View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time DXM use, seeming Cognitive Impairment

Riffschtick

Greenlighter
Around a week ago, I foolishly consumed a 5 oz bottle of Delsym containing DXM Polistirex equivalent to roughly 870mg of the Hydrobromide form, not to mention it was my first DXM & Dissociative experience! And I'm really worried atm! After going through a trip that lasted roughly 12 hours with residual aftereffects lasting for another day, I started suffering certain cognitive impairments such as short term memory problems, difficulty in thought process and simply finding words when I'm in the middle of a sentence. I worry greatly as I am soon starting college!

Whereas before thinking was a quite natural and lucid process it now seems that I break off in the middle of sentences when I'm trying to reason and then spending the next few seconds trying to recover my train of thought, making it hard for me to be able to reach conclusions or draw a valid "point" from the thought. The lucidity is gone and thinking is "forced", as in my brain feels pressured or forced when I do it. Learning and extrapolating point from texts has become less "natural". This is quite worrying for me as I struggle when trying to follow conversations I'm having on some finer topics such as politics, research or philosophy. Penetrating some "difficult" books as ones by Foucalt, Derrida or Deleuze has become almost impossible or is moving at a snail's pace.

When I converse I have a difficulty finding words for what I want to describe, which is troublesome during both conversations and when I write because good writing or "communication" has for me depended upon picking the right words in the right context.

Lastly, my memory feels a bit hazy and I have a hard time remembering details for events and things I did with people... Memory has (by analogy) become ethereal and ghostish, I remember the event but not what happened and the scene.

*********************The Trip******

I am not sure of its overall relevance, and I confess it to being a mess of events but I put together in case it would be of any use, such as of information pertaining to the intensity and how it may related to the dose/response. In regards to physical info. I weigh 130 pounds and am 19 years of age.

The trip is difficult to characterise, perhaps a 3rd Plateau experience, though brief conversation and walking to the bathroom were possible, albeit with some difficulty.

I listened to music throughout most of the trip, mainly Psytrance and Shpongle, vision was quite "foggy" The room looked normal but everything took on a different and more significant quality as if that instance in time was different from all sober moments that had passed in my life, perhaps "Psychedelic" is the right word. The walls took on different colours everytime I looked at them, as well as occasionally growing some black ink patterns, sorta looking like this: http://rlv.zcache.com/black_tattoo_swirls_mousepad-p144315155157561827trak_400.jpg, which also grew on my friend's face for comic effect-

Most of the time I was tripping, I was either sitting on the computer chair next to my trip sitter or lying down on the bed, and occasionally fall into dream state if closing my eyes long enough, where I'd witness surreal and dreamlike scenes, such as alien landscapes, running through elaborate labyrinths or other strange things such as a regular stadium being transformed into different materials and colors by herds of animals flying in groups throughout it. The race track for instance was transformed by a herd of rabbits from the dirt race track into a red brick road (sorta like how red brick houses look like)... The last vision I remember was being in a space where I could "see" my thoughts or brain in a weird synaesthesia-like way, with a bright background with matrix like symbols and letters flying everywhere and in every direction, some into spirals and others into weird shapes, it wasn't like a fractal hallucination since most symbols were unique and separated.

In regards to any mental effects, I remember very little as I feel asleep instead of being able to reflect what I'd experienced or understood and I can't characterise them as anything beyond mere impressions, with the latter being rather crude, but I remember saying "everything that is spoken is remembered", as if speech crystallises incomplete and airy thoughts which can come and go at will, into something concrete that .

I had seen DXM personified as an anthromorphic alien in a classic worn down diner and I concluded that she's a slut.. That people can get back to her over and over again for a wild and fun alien ride away from the human world but that it'll always be sort of dirty and unlucid (though in all fairness I did use Polistirex), hence why I interpreted seeing DXM-girl as a slut alien in an old worn down diner at another planet. From a first person perspective I saw red cliffs in the distance, a green sky above and a lava-like liquid substance that changed into all manner colour while slowly bubbling up like lava with a diner levitating high in the air...

