Votes: 8 25.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters

onetwothreefour

Bluelight Crew
wow. those of you not familiar with sofia coppola (daughter of francis ford coppola; cousin of nicolas cage) should go and see the virgin suicides, probably. but you should *definitely* see this.

though tvs had praise heaped upon it, i always thought it was a little overrated - critics seem to start frothing at the mouth whenever they see potential, leading to a lot of directors being overhyped for their first films. but coppola did show her talent in that film - it was beautifully shot, and the scripting was natural, believable, and reasonably enjoyable. the film just seemed to lack a little spark, imo - being slow isn't a fault, but it can be if the characters aren't quite interesting enough to hold your direct attention through the slower portions of the narrative.

in lost in translation though, her latest film starring bill murray (who, luckily, after a terrible phase through the late '80s, then again after the awesome groundhog day until wes anderson came across him, has had some amazing films recently) as almost washed-up hollywood star actor, bob harris. honestly, murray used to be one of the most underrated actors in hollywood (and he still is, a little, but at least seems to be getting some credibility now - he deserves an oscar for this role, too), but the more he takes roles like this, the more it will dissapear.

strangely enough, this was actually written with murray in mind, and though that's usually the death knell of most scripts, coppola's deft hand at creating believable, flawed and real characters is highlighted by the fact that murray fits her character like a glove. murray has long had the ability to play characters with many intricacies, but it is rare that he was able to find such roles - this though, is absolutely perfect for him. and though the role of charlotte, the tag-along wife of disinterested in everything but work rock-star photographer john (giovanni ribisi, as reliable and appealingly-odd as ever), wasn't written for her as was murray's, scarlett johanssen's co-starring appearance as the early-twenty-something charlotte is stunning.

she was good in ghost world, and the man who wasn't there, and taking note that she's still only nineteen years old (eighteen when this was filmed, oh my god!), she was just amazing in this film. johanssen brings a subtle sexuality (see only the scenes with the supremely ott hollywood starlet-friend of her husband's to prove this point) to the role, which is matched only be coppola's direction.

and i really think this is an amazing film - the scene in which we watch an entire conversation between charlotte and bob (murray) in the reflection, whilst simultaneously gazing out (and occasionally getting lost in) the night-time tokyo skyline is one of the most beautiful ever committed to film.

and coppola isn't afraid to liven things up - though the film has a feeling of yearning, self-doubt and dissapointment throughout it, it can also be uplifting, and the bouts of slapstick humour (i'm sure you've seen the trailer, but there's a few other scenes too) scattered throughout are welcome additions.

i guess i haven't gone over the film's plot too much - but i'm really only looking for discussion from people who've seen the film, what i wrote really wasn't supposed to sound so much like a review as it did! :) anyway, this is already challenging lotr: rotk as the best film i've seen all year (and that's a *big* task), so i thoroughly recommend it. thoughts, everyone?

Last edited:
I saw this film last night, i enjoyed it despite the bad reviews i'd heard. I think you really have to pay attention to what the characters are saying and doing to understand it, instead of trying to work out a plot. A lot of people who were there last night said it was boring maybe for this reason? It really isnt plot driven, so keep that in mind.

Both characters aren't sure whats going on in there lives, they are 'lost' to state the obvious and are in many ways opposites, his career and marriage is ending, while hers are just beging. I don't really want to say too much more incase i spoil it for people.

I liked the way there was no subtitles for the english, putting you in Bob and Charlotte's situation. The japanese appear to be at the butt of all the jokes which i wasn't to keen on, but they may well be like that.

I'd definately recomend this film if you havent already seen it.

i don't really think the japanese were the butt of the jokes (though i've read a lot of comments saying they were). rather, i think that coppola just wanted to emphasise the humour that can be found in the clash of cultures, particularly one as weird as japan's (and yeah, they're really that weird, possibly more so).

i thought this was a beautiful movie.

