• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! First really scary trip landed me in the hospital - what could I have done differently?

im totally convinced these days that mushrooms healing effects are 100% overstated i felt like i was cured for literally one day only while if i take large amounts of LSD i am refreshed and good to go for 3 weeks. I rate psilocybin really low as a psychedelic and i always laugh my ass off at people saying they want to take a natural psychedelic. newsflash all man made chemistry is natural we are part of nature what ever input and output we do is 100% natural we are the instrument of the will of the universe as a chemist we are using natural laws as part of nature ourselves to use our hands to put these natural chemicals together to create a new natural chemical that exists in the universe and is possible only due to the laws of nature.

By drawing a line between nature and man made chemicals we have disconnected ourselves from the universal spirit and our roots to the earth.

LSD is superior to mushrooms in every way be that in healing the trip itself the profoundness the reality bending. I never find it fun to ingest mushrooms be puking most trips then having the mad shits and the worst headaches of my life for a week long after a mushroom trip. after my last trip on shrooms ill prob not take mushrooms to much more feeling sick while tripping balls is not fun.

I have had a similar experience on a few occasions where I would see weird body parts / rape / medieval faces when I closed my eyes whilst tripping. This seemed to stop when I stopped taking 5htp daily and gave myself a year off it. Do you have any issues with serotonin? Bad trips happen, take less next time & get back in the saddle.

5.5 grams grams is too much. I take an average dose of 2.5-3 grams. And I have been doing them like 30 years. I think the term "heroic dose" should be changed to "foolish dose". Every time I had a bad experience is when took too much of something. I would rather be underwhelmed then end up in a hospital

For me, LSD is more recreational, and easier to handle (except at really high doses). On a equivalent strength of trip, I find LSD easier and calmer and less confronting every time, than mushrooms. Mushrooms are really intense, they grab you by the balls, and confront things, and make you feel very weird, and question everything. I have had far more difficult experiences on mushrooms than on LSD. That said, mushrooms, when the trip is right, and time is right, and everything aligns, have given me some of my very most profound, spiritual, and beautiful ego dissolution trips of my life. I've never had an LSD trip change my life, but my first mushroom trip literally changed my life from then on. It was a spiritual awakening. But, those experiences are rare and taking a huge dose does not guarantee you'll have such an experience, by any means. My first mushroom trip, I was scared, so I took only 1.75 grams. Had the most classic, amazing, life-changing +4 spiritual awakening that is the root of how I have come to view what reality is, and what we are, and what life is. To this day even, just about 20 years later.

So my point is, mushrooms are ay less user friendly. For me and many others (but seemingly not everyone), they're among the very most powerful and potentially difficult psychedelics, especially when you start going with higher and higher dosages. Big potential rewards, but be prepared for difficulty. Almost every mushroom trip I have some period of time at least where I get a bit of the fear. Whereas with LSD, I can take it, and know about how it'll go if I keep the dose reasonable. I can socialize, feel pretty good, euphoric, can talk fairly well, feel comfortable in my own body, in fact the body high can be very pleasurable. So can the mushroom body high, but it can just as easily be very threatening feeling.

So... all that said, I think what you did wrong was that you assumed the body load was actually you being poisoned. It's common on psychs, especially ones like mushrooms, to feel threatened and believe you're dying, or poisoned, or that you have broken your brain and will never be able to get back. When these feelings happen, you have to remind yourself that you took mushrooms, it will end, you'll be fine. This is why having a sitting is very important, especially when you don't have as much experience yet. Someone to be able to prevent you from actually calling an ambulance/going to the hospital/anything else you shouldn't be doing (likewise if for some reason something happened where you actually DID need this stuff, they'd be able to tell and help you out with that). The whole hospital thing could have been avoided with a sitter who could calm you down, explain that you're just tripping, it's bodyload, you're not dying, it will end, etc.

Also, for me, being outside on mushrooms is a must, it changes the nature of the trip SO MUCH. Also having some good music can really help a lot, especially if you're starting to get into a less than positive frame of mind, good emotional music that inspires awe or happiness or peace or what have you can really save the day.

