• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Films that you really relate to or identify with

Factualist

Bluelighter
I know it's a bit cliche but for me it has to be A Scanner Darkly, based on one of my favorite books. A lot people completely forget this movie ever existed despite the surprising number of A-List actors in it. I think it's one of the most accurate depictions of the darker side of drug culture and descent into addiction and mental illness. I think it has one of the most powerful endings of any movie I've ever seen, but if you have any interest in watching the whole thing I wouldn't watch it, it would kind of spoil everything and wouldn't really make sense. It's a very convincing cautionary tale by a person who by the end grew to hate the choices he had made in life and saw countless friends die or do permanent damage to their bodies and ended up dying a premature death himself.

This has been a story about people who were punished entirely too much for what they did. These were comrades whom I had; there are no better. They remain in my mind, and the enemy will never be forgiven.

Here are some of my favorite scenes, not sure how much sense they make out of context but oh well.

Pretty funny scene. It took me a few times of watching the movie to even realize the point of it was to show how far gone everyone was. It just struck me as a normal conversation.

Really speaks to why and how people go down the paths they do.

Finally, I think this really captures what it's like to be very far into mental illness and addiction, where you have no idea what's real and what isn't, and you don't even know yourself, let alone anything else about the world around you. Everything is confusing and you're wracked with doubt about reality itself.

Damn!! I really want to watch this and read the book. I just picked up Phillip K. Dick for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and "Electric Dreams"(short stories). I also picked up "The Man in the Hightower" but never started reading it. I really wanted this book but the library didn't even have it on order.

Damn!! I really want to watch this and read the book. I just picked up Phillip K. Dick for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and "Electric Dreams"(short stories). I also picked up "The Man in the Hightower" but never started reading it. I really wanted this book but the library didn't even have it on order.

Yeah, PKD is easily my favorite science fiction writer with William Gibson a close second. A Scanner Darkly is my favorite but those are all great. Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep is quite a bit different than Blade Runner and imo a bit better, although I love the movie too. Second favorite book by him would probably be Ubik. It's a lot more abstract and I think really captures the experience of never quite knowing what's real and the existential doubt of mental illness/psychosis. It's a lot more out there than his usual stuff, which is already pretty out there. It barely involves drugs at all, and there's less of a direct message or meaning.

Flow My Tears the Policeman Said is supposedly another very good, but I haven't got to it yet. There are a lot of parallels between the story and the Book of Acts, which he claims he never read. The story goes that most of it came to him in a dream and then years later he experienced a lot of real life events that were very similar to what he wrote about in the book.

The movie Waking Life by the same director is also an incredibly good film. They're pretty different so you can't really compare the two but if I had to choose I'd probably say I like Waking Life a bit more.

16911004260_2c795b7e73_b.jpg

More of a biography / Documentary based on my life to be fair. Thinking about combining The Highlander and Stargate franchises.... "IN SPACE THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" Scattered over the Milky way Immortals for millennia have been battling each other to move closer and closer to the Prize. Stargate's seeded on multiple worlds by the Ancients hundreds of thousands of years ago in the greatest game of them all! Hundreds of different races sword fighting until only two remain at the final battle for All knowledge and accession! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Stargate-Coverstone-Blueprint-2.jpg

There can be only one!

I'd have to say that film for me would be Adventureland.

Misery with James Caan and Kathy Bates.
I was trapped in a relationship with a psycho bitch from hell and this film literally sent shivers up my spine, it's so close to the mark.

Last edited:
Sara Goldbarb in Requiem for a Dream:

I’m somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they’ll all like me. I’ll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It’s a reason to get up in the morning. It’s a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It’s a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hmm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I’m alone. Your father’s gone, you’re gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I’m lonely. I’m old. Ah, it’s not the same. They don’t need me. I like the way I feel. I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile

"Did you take anything, miss?
"I-I took my dress-
-a-and my golden shoesss
and you should see my harry and my grandson on television
we're giving away the prizes
*breaks down in tears*
I just wanted to be on the show!

I know it's a bit cliche but for me it has to be A Scanner Darkly, based on one of my favorite books. A lot people completely forget this movie ever existed despite the surprising number of A-List actors in it. I think it's one of the most accurate depictions of the darker side of drug culture and descent into addiction and mental illness.
I saw the title of the thread, immediately thought "A Scanner Darkly" before clicking.
A Scanner Darkly said:
Now in the dark world where I dwell, ugly things, and surprising things, and sometimes little wondrous things, spill out in me constantly, and I can count on nothing.
Unlike Bob Arctor I have chosen the "light world" but I have lived in the depths of the "dark world" and I miss it dearly, every day.

