Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

First death by dope (Marijuana)

there has been discussion and critique of this coroner's decision here:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117769&r=24

it's media scaremongering in anticipation of thursday's declassification. it's not decriminalisation at all - possession remains an offence - the drug is being bumped down a category in terms of its harm to society. the police are being issued with new guidelines relating to power of arrest; they will now as a matter of general practice not arrest people for possession unless they are causing mischief or smoking near a school or children.

Thanks dr seuss. The coroners report and inquest would have been good to view, but the links are down.

Originally posted on the above thread by BL'er deko
1) Cannabis Toxicity. What was the inquest about?
An inquest was held on 18th December 2003 into the death of Lee John Maisey who had died on 24th August 2003. A full auopsy had been carried out which had failed to reveal a cause of death. A histological examination also failed to establish a cause of death and, in consequence, a toxicological examination on blood samples obtained was carried out by Forensic Alliance. The samples showed a high concentration of Carboxy-THC, consistent with heavy cannabis usage. There were also traces of cannabidiol, indicating that cannabis and/or cannabis resin was used within a few hours of death. In the view of the pathologist, and in the absence of any other significant abnormality in spite of exhaustive investigation,it was likely that death occurred as a manifestation of cannabis toxicity. The coroner recorded a verdict of death by misadventure and that the cause of death was probable cannabis toxicity.

Presumed this came from here

LOL I love the fact no one (and not just on this forum) would ever admit that it may have been the pot that killed him.

Remember kiddies, you can only put a foreign substance into your body for so long before somthing gives.

/me stands back to await the flames LOL

dude.. air is a foreign substance, chicken is a foreign substance.. are you saying we shouldnt put anything foregin in our bodies? c'mon mate, use your head..

I'm sure you are intelligent enough to know what I mean, I won't enter into a debate over wording. And if you are'nt I suggest you stop smoking pot and perhaps take up reading....dude

after doing some research on the net i have discovered that the man in question died from Cannabis Indica poisoning supposedly.. cannabis indica is the main ingredient in hash.. not the pot we are using to smoking here..cannabis indica is a totally different plant to cannabis sativa..

but its something that can mean the different between a good and a bad reactions.. mushrooms are all mushrooms but there are some that can fuck you up, others that can kill you...

yeh i no, i see ur point but i was just trying to rip off that saying "its all greek to me"

endlesseulogy said:
after doing some research on the net i have discovered that the man in question died from Cannabis Indica poisoning supposedly.. cannabis indica is the main ingredient in hash.. not the pot we are using to smoking here..cannabis indica is a totally different plant to cannabis sativa..

How do you know people don't smoke both? If you are a marijuana smoker you will have smoked both in your career....

because cannabis indica is only used for the production of hashish, its more expenisive to grow

Pretty bold statement.... I've bought and smoked both and I could tell from the different highs I experienced. I have also smoked strains that have been a mixture of both as I'm sure 100% of pot smokers out there have...

Please make sure that if you assert something as fact, that you can back it up with references.

BigTrancer :)

If you check out this post, it offers an alternate explanation...

Summed up, the guy was a self-confessed alcoholic (according to a newspaper report), and hadn't been drinking for two days. Around 6 to 48 hrs after an alcholic has stopped drinking, they can suffer withdrawal symptoms including hallucinations and seizures...

Funny coincidence?

Wrong.
You'll find most weed you buy in Australia is actually a mixture of both Sativa and Indica. No strain is 'worse' (health wise - although some strains can trigger more anxiety than others) than the other and you'll find most people who smoke marijuana will have smoked many different strains and mixtures of both. Also, Indica isn't grown solely for the production of hash.

endlesseulogy said:
because cannabis indica is only used for the production of hashish, its more expenisive to grow

LOL!

what the hell makes you say indica is more expensive to grow?

For indoor growing running costs wise is cheaper to grow indicas than sativas, due the indica's shorter flowering times.

Like Big Trancer said before:

Please make sure that if you assert something as fact, that you can back it up with references.

Anyway I am off topic, this isnt related to the cannabis death case.

Back to the topic.... =D

Sativa only strains tend to grow bigger, but the actual yield of smokable material can be pretty much the same if you know what you're doing. I know a self described cannabinologist. He's certainly a master of the art, having grown for personal only for ~50 years. He can grow a 2-3 pound plant in a 10cm deep pot outside, from either a cutting or a old root stock providing it's still alive.

Being a bonsai expert, his mull is superb in taste, aroma and kick. I won't mention it's nickname, as it's the name of the mountain he lives on, but I will say that the nick was picked from the most common reaction seen from people who have smoked it.

I will tell you this story though. Around 20 years ago after having lived at the end of a dirt road for 5 years & seeing virtually no-one, a police car rolls up, followed by another police, and then....another police car. Detectives pulled everything out and started loading it all up. My ol' mate said the old copper was rather interested in his work, and after looking at it closely said "What have you been to here" pointing with interest to a bunch of cuttings and a single small (re-growth) plant.

My ol' mate said in his best Canadian Accent. "Well, you know I don't grow the shit for money just for the interest in the plant. Those cuttings are from a mother plant next to them, now nearly 15 years old" After thinking for a bit, the old copper stepped him aside and said "Well I've been to a few busts in my time, but I've never seen anything like this setup. Seeing as how we didn't find much dried material, and because of the time you've put into it, We'll leave a couple of seedlings and the mother plant.

And that strain, kept free from cross pollination and meticulously cared for, is still going strong today.

One thing that is worth mentioning, is that indica is much more susceptable to molds and pest attacks. Sativa is a hardy plant, so endlesseulogy may be refering to the fact that many inexperienced growers may find sucess easier with sativa.