Yes, I'll weigh in to affirm along with everyone else here that 5.5g is way too much mushrooms. Personally, I tap out somewhere around 4g and I consider myself pretty experienced. Mushrooms get hardcore pretty quickly beyond 3-4g and there's nothing heroic about massive doses of psychedelics. Hard lesson learned, glad you're ok now.

I also agree that LSD is much easier to navigate than mushrooms.

agree on the outside part, but even then choose your area carefully.

You don't it want to be loaded with the upper section of tourist's. Those who bulk in money and lack social skill's, and look away when you make eye contact.

If they do make a connection with you, you get that look from them: 'what is that piece of garbage doing in our nice nature resort.

Which is funny and learning but not a prospect for a good trip. If you can handle it no problem though!

This remembered me of the documentary with Lemmy who took Acid with Jimi and quickly they discovered it didn't stop working. You just had to double the dose. (Motorhead and Hendrix) They went through sheet's.

So these guy's took it day's maybe week's or month's,
and enjoyed it.
Not the best advise, certainly not anything I would or could do. But it does proof the recreational potential of LSD vs Psilocybine.

Psilocybine is just a disastrous molecule, for some. Other Tryptamines vary very much in effect's like 2c analogue's. They are all unique.

But for me one reasonable dose of any Lysergic.
Once in a while is pure heaven.

Mescaline oh Mescaline.

Peace

Last edited:
Just to add a little follow-up to this: Despite the experience sucking as bad as it did, it seems not to have left me with any kind of trauma or even lingering anxiety. I don't feel like I got any of the mood-improving effects that motivated me to take the shrooms in the first place, but that was hardly to be expected after such an awful trip. On the contrary, I would have assumed that a really horrible trip can weigh heavily on your mood for weeks or months, the same way that a good trip can uplift your mood for long periods of time. Fortunately (and somewhat surprisingly) though, in my case, that seems not to be the case. Only 3 days ago did I feel the worst fear I ever felt, literal fear of death and utter terror, and yet, I was only mildly shaken the next day, and completely back to normal the day after that, and now I can't even recall what the feeling was like anymore. I can, of course, recall what happened on an intellectual level - I don't have memory loss or anything like that - but I can't even conjure the actual feeling of terror if I intentionally try to, which strikes me as odd given how extremely frightening experience can and do leave people with PTSD-like symptoms where the negative memory is not only ready for recall, but constantly intrudes on their minds even as they try to push it away. I am really happy (and, I suppose, quite fortunate) it worked out the way it did for me - the human mind is just such a strange and mysterious thing.

Also, to add a short question: I found it quite interesting that so many of you seem to agree that LSD tends to be a gentler and more positively energetic experience. The description that I had memorized until now was that people tend to refer to LSD-trips as having a more "metallic" quality to them, and mushrooms feeling more "warm" and "mystical". Obviously, those are just words that come from a language which was not designed to capture the psychedelic experience, and effects may vary greatly from person to person and trip to trip, but even so, the general impression that I got until now was that there was something more cold, abstract, or technical to LSD as compared to mushrooms. Is that just nonsense, or do those adjectives simply adress a different aspect of the two substances than the one you guys are referring to when recommending LSD over mushrooms?

Last edited:
Also, to add a short question: I found it quite interesting that so many of you seem to agree that LSD tends to be a gentler and more positively energetic experience. The description that I had memorized until now was that people tend to refer to LSD-trips as having a more "metallic" "warm" and "mystical".
LSD is very metallic. Listen to MotorHead, I never listened to any of his music. Not so much into that 'metal' genre atm.

But he was roady for Jimi and got kicked out of Hawkwind for taking to much drugs. Saw them perform live once under the influence of Psilocybe-Semilanceata that grow natively here. The only shroom i do tolerateBut in general you ain't doing that shit on Mushroom's. LSD is different.

Typtamine's in general have some resemblance's an Psylocybine certainly is not the best of the family. They are hard core!