*** minor spoiler ***

i liked the fact that, at the end when they said their farewell, we didn't get to hear what bill murrary whispered in her ear.

alasdair

Hey, I loved that too. I saw it a few days ago and I'm still thinking up all the possible conclusions. This was a powerful movie experience for myself - although it probably wasn't until after the film as I thought about it more the subtleties of their relationship made any meaning to me. Having said this, the soundtrack totally moved me then and there and I sense totally complimented the heart-wrenching performances. One of the finest films for me in a while.

what alasdair said - yep, it was a great moment.

something, which my i discussed with a friend, though, which sums up this film for me: the fact that the one moment, when they're lying on the bed together and bob touches charlotte's foot, is probably the most romantic and amazingly touching scene that i've seen in the last couple of years worth of films. it's just so *wow* you know - that all this emotion, all this feeling, is summed up in one tiny movement - unlike the usual hollywood bullshit, we don't need tears and drama and declarations of love...just some realistic, heartfelt dialogue, and a slight move of a hand.

even though i *already* want to make films, if i didn't, this would be the film to inspire me to do so. it grows on me more and more the more i think about it. sofia coppola = god.

oh, and sorry about all the commas, (probable) spelling mistakes, and superlatives - i'm a little drunk =D (but it's still an amazing movie!)

onetwothreefour said:
...when they're lying on the bed together and bob touches charlotte's foot, is probably the most romantic and amazingly touching scene that i've seen in the last couple of years worth of films.

i totally agree. it was a great example of how less is (much much) more.

alasdair

^^^ i'm yet to see that, but i hope to catch it sometime next week. it really looks like a pretty exciting year in cinema is upon us, especially if 21 grams is as good as everyone is saying.

^^^ what a stupid, pompous cunt. though i guess i haven't really heard his reasoning as yet, so perhaps i should leave my judgements...

...nah ;)

Went to see the film this evening on my own. I was completely impressed. It was very thoughtful, touching, uplifting and beautifully shot. The little things that have been picked up in the thread already such as the hand on the foot and not hearing what was said at the end are exactly the moments that stood out for me too. The soundtrack was completely mesmersing aswell. Very good film.......and yes Scarlett Johansson is beautful, I can't believe she's only 19, I just found that out when I read it in this thread.

I love this movie. I thought it was more of a friendship Bill murray had to
Charlotte Johanssen than a sexual thing. I honestly didnt want it to be sexual, their friendship was much more special. There was a huge connection they had because of the fact that they were in a strange land with little contact with other people because of the language barrier.

The scene where Charlotte was confessing that her relationship to her husband isnt what it used to be was one of the best emotional movie scene in 2003. She should of been up for an oscar but now a days its all politics. Her performence is vastly superior to any other actress up for best supporting actress.

Anyone know what Murray said in her ears at the end? I think it was a thank you or "you be fine."

I suck at movie reviews, wish I was more articulate because there so much more to this movie that I want to dissus. It was much deeper than critics think.

^^^ *scarlett :)

and, so far, i'm not sure as to what he whispered to her - though many people have said that it doesn't matter to the film (and, well, technically it doesn't - the film loses nothing if we don't know), i'm curious too. i'd like to know if it was scripted (then it's easy to find out), otherwise i guess the only way we'll ever know is if someone gets the answer out of johannsen or murray themselves.

personally (and with a little bit of consideration and hindsight) i think this is the best film i've seen in a good year or so, and should win best director; best actor; best actress. of course, it won't, but hopefully at least one or two of them...

^^^ indeed. it will be interesting if he actually sticks to them, or instead decides to make up the usual 'i was taken out of context' bullshit.

I just finished watching this on DVD and loved it. It seemed like Murray was absolutely perfect for the role and, after reading the above posts, he was! ;) It was amazing how much emotion he conveyed simply through body language and facial expressions. I absolutely loved the scene at the beginning where Murray was filming the whisky commercial. The Japanese director would talk for like a minute and the translator would then give him a two word direction. Hilarious!

I love this movie - already seen it like 5 times.

And I am most impressed that she was able to make a non-lame karaoke scene. I found it to be an excellent device to glean more information about the characters.

I still cant get Scarlett Johanssen's character out of my mind. Can you imagine meeting someone like that and having such a wonderful time. She just great, and its good to see some natural beauty. I'm so sick of all these models that look exactly the same.

Anyone see the outtakes? There one where Murray in the dinner place and he just talking to the camera crew. He praticing his japanese and say " do you know who you're talking to" in japanese. He then proceed to say that to some of the crew memember. Funny stuff.....yahoo had it on their movie page. Try to take a look there.

It seemed like Murray was absolutely perfect for the role and, after reading the above posts, he was!

Apparently the character was wrote with Bill Murray in mind.