Votes: 4 7.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters
I hate to be the party pooper. When the debate was on about who was to be the next Bond, I was praying to all deities that the block of wood otherwise known as Clive Owen was not chosen. There are some films which are perfectly suited for Owen. Children Of Men is one of those films. Perhaps a more emotional score would have given it more life. I am usually easily stirred. Sitting through Children Of Men, I didn't feel even a flutter of emotion. Owen was his usual wooden self; the film a body of dead water. The two, perfectly suited for each other.

Two stars.

Having thought this through ten seconds longer, I just realised something. I've been americanized (eek!
eek.gif
) ! When 28 Days and 28 Days Later came out, I think I was the only one I know who thought it was a total waste of time. I guess I've come to expect any big-screen film in English to be full of perfect special effects and exceptional musical scores. Anything less and my mind dismisses it as low budget rot. Unless it's French, or Brazilian. Then my mind expects vintage quality colours, hues and streaks across the screen and a minimal soundtrack.

In light of this realisation, I am bumping my rating to three stars... and a half. ;)

I'll try watching this again in the spring. Maybe it's the lack of daytime light... or something.

You mention the premise being explained too many times, but i didn't see that at all. What i really enjoyed about it is it's complete lack of exposition. Then, SA says it's americanised. With the delayed release in the US, it wouldn't surprise me if it had been dumbed down a bit.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't edited and I think it's actually kind of offensive to suggest that when things come to America they tend to be "dumbed down". Then again, maybe I'm just reading you wrong?

I still think the premise was over-explained. I mean that literally in that it was explained many many times (women can't have babies and it affects everything... I get it), not solved. The premise doesn't necessarily include the truth behind the events, just as they're presenting them. I realize that's not a very good explanation but I'm not too good with words (because I'm American ;) jk).

Last edited:
L2R said:
Then, SA says it's americanised.
not quite, L2R
SillyAlien said:
I just realised something. --> I've <-- been americanized ... I guess I've come to expect any big-screen film in English to be full of perfect special effects and exceptional musical scores.

AmorRoark said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't edited and I think it's actually kind of offensive to suggest that when things come to America they tend to be "dumbed down".
But... they are. :D

I remember seeing a couple of British-made documentaries where they were interviewing people in Australia and parts of England. I can't remember the subject matter they were discussing, but that's irrelevant - the interviewees spoke in a perfectly understandable and comprehensible voice. What's important is that I saw the documentary again re-broadcast in the US. Naturally, they'd edited it with an familiar US narrator, which is fine... nothing wrong with that. But they also did something else... something unforgivable...

...they'd subtitled the interviews! Hahahah! =D English subtitles over English language!

closed captioning? It's quite prevalent in the US.

Why on earth would you subtitle people speaking English?

It wasn't for the hearing-impaired either, as it was only the interviews that were subtitled.

tambourine-man said:
The film wisely doesn't predict a spangly vision of 2027, nor does it show an absurdly decayed dystopia. In many ways, much of Britain looks the same - as do the customs and rituals of it's inhabitants. Ths isn't an alien world... it's home. The use of CGI is employed to create this effect, however, it isn't the best CGI. In some places it looks too compuer generated, but it's use is quite conservative (no doubt not to emotionally distance the viewer from the possibility of this vision being a reality).
+1 to everything tambo said. I just watched this yesterday for the first time. It's possibly my favourite film of the year.

I was also glad they didn't go overboard on any gimmicky and distracting futurism. There was just enough to remind us that it was set in the future, but familiar enough to let us concentrate on the story. The warzone sets were amazingly well done too. They went to a LOT of bother, hehe.

The 'car reversing' and 'tower block' scenes were outstanding. I wonder how many takes were needed?

I can't believe I never came back to this thread with a review!

I would easily say this was the best film I have seen this year...it was so harrowing, but with an undercurrent of hope that seemed a lot more real and meaningful than you would normally see in a movie like this.