The effects slowly passed off, although I slept like a log for the next day and here I am a week later worrying my brain posting on a board about Psychedelic Drugs...
So some questions:
Why did it happen?
Under what circumstances can people experience neurotoxicity from DXM?
Can I do anything about it?
--
Are these effects to be expected upon cognitive performance to be expected?
Under which circumstances does DXM consumption result in this?
What can I can do to come back to my previous cognitive performance level?

The dosing was made under the pretense that the quite high amount of food being digested in my gut would require me to dose higher. Not to many I wanted to experience the grandiose dissociative CEV's that so many people describe, which I received but at the now possible cost of soiling my future I'd worked so hard for...

I don't defend what I did, and regret it now, and recommend everyone to approach any substance with caution, research, and to work up from low doses.

Last edited:
DXM is one of the only known psyches to be known to actually cause brain damage.

More than likely in time these side effects you are seeing will dissipate.

Its been years since I have taken DXM at any dose (and back then I dosed up to 1200mg) and I am currently OK. (but to each, his own)

Next time. Consider the possible negative effects before you perform the actions. Then instead of frantically asking for info, you can calmly decide what you want to do.

DXM is one of the only known psyches to be known to actually cause brain damage.

More than likely in time these side effects you are seeing will dissipate.

Its been years since I have taken DXM at any dose (and back then I dosed up to 1200mg) and I am currently OK. (but to each, his own)

Next time. Consider the possible negative effects before you perform the actions. Then instead of frantically asking for info, you can calmly decide what you want to do.

Hopefully they will dissipate.

Indeed, I've understood so far that most DXM users experience few negative symptoms and when they do people it seems to have been from either binges or regular high dose trips over a long time, I am just at a loss at to why I would as a first time user and with just (I say it relatively) 800+ mgs of the stuff.

Ok, will do, I did a bit of research so I guess my judgement was poor, thanks for the advice

This is not correct. The Olney's lesions rumors spreading around are unfounded. A study found that a similar type of drug, injected in large amounts could cause Olney's Lesions.

OP: You used the time release (Polisterex) version of DXM. That is why these effects are lasting so long. If you use regular DXM Hbr, it would likely be gone by now. Don't worry, im sure youll be fine.

look dood, it is quiet possible that i have used DXM more than anyone on this site(not bragging) and i letterally did it every day this year, and i am fine. you have nothing to worry about. what you are expeirencing is an afterglow, they are normally very enjoyable, but since you dont know what it is it isnt enjoyable for you. just calm down man, your gonna be fine.

look dood, it is quiet possible that i have used DXM more than anyone on this site(not bragging) and i letterally did it every day this year, and i am fine. you have nothing to worry about. what you are expeirencing is an afterglow, they are normally very enjoyable, but since you dont know what it is it isnt enjoyable for you. just calm down man, your gonna be fine.

If you've done DXM everyday, and not suffered any cognitive difficulty, then good for you! I must say I slightly envy you as I greatly enjoyed the experience (bar the results) myself! But I honest cannot say that I am digging this DXM "afterglow", I've felt lightheaded sort of like you're high but in sobrietyland, which really sucked... Reading and concentrating is slowly getting better I confess but not near. Perhaps I should explain how the experience progressed until "the afterglow" and why I'm so nervous or negative about my DXM-taking experience.

When I woke up the day after tripping (started 1:30, fell asleep 5:00) I was still hallucinating, having troubles seeing, I was disoriented, slurring, robowalking, seeing things transparently when my eyes were closed, and having violent delusions of what I would do if anyone found out that I had gone insane (I literally thought I had Schizophrenia). I was so overstimulated that I slept again from 12 P.M. - 11 A.M. the next day. I do stress that the intense tripping the night before was very interesting, and quite positive.

