Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Films adapted from books

^Whilst I can and do say the movie was better than the book or vice versa, I am comparing two different mediums. What can work on paper cannot always be replicated on film, even when it comes to chronology of the story at times. Where time can be devoted in a book, often film cannot afford to do so. I cut filmmakers a lot more slack than I used to regarding book adaptations. They are not trying to remake a book, they are simply creating their own piece of work, albeit highly influenced by a book.

i am intrigued by this analysis. care to expand?

i feel that the movie trilogy is a cinematic masterpiece and the sheer scale of the project puts it into a category of its own but, even still, it can't hold a candle to the quantity and quality of the content of the book(s).
I might sound hypocritical here, but agree. I rate the movies very, very highly, but not even their epic standards quite do the books justice. There probably needs to be a dedicated thread about what I loved so much between each medium, but I do like Fellowship the best as it's tone represents the books best. Fellowship is more story and adventure focused, whereas the next two were a little more action focused than the books.

That's why I was excited to hear that The Hobbit will use backstories from the LOTR appendices and perhaps other sources to supplement The Hobbit story, which is told at a considerably faster pace and in lesser detail than LOTR.

I can't see The Silmarillion ever being put to film for similar story difficulties. Not only does it literally dwarf LOTR in scope, but how can the Ainulindale ever be conceived visually? Perhaps that section of the book is not critical to show. The history of the elves is probably enough for most (still pretty much impossible for film in my mind).

Movies better than the book (or at least equal):

No Country for Old Men.
Jurassic Park.
Bladerunner.
A Clockwork Orange.
American Psycho.
The Shining.
Fight Club.

I am truly shocked that you seriously consider these movies to be better than the books

although Bladerunner might not count, because it is a rather loose adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (by PKD), that is far better than the movie due to it's philosophical and materialistic questions it poses

and really? A Clockwork Orange and the Shining? the Shining is not only the best and most complete King novel, it is perhaps the best horror novel of all-time

I get your point, that there are some movies better than the books and this fact is overlooked due to pretension... but I think you are stretching it a bit here with some of these examples

Particularly good adaptations, IMO:

The Right Stuff

Blade Runner (In this instance, the movie is *much* better than the book.)

The Lord of the Rings

Contact (Better than the book IMO, though I last read it in HS.)

I am truly shocked that you seriously consider these movies to be better than the books

although Bladerunner might not count, because it is a rather loose adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (by PKD), that is far better than the movie due to it's philosophical and materialistic questions it poses

and really? A Clockwork Orange and the Shining? the Shining is not only the best and most complete King novel, it is perhaps the best horror novel of all-time

I get your point, that there are some movies better than the books and this fact is overlooked due to pretension... but I think you are stretching it a bit here with some of these examples

i agree with most of this but no country for old men. A Clockwork Orange (film) is such a betrayal of the book in the sense that it ends before the book actually ends. some people argue this makes it better, i certainly don't think it does. i can take my argument about the king book to the reading thread, but agree about Fight Club as well.