Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Recommend a movie from another country! (Non english speakin plz)

Khadijah

Bluelight Crew
So This idea i got all started out becuz my moms and lil sister just go to block buster and get totally random movies that they pick out for no real reason once in a while, and they brought home this flick called Chakde India which is about these indian broads playin field hockey. So it is pretty funny and kind of cheesey and the point aint that its a movie that was amazing or told a original story or watever, its just that it was mad cool seein a world that i never knew nothing about. Its all in Hindi and it got subtitles but for some reason it is pretty entertaining. I like seein a totally different culture from mine that aint filtered thru a American lense, this movie was made in india and there aint nothin typically american about it.

So me and my man decided that it will be fun if once a week or when ever we got a random movie from another country. not a "foreign film" like the shit that comes to america and everyones like ooo wow its gonna get a oscar. Yall kno the type i am talkin about. like pans labyrinth, not that it wasnt a good movie I mean i would like to see just some silly flick that is that countrys version of the type of shit we got over here that we just watch for fun to distract our selves from the seriousness and bullshit for 2 hours. it seems like those ones aint made tryin to impress nobody and they are just free to be somethin for people to enjoy and you get the best idea of wat that country is really like.

So here I am askin the community of BL that aint america or english speakin to recommend a movie from their country that we could rent and check out. Anything is fine I just like seein other cultures becuz its interesting to me to learn about other countries and see how people are livin over there. I would love to see somethin chinese, korean, thai, russian, mexican, or watever the list goes on. So hopefully people can help me I know there is plenty of people here can prolly help me out.

Mmm, well before I clicked on the thread, my mind started flooding with titles I really dig, based on the topic title. Now that you've said you're not after "serious" movies, i'm not left with much. I'm actually not even totally sure what would qualify for the taste you're after.

I really wanted to reccommend French film, La Haine (Hate), but it's not a whimsical movie by any stretch. You should try it anyway.

If you're looking for cultural perspective, you can try Herzog's Wheel of Time. It's about Buddhism and set mostly in India. It's actually a documentary and is mostly in English, but it's narrated with a German accent if that's enough.

For a real culture shock, try Kandahar and the rather eye-opening, and at times disturbing, documentary that follows the feature on the DVD.

There's Spanish film, Butterfly (1999), which is a delightful, easy-going movie. It does have one moving and shocking scene that really gives the rest of the movie a lot of weight.

Goodbye, Lenin!, a German comedy of sorts. Fairly original story. Probably close to the type of movie you're looking for.

My last addition for now is Offside. It's in my collection, but I haven't actually watched it yet. But from the reviews i've read about it, it sounds most like Chakde India. It's set in Iran, and the one sentence plot from IMDB states:

Struggle of Women in a country that excludes them from entering the stadiums.

It's a comedy and the stadiums seem to regard soccer/football matches mostly.

^
Offside is cool; I saw it at a festival but it's not really a festival film, it's a light comedy - but gives a really good insight into modern Iran. It's all set at one football/soccer game, but the game isn't the point (you barely see the players).

Thai = Ong Bak

pretty mindless action movie but has some killer stunts & Muay Thai battles.

Mexican - Amores Perros directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu
Y Tu Mama Tambien directed by Alfonso Cuarón

I love both of these movies very much. :)

So me and my man decided that it will be fun if once a week or when ever we got a random movie from another country. not a "foreign film" like the shit that comes to america and everyones like ooo wow its gonna get a oscar.

I take it by this you mean you don't want something too artsy fartsy.

The Battle of Algiers is a hell of a movie. It tells the war of Algerian independence from both the French and Algerian perspective.

Au revoir, les enfants. Personally, I've seen enough holocaust movies to last me a life time. But if you haven't, get this one. It was blessed by the pope!

Stalingrad. Germany's answer to Saving Private Ryan

If you're wanting to get a movie with an otherworldly feel, you could just get a really old American movie. Early Charlie Chaplin movies take place in a world that, more all intents and purposes, does not exist anymore.

Again, I must be the only person who didn't like The Battle of Algiers. :( I feel like I'm missing out on something.

My rec is Tampopo. It's really funny. It's like 5 or 6 vignettes about food in Japan... mostly noodles. It's really really funny. There is one "sex" scene that is actually kind of funny (their fetish is food). It's not that sexual at all but I thought I'd mention it because you're watching it with your family and that's an 'issue' with some households. Anyway, still my top recommendation based on what you said you kind of are looking for...

Another that came to mind was Born into Brothels. It's not really a 'happy' film but it's a documentary about the children of prostitutes in Calcutta's red light district. It actually won the Best Documentary category at the Academy Awards but I don't really think that doesn't mean it's a good film that captures real life from other perspectives.

I also agree with mariacallas' recommendations. I liked both of those films very much. Only thing, Y Tu Mama Tambien is a very sexual movie. Like, there are several sex scenes and lots of speaking about (lusting about rather) sex. My family is probably more conservative than yours but I probably wouldn't be that comfortable watching a 3-some with my mom lol. But if your family is cool with that it's an amazing film. :)

Kontroll. the entirety of the flick is filmed underground in the budapest metro and the tight corridors lead to the use of amazing camera angles for chase scenes.