Thinking I had Schizophrenia was all silly in retrospect and due to that I was inexperienced and had used Polistirex but I was still worried since I thought I'd wake up peacefully, feeling pleasant and refreshed like after having gone to sleep high (It feels amazing!), instead I woke up as a Robo-bot.

Waking up 2 days after (when I'd slept like a log) was terrible, I felt like a zombie, and every moment conscious was painful, everything was still too loud and overstimulated me as if my perception was still in Dex mode. So I recovered but still felt constantly overstimulated for a few days (altho it was more manageable as the days passed by). I only feel lightheaded, have some concentration issues and memory problems but otherwise I can't spot any other emotional differences, I feel pretty much the same as before I took DXM if only a bit more stable though that's probably because of the fact that I tried to correct any dietary or lifestyle problem that might have exacerbated the problem.

I found one Erowid poster who writes in: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=74597
"Now I am writing this article, it is the 22nd, I took the DXM on the 5th of this month, and I still feel exactly the same. I’m screwing up in school because I cant concentrate or interpret information correctly. I would do anything now just to be sober. If things don’t change soon I’m going to have to go see a doctor, but I am extremely scared."

YMMV really seems like the name of the game, even with afterglows.

Last edited:
I have used DXM a pretty huge amount lol. Using polistrex makes me fucked up for a couple days, that is normal.

Give it at least a week for the afterglow from polistrex to fade, I assure you the tweaky zombiness combined with that weird body high and vision is normal for days after depending on dose.

It might be neurotoxic, but I do not think that it is going to impact you noticeably in the long term from one use.

Congratulations!

You're experiencing an "afterglow". DXM HBr's afterglow lasts for two days after a third-plat trip, so it's not surprising that polistirex lasts significantly longer.

I recommend: not doing that again. DXM is a lame drug. Exercise and get more sleep if you want to feel better.

Congratulations!

You're experiencing an "afterglow". DXM HBr's afterglow lasts for two days after a third-plat trip, so it's not surprising that polistirex lasts significantly longer.

I recommend: not doing that again. DXM is a lame drug. Exercise and get more sleep if you want to feel better.

I can't say the experience itself was lame (everything else sure as hell was though!) the actual tripping is something I'd want to repeat, but besides Ketamine (which seems a tad short and easily addictive), how can one experience the Dissociative space , e.g. alien landscapes, surreal imagery, cartoonish settings? Not to say that PD's have nothing else valuable, but if one specifically wants to experience "other worlds".

In regards to sleep and exercise, I've been doing my best with both deparments since the "aftercrash" ;)

I have used DXM a pretty huge amount lol. Using polistrex makes me fucked up for a couple days, that is normal.

Give it at least a week for the afterglow from polistrex to fade, I assure you the tweaky zombiness combined with that weird body high and vision is normal for days after depending on dose.

It might be neurotoxic, but I do not think that it is going to impact you noticeably in the long term from one use.

Well it's been 8 days so it is improving slightly but I do stress SLIGHTLY. If my symptoms dissipate, I'll probably repeat the experience, BUT in a much lower dose and with powder DXM hydrobromide in a capsule (starting at 100mg), would that be fine?

I'm going to have a Brain scan and meet a Neurologist soon, so I'll know if anything's wrong with the nervous system, if it's neurotoxic, I'll definitely post the results. I'm not badmouthing DXM as a drug since the significant majority seems to be able to use it well without any long-term negative results but if it's long term in my case it'll be useful to know what caused it or potential risks. And I do hope you're right indeed!

I did DXM once and hated it. Felt like I was poisoned :|

There are just so many better drugs out there IMHO

LOL I did the exact same thing you did (it was my first time too) and I just happened to have to talk to ALL of my principals and teachers to get some shit signed to transfer one of the days. I was fucked up for a good 2-3 days and slept on it twice and was finally sober when I woke up the second time. I never realized this was a high dose, are you sure that is right? Isn't the dose spread out?

