• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin First time heroin user, want to be safe as possible. looking for guidance

You aren't going to like this but I'd recommend methadone. You'll have no trouble getting it (unlike other pain meds) and its very strong and long-lasting. For chronic pain, methadone should be divided into multiple doses per day if possible.

Heroin in the US is highly contaminated with fentanyl (which frequently kills veteran opioid addicts). This makes it very unsafe. It also makes dosing difficult. You are headed towards inevitable disaster. If if it doesn't kill you, I can guarantee that if you proceed with this heroin idea, one year from now you'll look back and think, damn I should really have listened to the negro-something guy on that drug website.

Try the methadone. You'll be able to increase the dose until your comfortable. This heroin idea is a disaster. Just trying to look after you!
No do not use methadone it’s worst then heroin and it takes longer to kick and the withdrawal could last months really bad advice why stop one opioid to get on another especially methadone its worst for you im glad i got off that dope juice do not get on methadone you’ll regret it

Don't buy heroin on the street unless you are in the Midwest/central US

Heroin would be cheaper only initially but then your tolerance goes up and being heroin you cannot taper down reliably because purity varies a lot. I predict once you switch to heroin your usage will get out of hand.
Anyway if you can get snortable heroin then just snort it. Smoking it is wasteful and especially if you don't know how to do it properly. It takes practice to smoke if efficiently.
Heroin is not my favourite to do because I am in the UK and we only get heroin base which can only be smoked or IVed and I don't IV. I just get more out of pharmaceuticals personally. In all senses.

Heroin would be cheaper only initially but then your tolerance goes up and being heroin you cannot taper down reliably because purity varies a lot. I predict once you switch to heroin your usage will get out of hand.
Anyway if you can get snortable heroin then just snort it. Smoking it is wasteful and especially if you don't know how to do it properly. It takes practice to smoke if efficiently.
Heroin is not my favourite to do because I am in the UK and we only get heroin base which can only be smoked or IVed and I don't IV. I just get more out of pharmaceuticals personally. In all senses.
Im from the east coast Connecticut to be exact (the tri state area NY/NJ/CT) and our heroin is the brown,white,and gray powder none of that tar bullshit that you have to shoot thats when your life really is going down is when you start shooting always try to sniff it for as long as you can i know you’re gonna feel like its not as strong when you become consistent with sniffing but thats the mistake most users make and when their lives start being hell is when they start shooting the high is shorter and the withdrawals are longer and more worst always stick to sniffing it

It's so sad. Somebody should be able to go to a doctor and be like "my pain is so bad I'm considering suicide or heroin, please help me" and then get proper help (the actual meds they need at the doses they need, not a fucking lecture, not being labeled a drug seeker, not a fucking suggestion to go to rehab or a psych ward)

the world we live in today is so fucked up in some ways.

I'm sorry OP, good luck. I hope you can find a good pain management doctor or if not then a stable supply of decent quality heroin or meds
They wonder why professional people go from pain meds get taken off end up homeless and die. I got taken off by my own fuck up. I get them from my wife now she's getting a no contact order plus divorce. Well my plan will take some painless comfort. I'm disabled and unemployed and I get kicked out because I stood up for my mom. Lied to file the petition no police just her word. Still living together and tonight she wants sex. Been rubbing herself on me. Sorry got off topic but I'm messed up trying to get sober and can't deal with stress tried many times and did it once went in coma wish I didn't

No do not use methadone it’s worst then heroin and it takes longer to kick and the withdrawal could last months really bad advice why stop one opioid to get on another especially methadone its worst for you im glad i got off that dope juice do not get on methadone you’ll regret it

It'd be nice if you didn't speak in such absolutes and explained more about why you hold your belief.

I've been on methadone going on 4 years and I've never, not even once, come even close to regretting the decision. It saved my life.

In this case the op is looking for pain relief, methadone and heroin are both highly risky options, but of the 2 methadone is a lot safer clinically speaking.

Some people regret getting on methadone but many do not and the situation we are talking about is somewhat atypical anyway.

I probably 80% agree with this.

