Votes: 6 10.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
I just watched this adorable film yesterday. It was a tiny, unclear rip - I missed it when it came out in theatres for like just 3 days here... when will it ever be released on DVD?? - but I am still definitely impressed. I am only familiar with one of the director's older works: Requiem..., and I never cared too much for that film.

But the fountain is a beautiful work of art. I don't understand why so many people (offline and on IMDB, not BL) claim that it is incoherent - it definitely is very coherent if you're willing to think. Very few people in the west have the balls to make such bold yet subtle statements about the virtue of death.

Excellent job on the soundtrack too, btw.

Last edited:
it really is a beautiful movie with a beautiful message. i didn't think it was self-indulgent at all and it left plenty of room for personal interpretation.

i'm also glad he cast his wife - she's gorgeous :)

alasdair

there's a beautiful graphic novel which was made at the same time as this film

I downloaded a cam rip months ago, and deleted it because it was clear that picture quality was going to be an issue. I saw a DVD rip last night, and despite going in with some worries about the story, I was pleased. The music was excellent (better than requiem's) and I'm, glad he got away from doing this quick "hip hop" montages.

what a beautiful film. i was a little disappointed with the cgi in the end... not that it was poorly done or anything, but... I thought it failed to capture the totality of what it was going for.

Of course, I'm not sure how otherwise one would've captured what he wanted to capture.

This was a very ambitious film, and I thought it was incredibly well done - and it certainly fits within Aaronofsky's philosophical themes of his other films (especially Pi). He's very good at painting portraits of flawed people obsessed with making the pieces fit. I think this movie compliments Pi wonderfully.

I have a feeling this is the kind of director who is never quite satisfied with how his films end. But I think he's reached his closest vision here.

Very inspiring. Made me cry.

The Fountain is not your typical sci-fi fare. It's one of those films that will probably be recognized as a great work of art in 15 years, but right now is totally not getting the recognition it deserves due to bad box office revenue and a fairly stupid movie-going public.

To be fair, there were a few weak points. While Hugh Jackman did a pretty good job, I think he lacks the talent to carry such an epic role appropriately. He had to play a 16th century Spanish warrior, a modern scientist and a futuristic Buddhist hippie traveling in a soap bubble... all the while mulling over his own death and living with his terminally ill wife. This is an extremely difficult role, and Jackman wasn't the right man for the job. He does a good job, but not a great one.

Secondly, I know the word has already been slung around a few times, but the film definitely struck me as being self-indulgent. It seems to linger a little too long in some parts just for the hell of it, and the constant fading to black and fading to white was irritating. I would also have preferred the narrative spend more time in the past and the future; they spent a lot of time in the present. This was probably due to budget constraints. And as long as we're harping on flaws the writing was, I thought, less than stellar. There aren't any lines in this movie that will stick with you.

But what will stick you is the imagery. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous film. Darren Aronofsky's eye for visual composition, as well as the technical crew he's assembled, are his absolute ace in the hole. Take that scene with Tommy when he leaves the hospital and is walking on the street. All ambient noise is eliminated and the only thing you hear are the sound of his footsteps in the snow; meanwhile, a shower of sparks cascade in the darkness behind him. Just gorgeous. Plus, aside from the constant fading to black and white, this film is chock full of extremely graceful and beautiful transitions that make excellent use of shapes and light.

But the real payoff is the ending. For the first hour and fifteen minutes I wasn't that sold on the film; it was decent, but not remarkable. Then the closing sequence kicks in; the three separate narratives meld into one and the visual imagery kicks it up into a gear you didn't even know existed. The last fifteen minutes are absolutely amazing. I had to watch it twice. It was that good. And the score, which has been building you up subtly for this last fifteen minutes, also kicks it into high gear. You have to see it for yourself. Words cannot describe.

In case you don't want to read all that stuff I just wrote, here is a brief recap: the film is a complex metaphysical reflection on the nature of life and death that conveys its message via very clever visual composition. While it seems like the film meanders for the first 75 minutes, the last 15 minutes are so good you will completely forget how you even got from the beginning of this movie to the end.

Last edited:
^i always enjoy reading your reviews mr benefit man. even when i don't agree with them.

i predominantly agree with this one btw. I thought Jackman did a fine job.

i think the film was great eye candy, but supremely disappointing. i was really expecting to love this film, but i was bored to tears.

I usually cannot get into fantasy/sci-fi flicks but the love story is what kept me watching. I cried but that may have been PMS.

smirky said:
what a beautiful film. i was a little disappointed with the cgi in the end... not that it was poorly done or anything, but... I thought it failed to capture the totality of what it was going for.

it wasn't cgi
check earlier posts in this thread or imdb trivia

I can't really say much more, but in my opinion the Fountain is one of the finest pieces of cinema to come out in a long time.

I finally got the DVD and watched the film properly. I agree for the most part with Benefit's well-written review.

I am proud of Arnofsky's adventure into the long-shunned idea of "death as a creative act". This is probably what turns most people off - it seems like Hollywood has imprinted in most people some kind of orphic ideal about a hero bringing someone back to life through love (read: sex). I think this film does the opposite, and I admire it for that.

I also love his treatment of music and sound in general, which are generally an after-thought in film.

While this is not my favourite film, it is definitely among the best I've watched, not to say that I've always been big on film (although I'm starting to admire this art form more and more :)).

I wanna revive this thread (heh). I just caught the end of this beautiful film on TV... too bad I tuned in too late.

I just want to emphasize just how much I appreciate this one. It is the only film besides Baraka that made me actually cry. It is difficult for me to imagine someone not liking this film (which is more often than not the case) if one understand the delicacy and and intelligence of the narrative...

Highly recommended. If I were to list my three favourite movie, this would be the third.

Is it out on DVD? I think Ill rent it
so either it will be a spiritual tear-jerker or a boring flimsy-fest. who cares it's darren aranofsky, gotta check it out.

brothermarcus said:
it's good... requires some pretty heavy attention. visually and metaphorically stunning, but if you're expecting the a.d.d.-friendly spastic style of pi or requiem you'll be disappointed. aranofsky comes with a warm and flowing style for this one, melding some commonalities of the spiritual nature with a formulaic romantic tragedy... although i'm not sure it would be a very good "date" movie, unless you were prepared to have some very serious existential discussions with your date over pie afterwards. not powerful enough to change my opinion about certain things, but subtly effective enough to be a whisper in my ear.

Took the words right outta my mouth, m'dear.
I love this movie. I have to watch it again.

^I saw this again last night from beginning to end. Wow.....words fail me. I was in a daze about a few minutes after the credits finished rolling. Such a beautiful piece, and the music was especially haunting and lovely.

further proof that the wavelengths of mine to the world's have reached a jarring gulf. i just dont get it. this movie fucking sucked. ill have to watch pi again to ascertain whether requiem for a dream isnt just a one-shot-clot

^ I actually did not find Requiem that special, yet The Fountain is one of my favourite movies.

This one, though, is a work of literature.

And I agree with MC - the soundtrack is one of the best ever.

I tried to watch it about 6 months ago.... I remember just being very confused. :(

Ordered it from Netflix after seeing this thread.... it should be here tonight. Looks like the type of film you have to watch a few times to "get," if you get it at all.