EA-1475 said:
If you're wanting to get a movie with an otherworldly feel, you could just get a really old American movie. Early Charlie Chaplin movies take place in a world that, more all intents and purposes, does not exist anymore.

i kind of agree but i get the feeling lacey wants to see films that show her other parts of the world and how life is in those parts. in that regard chaplin is limitedly american

oh yeah, Taxi is also funny :D

Man, I really do not read thoroughly. If you're just watching these films with your SO forget all my sex-worry. lol

Love & Pop (japan) its about schoolgirls and "compensated dating" in japan older guys pay to spend time with them... a coming of age story.

The Elite Squad (brazil) about police and how fucked up shit gets in brazil with corruption and drugs.

Tsotsi (south africa) heartless gangster steals a car from a mother then discovers the baby in the back seat. he takes back to the slums and starts to change from heartless to a caring person.

Wow guys thanks! Keep the suggestions comin. To anybody that wasnt sure exactly wat I was looking for. Well say how over in America how we will just sit down and watch a movie like Legally Blonde or some gay shit like that, becuz its on the TV and were bored, and it got lots of american culture in it. its un mistakably american. Well I guess I was looking for some movies that are other countries versions of that. NO, not other countries chick flicks about bimbos, lol. By usin that example, I just mean a light hearted, not having too much of a serious point, not a "four star groundbreaking blockbuster that will touch your heart and amaze your mind" , etc. Just flix that the general public of other countries watches the same way that we watch our "non thinking" movies that are just made for entertainment.

Anyways Ive already seen Ong Bak, that movie is fuckin ILL. I seen it a few years back and definately still watchin it from time to time just cuz the action is so sick and the scenes of Thailand and their culture is amazing. Thats another thing. Since there is so many kinds of subcultures in other countries that is different from each other all over the world, it is mad interesting to me to see these subcultures that I never seen in america , in foreign movies. Like the underground thai fighting circuit was mad intriguing to watch. So especially movies about any particular subculture would be good if anyone can think of some to mention aswell. once again thanks to everybody who postd so far

Do you want present culture or past culture?

Taxi make sure you get the right one, there's loads of different "Taxi" movies out there. Got some excellent French rap music in it.
De Indringer non "nutty" Flemish movie.
Simon Typical Dutch movie.
Flodder Typical Dutch movie, the other 3 flodders are the same.

Last edited:
A few others...
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Fritz Lang's M
Olivier, Olivier

Sorry about the lack of links, but I think these are the kind of films you're talking about. Not avant-garde, just good films from other countries:

Glue: south american film about kids doing their thang in a remote area. (Sorry I think it was Brazil, but I can't be sure.) There's short sequence of glue-sniffing, but most of the film is about being young, freaky and stuck in a small town in S. America.

City of God: Natch. Someone's probably mentioned this one. But if they haven't, I'm pretty sure you'd love it, Lacey. Story of life and drug business in the favelas (roughly: ghettos) in Brazil. A great film: bit harsh for some, but the soundtrack is killing and the film is quick and intense. And I didn't find it harsh so much as realistic in a very stylized way.

Run Lola Run: Great film. Set in Berlin I think. Again, this has probably been mentioned, but this film is a fun ride.

Mama, There's a Man in your Bed: French. Love story between upper-crusty French business man and the emigre-African woman who cleans the offices he works in. (If you know France and its fraught relationship with its colonial citizens, you'll appreciate it.) VERY GOOD. But a bit sentimental. If you don't want to see a HIGHLY unlikely but cheesy love story, skip it. This one's from 1989 I think. Hard to find. But excellent, unpredictable romantic comedy with incredible actors. The chemistry between the actors is unreal. And you will never see a protagonist like Fermine Richard as the leading lady. I can't do her justice in words. You gotta watch it to appreciate her. I have never seen a protagonist like her. I can't even get into words. She's one of the most powerful female characters I have ever seen on screen. Because you're you, I think you'll understand what I'm talking about. And I think she's hot.

But, it fits the description of a sort of "silly flick" from another country. France is actually drowned in that shit. Most of their films that don't make it over here are quite fluffy.

The Edukators: German flick. I bet you'd like this one a lot actually. About three anarchist youth in Germany who break into and tag up rich folks' homes/mansions with a message similar to: Your time has come/your day is over. That doesn't quite do it justice. They kidnap some capitalist cat who used to be a stoner/hippie/commune-living German back in the seventies when a lot of German youth were left-wing militant, blowing shit up and stuff. So they kidnap this totally bourgie cat, discover his history and then you just gotta watch it to find out. I found it a tiny bit simplistic at points but the spirit of it moved me.

i saw shutter recently and liked it
its thai horror

images

El Orfanato...aka The Orphanage
From the creator of Pans Labyrinth

its named something different in Japan, but the movie Hero imo is a great movie

I haven't seen it but I hear City of God is great and this new movie, that isnt out yet on DVD or whatever is Slumdog Millionaire
it won a few golden globes the other day