I absolutely agree that it's very likely it won't remain cheaper. Thats my experience as well.

Saying you can't taper down reliably because of purity variability is region specific. Here you could absolutely do that pretty reliably.

Firstly I want to say I've read through many heroin posts on here and absolutely understand starting heroin is not recommended. I've made the decision to at least try it so I'm just looking for guidance so I can be safe. I have chronic pain from an incurable illness. My pain is not nerve pain so I don't respond well to kratom/gabapenton/tramadol/etc. I have not found a dr. willing to prescribe me meds because the guidelines are so strict here in the US. I started buying oxy from a very reliable and affordable source 2 years ago. I have effectively maintained self prescribing and anytime my tolerance gets over 100mg a day I taper myself down. I don't use to get high (no judgement for those who do) I just use enough so that I can function in my daily life (clean my house, take a shower, grocery shop etc). Before I started oxy my life was torment. I never slept because of the pain but I also couldn't get out of bed. I fantasized about killing myself constantly just to escape the hell of constant agony. My marriage was deeply effected because no one wants to live with someone in pain and I wasn't able to contribute anything at all due to being bedridden. I don't regret my decision to start self medicating at all, it saved my life. All that being said, since the pandemic started there has been a huge oxy shortage and prices have more than tripled. I can no longer go through my source and have had to buy questionable pills elsewhere. I can't afford to maintain even just 40mg a day use and some of the pills I've gotten don't feel the same/help with pain which is why I say they're questionable. I do not want to go back to a life of pain and agony. I don't want that for me or my spouse. I communicate everything with my spouse, they were very weary of me trying out heroin but after weeks of me bordering on withdrawal and our finances stretched thin we've both decided it might be the best option for right now.

I just want to use enough heroin to control my pain, I'm not looking for a high/euphoria though I know the first few times a high is probably inevitable. I'm going to find a reputable dealer and also use fent test strips. I still need advice on types? What's the difference between afghan and china white? I've never snorted anything or smoked anything besides weed. I definitely don't want to do IV. I've read depending on the type its easier to smoke vs snort. Which type and/or method would be best for starting very slow so that I don't get super high/nod out? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Does your name go by the old song from ELO?

Thank you <3

I've wanted so many times to go to a doctor and say those exact words. But you're right, it'll go in my chart as drug seeking and eliminate any possible chance in the future to get consistent pain management if they ever do let up on these strict laws. I've spent more times than I can count crying in a doctor's office because of my pain, it breaks my heart that we have modern medicine that could make my life livable but it doesn't get prescribed because of this bullshit "war on drugs". Even the "lucky" chronic pain patients that get scripts are being prescribed 3 5mg norco a day, it's inhumane. Suicides have gone up since the crackdown, not to mention an increase of ODs because of fent. Cracking down on opiates has done nothing to keep people safer, it's only made safe opiates harder to find. Regardless of why someone uses, none of us deserve to gamble with death just trying to get through the day.
Thanks to our retarded government and dea. They wonder why so many people are dropping like flies from street bought fentanyl (heroin). Real good way to solve the war on drugs eh?some countries legalize heroin and theres no problems.

Thank you for your response, it's very informative. What do you recommend as a starting dose if I take around 10-15mg oxy every 4 hours? I will get a scale like you recommended because I know a little goes a long way when it comes to H. Thank you for explaining white is closest to pharma grade etc, I've known black tar is the least desirable I just didn't know why. I've read white is better for snorting and brown is better for smoking, is that accurate?

I completely understand your advice about watching my thinking patterns, I've done a lot of work to be a self aware person but even then I know I should always watch out for making decisions based on being kind and gentle with myself vs based on enabling unhealthy behavior. So far I believe I've handled the opiate use very well, and even though I have a physical dependence I don't psychologically crave the feeling and haven't used to for emotional coping. But from what I've read on here H can really change that for people so I intend to keep communication with my partner open and honest so that I don't play any tricks on myself if I start straying from responsible use.