Although for an easy trip nothing beats a Lysergic, I have never taken Mescaline. I wonder if that is the holy grail of psychedelic's.

With my lucid dreaming ability's that came along with the Epilepsy, that certainly is a option.

What am I supposed to feel might i dream i am on Mescaline? I am going for a full 400 mg dosage in that dream. is it anything like
2-CT-2 as my experiment with MethylAllylEscaline/ MAL was a dud. Total disappointment :(

Should have taken it all instead of titrating like someone mentioned. So a 15 mg and a separate 35 mg dose experience. Which were mere wasted supposedly good drug's.

It was a mistake to take the higher than usual amount, and to expect greater than usual relief.

It is not an mistake to experiment, so do not berate yourself.

use what you know to heal,
you know you can cope with lower amounts and turn them to benefit.
you do not get more benefit by adding more drug, just more intense susceptibility to the universe and more residual resonance - all of which becomes NOISE.

What type of mushroom did you take specifically? I dont know enough about them to help with the differences between them , have joined a great fb group that explains them with pictures etc, ppl here know stuff to help you there.

Any chance they were rancid or contaminated?

The only bad experience I've had with psychedelics was from swallowing an eyedropper full of diluted, probably way too old liquid acid in a bizarre situation with a prostitute house mate and some random bloke she dragged into a hotel as a 3way surprise. Just had this acid and didn't really want an impromptu 3way with some douchebag and a nymphomaniac, left the room and promptly got totally lost and panicked, started banging on all the hotel doors screaming I couldn't find my way out, got kicked out of the hotel and spent the night hiding in a ditch.

Sounds like you ate some shit mushrooms and it magnified your mood, made you sick and probably a one off.

Also, to add a short question: I found it quite interesting that so many of you seem to agree that LSD tends to be a gentler and more positively energetic experience. The description that I had memorized until now was that people tend to refer to LSD-trips as having a more "metallic" quality to them, and mushrooms feeling more "warm" and "mystical". Obviously, those are just words that come from a language which was not designed to capture the psychedelic experience, and effects may vary greatly from person to person and trip to trip, but even so, the general impression that I got until now was that there was something more cold, abstract, or technical to LSD as compared to mushrooms. Is that just nonsense, or do those adjectives simply adress a different aspect of the two substances than the one you guys are referring to when recommending LSD over mushrooms?

Metallic.... :unsure:

im not too sure what that's supposed to mean...like un-natural as opposed to "warm and mystical"?

i know a couple times on shrooms, i felt like my brain was split open and my thoughts were all over the place, and i was trying to stuff them back into my brain, and im trying to close the lid at the same time.....i never got that on acid

ive gotten spooked on acid a couple times, but ive always been able to talk myself out of it and then laugh....just gotta remind yourself that you're tripping

ya know but then im not really into heavy doses of anything to be honest because everything is poison depending on the dosage....less is almost always more in most cases

like i take a couple bong hits....or i have a couple beers....or a half hit of acid is good...sometimes a whole....don't eat the whole 1/8th of mushrooms unless you wanna deal with chaos on your mind for a few hours...dont drink 2 six-packs and have 5 shots unless you're ok with the spins and puking....don't smoke all that weed unless you're ok with laying around all day and getting nothing done....don't eat 2 bars of xanax unless you just wanna go to sleep.....i can go on and on

you ate 5 grams of mushrooms....you clearly over-did-it ....so yea you ended up at the ER because you thought you ate the wrong mushrooms lol which is pretty fuckin funny i would've loved to have seen that whole thing lol

thats the kinda shit that happens when you over-do-it....right?

The way Psilocybine act's on your neurotransmitter's is different from Lysergic's.

4-Ho-MIPT is great but in general Lysergic's rule.

Our native Shroom seems to fit me best what is kinda weird. Psilocybe semilanceata. or Liberty cap.

Work's best for me, natively grown and dried.

Last edited:
It´s not that psilocibin is inferior, it´s just that along with the psilo you are eating a semipoisonous funghi that colors and downgrades the trip.

Pure cristaline psilo would probably be a top tier substance