Votes: 2 8.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Tongue

Bluelighter
jut heard that HEATH LEDGER will be starring in CANDY, flick about 2 london-esque heroin addicts...based on the book CANDY written by some chick, this movie will be based on true accounts...

i mean, do we really need another heroin flick??i think they are all one and the same...

u aree or disagree??

I think it's ridiculous to blacklist a film--that you haven't even seen--based on the blanket subject it deals with. The bottom line is: does it tell a good story? After all, when you really think about it, is there a point to cinema other than telling a story?

IMDB says that it's directed by Neil Armfield. He directed some made-for-tv movies in the late 80's and directed some cheap b-movies throughout the nineties. Judging by the looks of it, like most people in the industry, he hasn't had the best luck in Hollywood. Maybe this movie will tell a fantastic story, be very aesthetically pleasing and well constructed, and it will be his big break....or maybe it will be just a higher budget rendition of b-movie cinema. Who knows? I'm interested to see the results, instead of just saying "OMG! ANOTHER HEROIN MOVIE!8) "

i hear ya, but im afraid this will be yer typica drug flick..aka great looking chick has eveything going for her, then tries the ddemon drug, it shows her nodding off, then eventully shows her stealing and selling her ass for the drug..i predict the same old shit...

^^ yeah...pretty much, except the book is written from a male p.o.v. and discusses his and his girfriend's relationship while on dope. Not a bad read, but nothing amazing.
I'll see the movie.

yeah, there just seems to be so many books whre heroin addicts depict their own rise and fall...same old shit..there is one book written by ANN MARLOWE that looks interesting...she nver ruined her life with dope, she is pro-legalization, etc etc....i might pick 9t up one day...she also said that heroin cures jet lag????

Firstly this movie is AUSTRALIAN not English.

Its a fantastic book and Im sure it will be a fantasic movie. How about you read the book before you make any comments.

And the books written by Luke Davies not some chick.

Im sure the movie will not do the book any justice. The book is written beautifully and you really feel for these two lost souls. I doubt you could protray in a movie but I can't wait to see this. Candy was such a life changing book for me

Last edited:
film: Candy

I saw this movie last week and thought it was very well done. It is now among my all time favorite drug movies. The balance of pleasure and pain and the delightful abandonment of drug use was very realistic.

Anyone else see it?

Shameless bump. Check this flick out!

I was skeptical about a Heroin flick featuring Heath Ledger but I thought the acting was decent and the movie was a fair portrayal. I'd like to hear what BLers have to say about this movie.

I want to watch this. This thread has reminded me to rent it
smile.gif

I liked it

Was a very honest appraisal of the user culture with out trying to force any shitty symbolism down your throat. It was especially honest in the way it looked at the dynamic between two users in a relationship and especialy how difficult it is for both to dry out given they constantly in the presence of another craving addict.

i watched this movie a few days ago. it was good and well done. i was a little skeptical about heath ledger <sp?> playing a druggard, but i enjoyed it. 3/5 stars

We had a thread on this Aus Drug a while ago.

FILM: Candy

As I said there, the depiction of the heroin scene in Melbourne/Sydney of Australia was really well done, another Aussie film around the same time called 'Little Fish' starring Cate Blanchett, also about heroin is worth watching too.

I absolutely loved the book and have read it several times. The movie....hmmmm.....I can only hope it lives up to the book is all I can say.

i saw this last night. candy reminds me a lot of myself. overall, it was very well done and i agree with venus, it's one of my all time fave drug movies.

I enjoyed it. I do some work with people who are exactly like the main characters - for all intents and purposes, junkies. I thought this film captured the lives of this group really well.

^^^
What's wrong with her saying Candy reminds her of her? Way to put someone down for no reason.

Anyway I suggest everyone reads the book Candy it's so much better than the movie and all of Luke Davies books are AMAZING!! But Candy is by far the best.

I can't decide if I like the movie or not. I loved the book so I had really high expectation on this movie which of course it didn't live up to but movies never do. I loved some scenes and thought they were beautiful but they cut out so many scenes for this movie that make the story great without them the story is just so limited.

I wonder is this is a realistic view of two herion addicts though. I've never been inot heroin but when I watched the scene where Heath is in the shower after day 3 of coming clean I wondered if this was realistic.