Sorry for not replying to this sooner. 10-15mg of oxy isn't an especially large habit. You should probably start in the milligram range with heroin, like maybe 10mg and see how it affects you. I've used oxy but I haven't used it to an especially large degree, and I've used it times when I've had differing tolerances to heroin. I would guess that you could indeed handle more than 10mg assuming there's no fentanyl in it and it were just heroin. But since fentanyl is a risk, and you have no prior heroin experience. I'd start as small as possible. You can always take more if it's not enough.

Generally white is best for IV use, because it is the most readily turned into a solution without heat or messing with the pH using something like citric or ascorbic acid.

Essentially pure heroin can come as either base heroin or heroin hydrochloride. China white (when that term doesn't refer to fentanyl) is hydrochloride. Which means it's water soluble.
When I've seen afghan brown heroin its always been base, meaning it won't readily dissolve in water without an acid. I didn't mention this before because you're not injecting and I suspect just swallowing it might make the most sense for you.

With snorting you want the heroin to dissolve into your blood so yes hydrochloride heroin is probably a lot better for this. I've pretty much always been an IV heroin user so my experience with other routes is just what I've seen as an observer, not first hand experience.
Base heroin is more readily smoked. So yes the white for snorting brown for smoking generalizations are probably correct, but generally I believe all these heroins can be used in ways they're not ideal for, like how base heroin can still be dissolved by adding an acid.

Tar is the worst because it's the most crude, a lot of what's in it isn't even the actual underlying 6,3 diacetylmorphine compound widely known as heroin, But also intermediate compounds from when the cartels synthesize it from raw morphine and codeine. It's also arguably the worst to be injecting. As I said though all 3 can be recreationally good or bad.

Heroin can indeed change people who've otherwise been keeping things very much under control. So it's worth keeping a very close eye on it. Having someone you can be 100% honest to who can warn you if your suddenly doing things you previously committed not to would probably be helpful.

I'm part of some forums with other chronic pain patients and most have said methadone and/or subs were not an effective treatment for their pain. Have you used methadone for that purpose and did it help? I see a lot of online sources that support the idea that it's effective but I've never heard someone with chronic pain actually confirm it. I've done my research on methadone in the past because I was considering it, but with the ambivalence of it's effectiveness and how hard it is to get off of it I decided not to go that route.

The big problem is that taking any opioid long term can become less effective at treating physical pain.
The body adapts, hyperalgesia can develop. Sometimes opioids have to be reduced before they can be reintroduced to ultimately improve pain relief (fair disclaimer, I've never been in chronic pain, this isn't first hand experience, it's my understanding from what I've read).

While methadone is probably safer, the people cautioning you on how difficult it is to get off aren't wrong. Its long half life can make it harder to get off than heroin.

They wonder why professional people go from pain meds get taken off end up homeless and die. I got taken off by my own fuck up. I get them from my wife now she's getting a no contact order plus divorce. Well my plan will take some painless comfort. I'm disabled and unemployed and I get kicked out because I stood up for my mom. Lied to file the petition no police just her word. Still living together and tonight she wants sex. Been rubbing herself on me. Sorry got off topic but I'm messed up trying to get sober and can't deal with stress tried many times and did it once went in coma wish I didn't
Damn bro hang in there and try to do it less smoking some marijuana helps with cutting down on opioids because it makes ypu higher and you’ll see that you don’t need to do as much when you smoke weed with the opioids you’ll get the nod on faster then just doing the opioids and nothing else marijuana helps with boosting the high of the opioids and helps with pain

I'm part of some forums with other chronic pain patients and most have said methadone and/or subs were not an effective treatment for their pain. Have you used methadone for that purpose and did it help? I see a lot of online sources that support the idea that it's effective but I've never heard someone with chronic pain actually confirm it.
I used methadone for chronic pain and it worked quite well for that purpose. But the effects it had on my personality were really bad (loss of motivation, much more emotionally withdrawn than when on morphine/oxycodone...). So I decided that at the moment it is not worth it. But I know I have a backup plan if pain becomes unbearable. Never did heroin and in the beginning after being cut off all pain meds I was going from oxycodone to morphine to methadone, rinse and repeat. I can honestly say that methadone was best of 3 for the pain that is bothering me, but oxycodone was my favourite because of other benefits it gave me. In the end I ended up on maintenence and took methadone for 6 months, split dosing, 3 times daily. As I said it made me more of a zombie than I was ready to be and I went back on buprenorphine. Buprenorphine gave a bit of a pain relief but after the tolerance I acquired it was simply not nearly enough. So I stopped buprenorphine and at the moment I am opioid free and pain full. In last year and a half I only used kratom and rarely tramadol or tapentadol. I am hanging in there. So all in all, pain killing effects of methadone were good enough for me.

