 mg methadone ( 1 mid morning, 1 late afternoon)
4. I plan on taking 1 x 10 mg methadone tomorrow then go back to work Monday .

So far, I feel pretty good. A little tired but that’s it. Does anyone have any experience with what to expect? All/any input would be greatly Appreciated!
I had a serious habit. I detoxed inpatient. It took 6 days. They started me at 30mg on day one and tapered me down to 2mg over the six-day period. It was miserable . This was three years ago.

Don't give up.

I've been free from all drugs (including alcohol) since