Well it's been 8 days so it is improving slightly but I do stress SLIGHTLY. If my symptoms dissipate, I'll probably repeat the experience, BUT in a much lower dose and with powder DXM hydrobromide in a capsule (starting at 100mg), would that be fine?

I'm going to have a Brain scan and meet a Neurologist soon, so I'll know if anything's wrong with the nervous system, if it's neurotoxic, I'll definitely post the results. I'm not badmouthing DXM as a drug since the significant majority seems to be able to use it well without any long-term negative results but if it's long term in my case it'll be useful to know what caused it or potential risks. And I do hope you're right indeed!

Let me know, I would be shocked if a neurologist could map the differences in your brain before and after you took DXM once. (The realistic problem is actually isolating this; one burst of NMDA activity is going to be hard to discern from your entire life of nature and nuture changing your brain constantly!) But really, if you go, I wanna see a post, it would be interesting to hear.

If this is really affecting you this badly and it's not the power of your mind, I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't delve in again. DXM is interesting in a way sort of like alcohol at really low doses, but the 3rd plateau's long and bizzare dissipation is one of my favorite experiences in life, and I love my life.

Last edited:

Not saying DXM is horrible ( as long as you know you are taking it safely ) but prolonged use as such this dude is describinb ( everyday this year ) is not good for the fact that DXM can create crystalized junk in your liver and damage your nasal senses/passages ? I can't remember the full details but I shall get back up on you, as a self-proclaimed expert on dxm I'd say you're charactization of "3rd level plateau" would be inaccurate regardless of the fact of how you see it due to the fact its your first trip - it will never count until you learn more about what you're messing with and mingle with it some more. Than you can classify your trips more accurately. :)

And yes, I noticed in heavy doses (anything for me around the 900mg benchmark although I like to hit 1200mg often) causes a weird ass feeling in my head, if its neurotoxicity I wouldn't know I should look into it but I do know it makes it feel like a shit ton of bubbles scrambling around your forehead.

Might last a day or two. Be easy about it though. :3

Extended daily use is definitely excessive and unsafe. Long-term buildup of DXM in the body is not a good thing.

OP: that Erowid report you linked to mentioned taking much of the dose in the forms of Nyquil and Dayquil, which are loaded with other active ingredients - that may have been a major contributing factor there. I suspect your problems are mostly due to using the polistirex form; it's time released, and most users find the negative symptoms are much worse with time release or frequent redosing (read up on "plateau sigma" - http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_experience.shtml#toc.5.9 - seems like using high doses of the polistirex could result in this).

There seems to be a lot of variance in how rapidly different people metabolize DXM. If you decide to experiment further with the HBr, I like your idea of starting with a 100mg dose. Some people lack a key enzyme that helps metabolize DXM, which makes it take several days to clear out of your system and wear off rather than a few hours. If even a low dose of the HBr gives you a significant hangover effect, then unfortunately your body chemistry probably just doesn't get along with DXM. If you feel fine the day after that 100mg test dose, you can start pushing into first/second plateau territory, and if all goes well with that you can think about shooting for third plateau again if you want. Don't rush back up to higher doses, better safe than sorry :)

? I can't remember the full details but I shall get back up on you, as a self-proclaimed expert on dxm I'd say you're charactization of "3rd level plateau" would be inaccurate regardless of the fact of how you see it due to the fact its your first trip - it will never count until you learn more about what you're messing with and mingle with it some more. Than you can classify your trips more accurately. :)

And yes, I noticed in heavy doses (anything for me around the 900mg benchmark although I like to hit 1200mg often) causes a weird ass feeling in my head, if its neurotoxicity I wouldn't know I should look into it but I do know it makes it feel like a shit ton of bubbles scrambling around your forehead.

Might last a day or two. Be easy about it though. :3

I can understand where you're going, since there is no "same" or quintissential DXM experiences at any plateaus, so I'd have to test more to learn my experiences of the plateaus, I just said or "guessed" that it was a 3rd plat trip since it seemed to closest match common descriptions of the different plats. My memory is sorta hazy but I recall that I was hit quite suddenly by the DXM, only minor symptoms seemed to predict the development of such a powerful experience! I recall minor bouts of Euphoria, a bit of body load (weight in this case) and minor hallucinations.