Avoid needles under any circumstances in this journey is my piece of advice. Needles will elevate the problems and addictive nature of this drug into the stratosphere.

That being said start SMALL and slowly increase dose. You can always use more....never less. Also I don't know what area you're in but there is quite alot of fentanyl sold as heroin out there so be careful.

Avoid needles under any circumstances in this journey is my piece of advice. Needles will elevate the problems and addictive nature of this drug into the stratosphere.
This! No matter the drug (as long IV is viable) this was always that crucial step which separated my living friends from dead ones. It sounds dramatic but it is the case in my lifetime experience.

This! No matter the drug (as long IV is viable) this was always that crucial step which separated my living friends from dead ones. It sounds dramatic but it is the case in my lifetime experience.
Interesting, I've found them to overdose and die eventually irregardless of ROA.

Interesting, I've found them to overdose and die eventually irregardless of ROA.
Everybody dies eventually. And OD can be fatal or non fatal. But, as I wrote:
It sounds dramatic but it is the case in my lifetime experience.
...it is my experience that people I knew and progressed to IV use (mostly heroin, but cocaine also) died before reaching age of 40. That rush from IV use seems to be so intense and pleasurable that it seems, looking from outside (never used intravenously), the drug that is taken that route almost becomes another, much more addictive drug. It makes sense cause transition from normal to full on high as kite happens in a matter of seconds. Many of my friends when they were on methadone maintenence kept intravenously taking sodium chloride (for infusion) just to satisfy craving for needles. I can understand as I have craving for insufflation of some white powder, but never to an extent that I would actually rail some inert substance. To me IV seems a different ballgame altogether and I never did it because I was sure I would spiral into death pretty soon. Been dependent on opioids for 6 years, 3 on replacement therapy, so I know a bit how morphine/oxycodone/methadone make you feel. Never did heroin though. But comparing my cocaine experience via nasal route to a friend who just took it intravenously I can see a big difference. Maybe I am just very biased and had experiences with people who just couldn't handle IV route. Who knows? I will still give the same advice based on my personal experience and observation of other people. Opioids are most dangerous drugs to OD and die from, no matter the route, but IV takes dangers to another level.

Everybody dies eventually. And OD can be fatal or non fatal. But, as I wrote:

...it is my experience that people I knew and progressed to IV use (mostly heroin, but cocaine also) died before reaching age of 40. That rush from IV use seems to be so intense and pleasurable that it seems, looking from outside (never used intravenously), the drug that is taken that route almost becomes another, much more addictive drug. It makes sense cause transition from normal to full on high as kite happens in a matter of seconds. Many of my friends when they were on methadone maintenence kept intravenously taking sodium chloride (for infusion) just to satisfy craving for needles. I can understand as I have craving for insufflation of some white powder, but never to an extent that I would actually rail some inert substance. To me IV seems a different ballgame altogether and I never did it because I was sure I would spiral into death pretty soon. Been dependent on opioids for 6 years, 3 on replacement therapy, so I know a bit how morphine/oxycodone/methadone make you feel. Never did heroin though. But comparing my cocaine experience via nasal route to a friend who just took it intravenously I can see a big difference. Maybe I am just very biased and had experiences with people who just couldn't handle IV route. Who knows? I will still give the same advice based on my personal experience and observation of other people. Opioids are most dangerous drugs to OD and die from, no matter the route, but IV takes dangers to another level.
I actually prefer opiates through other ROA, it seems a waste and doesn't have the legs of an oral or nasal high, the rush is comparable to a good hit of nitrous I really don't see what all the rage is about