• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Finding different veins/ Increasing venous access/ Vascularity

u29em13

Greenlighter
Hi, I have has been on and off using IV heroin for about 2 years now and also occasionally use iv cocaine.

After a while, I have noticed my usual veins in the crook of the elbow are leaking and getting increasing harder to inject into, particularly after a recent iv cocaine binge (approx 4.5g over two days).

So, I'd like to give them a rest if possible but I am having trouble finding any other veins to access. Part of the problem is I am quite overweight (BMI is 33.1), but am trying to lose weight.

Other than losing weight, is there any other way I can get my veins to become easier to access?

I sometimes uses other routes of administration, like snorting and plugging, but as I try to only use heroin and cocaine occasionally, I miss the rush I get with injecting, and also enjoy the shooting up process (cooking up, using a tourniquet etc). I am wondering if I may have a needle fixation starting, does anyone know how to identify one?

I can sometime see the veins on my hands, but have never managed to get the needle in the vein and draw blood into the syringe. I have also heard that the femoral vein is a good one but I have struggled too find it, I expect this is probably due to the fact I am overweight.

I have only used the 1ml 0.33mm/ 29G x12.7mm insulin syringes, and what wondering if I should to change needle/ syringe type. If so, what sort should I use?

Thanks
smiley1.gif

Last edited:
just use the pronoun "I" please, as we dont post on behalf of pets, or SWIM here :)

if you're not sure then please dont even think about the femoral vein as it is extremely close to the femoral artery.

you should ideally give your veins a good rest and, if you're not physically addicted, abstain for a while. or plug/snort if this isn;t an option.

if you absolutelt must shoot up, try finding other sites in your arms (the forearms are usually good) by doing cardio or lifting weights, having a long hot bath or using a tourniquet (or all in conjunction).

maybe use a smaller needle if available for the veins in your hands if you must try these but please take care in identifying veins as it is much more risky. there are guides in other threads on BL.

Sorry about the pronouns, I'm new on here.

Is there any signs that I can look for to tell if the vein has collapsed or if it is healing?

Thanks!

as far as i know, the only way is to leave the vein alone for a while and see if it heals. just try elsewhere or even better, plug ya gear or abstain for a while.

dont worry about the SWIMing, im not bothered, just admin might tell you off.

just seen youre in the UK too :)

Sorry about the pronouns, I'm new on here.

Is there any signs that I can look for to tell if the vein has collapsed or if it is healing?

Thanks!

Please edit your post and use "I" so I don't have to close this.

Edited it to the correct form. Out of curiosity why is SWIM etc not used? I thought it was done to prevent self incrimination...

Does anyone know about needle fixations? Signs that you have one, how to deal with them etc?

Because everyone knows who your talking about.

Anyway, my friend, who was homeless, found a really great way of finding veins, and that was putting a flashlight up to his flesh, which would make it look transparent. However, I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone who wasn't an end stage junky. Like, if your crooks work at all your in good shape bud, and you have tons of other large veins probably. The trick is not in seeing the veins but in feeling them, you gotta learn to palpate them.

Push ups against a railing or kitchen bench. Stretch your arms a bit first if you aren't used to this type of exercise. One of the best ways to heal, strengthen, and with time even vein enlargement will happen but in the short term it will bring those veins to the surface and you may find some other options in your arms. So 'close grip' push-ups hands shoulder width apart, tuck your elbows into your sides and start a controlled push up focusing the strain to your arms and less away from shoulders and chest which is much easier against a bench. You can get 1ml syringes with an inch (from memory) should be the next size up from the standard 12.7 you're using so same gauge just longer fo those deeper veins considering your size of course. You fix veins largely through using them - pumping blood through them, best way to make 'em heal.

The old saying - use it or lose it applies here. Good luck and take care.

wow, S-S is a fucking menace to society.

Cardio excersise will definitely help heal veins that haven't completely collapsed already, but really, once you blow a vein, I've found, it's gone for ever. What's weird/gross is that your body starts to create new networks to aid in circulation, though these veins are even weaker usually then there predecessor. I haven't shot anything into the crooks of my arms in at least 5 years and I hadn't touched my arms for 2 years (save for the deep brachial, but I rarely used that, I hit my femoral most of the time). I've now in addition been off IV drugs for 3 months, and still, there isn't shit on my arms/hands.

Some warning signs that a vein is about to collapse:

-blood is usually brighter, almost like an artery.
-blood trickles into the plunger, no longer creating that lovely crimson ribbon.
-vein feels hard/rock-like under your skin

If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, please do yourself the favor I deprived of myself, and for gods sake, rotate! If your crooks still work, you MUST have other good veins, there are tons of easy, big ones to access on your arm asides from your basilic. You might not see them without tying off, but believe me, they are there.

5b77c79c1e70d7fdec50140af7ac5709.jpg