For everything the characters went through, it means more that they kept trying even when there was no real payoff a lot of the time...and in fact it got to the point where everytime someone got a break I found myself cringing and waiting for the inevitable boot to drop.

This is a great movie to see if you want proof of how despicable and how great people really are I think...

On another note, I agree with comments about the incredible effort they went to establishing the look and the feel of this near future.

Very very awesome movie. :)

Thanks for bumping this Raz... I watch a fair few movies myself and this is probably my favorite film of 2006. Always kind of liked Clive Owen, especially enjoyed his character in Sin City... after seeing trailers I was really looking forward to this film and was not disappointed.

I found it harrowing, touching and exciting... I remember sitting in my seat after it finished wishing for another hour to see what happened next.

Definitely buying it when it's released on DVD.

I have wante to watch this movie since this thread began, and had plans to go see it the day it came out and was SO frustrated to find out it is only in limited release. i can't find it anywhere in my state.....florida :p this is a rare movie, i am sooo touched by the trailers. can't wait!

I really don't know what to make of this film. It was ok, but not as good as some reviews make it out to be. I think in terms of filming it really got into its own by following Owen around during the combat scenes in the prison/refugee camp. I really think the script could have used a rewrite or something. I can see the Full Metal Jacket/Shining references in terms of filming but the director isn't Kubrick. I think Kubrick would have made a better film. Some of the metaphors were a bit overt, the sheep, the "Tomorrow" reference, etc. Caine was good in a sort of supporting role. I don't know if the Owen-Moore relationship was believable.
Its worth a watch anyways.

tambourine-man said:
But... they are. :D

I remember seeing a couple of British-made documentaries where they were interviewing people in Australia and parts of England. I can't remember the subject matter they were discussing, but that's irrelevant - the interviewees spoke in a perfectly understandable and comprehensible voice. What's important is that I saw the documentary again re-broadcast in the US. Naturally, they'd edited it with an familiar US narrator, which is fine... nothing wrong with that. But they also did something else... something unforgivable...

...they'd subtitled the interviews! Hahahah! =D English subtitles over English language!

Believe it or not some English accents are difficult for Americans to decipher. One of my good friend's dad is originally from Liverpool and I constantly have to ask him to repeat himself. Your statement "the interviewees spoke in a perfectly understandable and comprehensible voice" is COMPLETELY biased from your perspective as a non-American.

American hating -> EADD :D

just saw it last night, and, well i suck at reviews, so i am just going to say WOW.

it was just so intense, and hands down, for me...the best movie i have seen in many many years.

AmorRoark said:
Believe it or not some English accents are difficult for Americans to decipher. One of my good friend's dad is originally from Liverpool and I constantly have to ask him to repeat himself. Your statement "the interviewees spoke in a perfectly understandable and comprehensible voice" is COMPLETELY biased from your perspective as a non-American.

American hating -> EADD :D
Mmmmm... maybe. But I guess the rest of the world is so over-exposed to all manner of American accents (films, TV, radio) that understanding even the most esoteric of accents becomes... well, expected.

DarthMom said:
just saw it last night, and, well i suck at reviews, so i am just going to say WOW.

it was just so intense, and hands down, for me...the best movie i have seen in many many years.

co sign! W8o W , it was a thriller for me, sick directing, where did they film this ? characters were awesome, i love jasper "cough... strawberries.. its called strawberry cough" LOL awesome writting. shit i give this 5 stars. =D

AmorRoark said:
Your statement "the interviewees spoke in a perfectly understandable and comprehensible voice" is COMPLETELY biased from your perspective as a non-American.
Not to derail the thread, but respectfully I disagree. Although I am a non-American also, so maybe I'm biased as well. ;)

I'm Australian, and I have met some Irish and Scottish people that you really have to pay attention to so you can understand every word - still though, I would never ask that they be subtitled...it's just a matter of paying attention.