Never felt bubbles in my forehead (roughly at the prefrontal cortex, which processes complex tasks), just an increased bloodflow during the experience with a feeling was much more active than usual. Since you seem to be experiencing certain symptoms, has it effected your long term performance or do the impairments slowly subside for you?

I def. also agree with taking it easy in regards to even dosing DXM! especially after my experience

@nopipes
"but the 3rd plateau's long and bizzare dissipation is one of my favorite experiences in life"

Indeed! Had I better encounters I might've agreed, visiting bizarro land and getting "fucked up" the DXM is an interesting experience, perhaps as one of HIGH absurdity.

"Let me know, I would be shocked if a neurologist could map the differences in your brain before and after you took DXM once. (The realistic problem is actually isolating this; one burst of NMDA activity is going to be hard to discern from your entire life of nature and nuture changing your brain constantly!) But really, if you go, I wanna see a post, it would be interesting to hear."

My knowledge of Neurology is limited, what I believe meant was if any brain damage or lesions appear that may be linked to DXM appears. Then again, you could conjecture that it could've been due to any number of factors if it wasn't experimentally produced or observed under an MRI, so perhaps it's more speculative. I just believe that significant brain alterations observed in administration of drugs that target the DXM receptors or effects upon dosing highly may "indicate" something, as before my DXM experience I hadn't significantly used Psychedelics besides occasional Serotogenics, as well as the fact that I had a brain scan earlier this year and that virtually no alterations were observed during the period. So yes, it'd be difficult to observe in isolated settings, the problem is the complexity of the human body and pinning of the malign cause!

With that fact I must say I feel better, the light haze seems gone, so operational thinking is back, only handicapped by memory and word retention, which I'll still want to look into if it dosen't change soon.

Extended daily use is definitely excessive and unsafe. Long-term buildup of DXM in the body is not a good thing.

OP: that Erowid report you linked to mentioned taking much of the dose in the forms of Nyquil and Dayquil, which are loaded with other active ingredients - that may have been a major contributing factor there. I suspect your problems are mostly due to using the polistirex form; it's time released, and most users find the negative symptoms are much worse with time release or frequent redosing (read up on "plateau sigma" - http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_experience.shtml#toc.5.9 - seems like using high doses of the polistirex could result in this).

There seems to be a lot of variance in how rapidly different people metabolize DXM. If you decide to experiment further with the HBr, I like your idea of starting with a 100mg dose. Some people lack a key enzyme that helps metabolize DXM, which makes it take several days to clear out of your system and wear off rather than a few hours. If even a low dose of the HBr gives you a significant hangover effect, then unfortunately your body chemistry probably just doesn't get along with DXM. If you feel fine the day after that 100mg test dose, you can start pushing into first/second plateau territory, and if all goes well with that you can think about shooting for third plateau again if you want. Don't rush back up to higher doses, better safe than sorry :)

Thanks for the response, t'was informative. I surely wouldn't want to cosume sedatives and antihistimines at such levels myself o_O Can you point out if any of the ingredients in http://www.delsym.com/cough-medicine/ might lead to complications (besides the DXM Polistirex)

Thanks for the response, t'was informative. I surely wouldn't want to cosume sedatives and antihistimines at such levels myself o_O Can you point out if any of the ingredients in http://www.delsym.com/cough-medicine/ might lead to complications (besides the DXM Polistirex)

As long as you're active ingredients only contain DXM you should be pretty much in the clear boat, but you should check inactive for anything you don't want.

Worse thing I had experienced with was Chlorpheniramine Maleate (antihistamine) it caused some shi't to go down in my stomach that anything containing it I will puke blood :( Guaifenesin is very common as well, its an expectorant so obviously too much will make you vomit x3