Votes: 6 10.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
maybe i watched it in the wrong mood (read: benzos + weed + apathy). either way, i can dig the idea of death=creation and romance being a fucknig annoying constant repetition in art in general to me (that's why I love russian and polish and slavic film - its nice and depressing :) no fucking love there baby, life is a bitch and then you die [1/2 jk]), it gets boring, although here we have it again, but i didnt see how the movie illustrated any higher truths - i really should watch it again

What a beautiful film. A bit heavy-handed in its metaphors, but that's part of the charm.

I like how Religious zealotry = Cancer

Spoilers:

NSFW:
The Inquisition was eating away at Spain (The Queen) from within, just as the cancer was doing so to Izzi

The Conquistador was so obsessed with eradicating the Inquisition that he did not pay attention to his beloved Queen & country, just as the doctor was so obsessed with finding a cure for his wife's illness that he paid no attention to his wife (until it was too late).

ohh man

i am tripping, or benzos are retard-factories, or the DVD was fucking broken, or i turned off the movie without even realising i had stopped watching, cuz i dont remember anything about any of that loool

ahh drugs...good to make you feel like an innocent lil retard

Yeah the whole thing is pretty much a 3-level analogy. Sort of a story within a story within a story.

My favourite scenes:

NSFW:
- The first Spain segment, especially the queen's chamber with the floating candles...etc

- Near the end, when he drinks from the tree, dies, and turns into plants.

Last edited:
I have tried to watch this pretentious piece of shite four times with an open mind. I can never make it all the way through. Sorry. That's just my opinion, but this movie tries to be so profound and fails.

I enjoyed this film. His films are usually the same tone throughout but this one struck as uniquely talanted or at least diferrent, and the part with his wife made me cry.

I don't judge movies like assholes though, usually if i don't have something nice to say, I usually keep silent.

yeah the whole thing is pretty much a 3-level analogy. Sort of a story within a story within a story.

My favourite scenes:

NSFW:
- the first spain segment, especially the queen's chamber with the floating candles...etc

- near the end, when he drinks from the tree, dies, and turns into plants.

indeed.

Spoilers:

NSFW:
The Inquisition was eating away at Spain (The Queen) from within, just as the cancer was doing so to Izzi

The Conquistador was so obsessed with eradicating the Inquisition that he did not pay attention to his beloved Queen & country, just as the doctor was so obsessed with finding a cure for his wife's illness that he paid no attention to his wife (until it was too late).

THAT'S a great and to the point summation.

^^I agree wholeheartedly. (haha belated reaction)

*bump* Been listening to this soundtrack for the past couple of hours...I think I may be obssessed. I may watch my DVD again very soon.

<3sigh<3

Last edited:
me and a friend bought the blu-ray version on ebay as I'd heard it was a film people either love or hate and Id already heard the score and loved it so why not.

All I can say is that is without a doubt the most beautiful film Ive ever seen. The acting, the cinematography and the score were all just so perfect. Will have to watch the film a few more times to properly build my perceived understanding though ;(

the spanish inquisition bit was entirely fictitious, it was the the 'crown' that were behind the inquisition in reality, so it was a shame that they couldn't do a historically accurate back story, but it didnt really annoy me while I was watching it.

Last edited:
Takes so many viewings of this movie to understand it. I still have a few questions, but after prolly the 6th time watching it, I think I have a pretty good understanding lol

I have tried to watch this pretentious piece of shite four times with an open mind. I can never make it all the way through. Sorry. That's just my opinion, but this movie tries to be so profound and fails.
Hahaha! :D

Yeah, it's a bit of a car crash, I'm afraid. I was nearly taken in by the visuals, but sense had prevailed by the closing credits.

It's almost as if Aronofsky had somehow managed to get the names and addresses of every dimwit Hollywood actor/starlet over the past 15 years who has uttered some new-age spiritual bollocks, sucked all the quasi-buddhist pretentiousness right out of them, then distilled it into a super-potent film of mincing self-indulgence.

I cant see how anyone could watch this and not think it was self-indulgent.

I wanted to like it - especially given the visuals and score - but the symbolism was handled in a very ham-fisted manner. The film was also quite repetitive in places, yet somehow failed to really drive home any real message that couldn't have been summed up in a simpler fashion.

It all seemed a bit of a pompous, though beautiful, mess really.

but the symbolism was handled in a very ham-fisted manner. The film was also quite repetitive in places, yet somehow failed to really drive home any real message that couldn't have been summed up in a simpler fashion.

It all seemed a bit of a pompous, though beautiful, mess really.

don't you hate when that happens? been a while since i saw the film but i have to agree... why the hell is this thread being bumped anyway? shame on all of us.

seeing the word symbolism reminds me of what i was saying recently in the ghostdog thread about the topic. the fountain was just kind of a disconnected clusterfuck. nonlinearity can be a bitch. jarmusch is just as liable for being 'ham-fisted' (nice one) on the symbolism front but for fuck's sakes at least he makes movies where the symbolism buttresses a nice, sensible, linear plot NOT vice versa and with a nonlinear plot just to throw in a pointless mindfuck.

my personal favorite movie. i have loved it from first viewing.

"together, we will live forever".........in a story!