I haven't read the novel (or anything else by Dick) but I plan to.

I saw the title of the thread, immediately thought "A Scanner Darkly" before clicking.

Unlike Bob Arctor I have chosen the "light world" but I have lived in the depths of the "dark world" and I miss it dearly, every day.

I haven't read the novel (or anything else by Dick) but I plan to.

It really is an incredibly powerful film. If they want to teach teenagers about the dangers of drugs, maybe they aught to show the movie in health classes. Maybe cut out the nudity though lol.

I've seen the movie upwards of 20 times, and the ending makes me tear up every single time. To think of the friends I've lost and how close I came to losing it all myself.

Let them all play again, in some other way, and let them be happy.

@ChemicallyEnhanced

Requiem for a Dream is very good too. The soundtrack alone is incredible. I remember listening to the theme long before I saw the movie or touched any drugs, to listen to it now haunts me, in a million years I could never have anticipated the direction my life went.

Last edited:
It really is an incredibly powerful film. If they want to teach teenagers about the dangers of drugs, maybe they aught to show the movie in health classes. Maybe cut out the nudity though lol.

I've seen the movie upwards of 20 times, and the ending makes me tear up every single time. To think of the friends I've lost and how close I came to losing it all myself.

@ChemicallyEnhanced

Requiem for a Dream is very good too. The soundtrack alone is incredible. I remember listening to the theme long before I saw the movie or touched any drugs, to listen to it now haunts me, in a million years I could never have anticipated the direction my life went.

Me too. I hated drugs. I was the last person you'd ever think in a million years would become a drug addict. Like Sara, mine started with stuff I was prescribed too. They had me in hospital on IV morphine and IV lorazepam every 4 hours for about 10 weeks. Then came the prescriptions etc.

Same. I always tear up at the very end where we see Sara's delusional mind set of them on the gameshow and she and her son hug and she says "I love you, Harry" and he says "I love you, too, mom" and she's all teary and scared. Its like what-could-have-been.

Me too. I hated drugs. I was the last person you'd ever think in a million years would become a drug addict. Like Sara, mine started with stuff I was prescribed too. They had me in hospital on IV morphine and IV lorazepam every 4 hours for about 10 weeks. Then came the prescriptions etc.

You know, it's a double-edged sword. Because before drugs, I was a shut-in loner who never could imagine even having the sort of friends you can get drugs from but one chance encounter my senior year of high school led me down a road of being accepted by a huge group of people for the first time. I started sharing a sense of comradery with people that I had never experienced. I felt valued and cared about, I realized I wasn't this cretin that no one could ever like. I realized I wasn't an introvert at all I just had no confidence. Despite ups and downs, I've been a lot happier overall since. I've experienced a lot of things that most people will never get a chance to, for better or worse, and continue to live an unconventional life. Wish I could've had that with out making some of the choices I did, but I don't necessarily regret anything at all in that regard.

You know, it's a double-edged sword. Because before drugs, I was a shut-in loner who never could imagine even having the sort of friends you can get drugs from but one chance encounter my senior year of high school led me down a road of being accepted by a huge group of people for the first time. I started sharing a sense of comradery with people that I had never experienced. I felt valued and cared about, I realized I wasn't this cretin that no one could ever like. I realized I wasn't an introvert at all I just had no confidence. Despite ups and downs, I've been a lot happier overall since. I've experienced a lot of things that most people will never get a chance to, for better or worse, and continue to live an unconventional life. Wish I could've had that with out making some of the choices I did, but I don't necessarily regret anything at all in that regard.

Same. I had severe depression and anxiety. When I was 19 I started Sertraline and plucked up the courage to hang out with my brother and his friends. It always involved heavy drinking so due to alcohol (and, later, drugs) I finally had a life and friends etc properly for the first time. Ironically, the same thing then caused me to lose them all. Although it was partly due to my mental health. I had psychotic depression and that summer I had my first non-depressive psychosis and was extremely erratic and unstable (this goes double because I have Borderline Personality Disorder which does that to me anyway).

this goes double because I have Borderline Personality Disorder which does that to me anyway

it do be like that lol, i have it on top of bipolar II, makes manic episodes so much more volatile, luckily I haven't had one for a while now after switching to new meds, knock on wood