• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentanyl OD timeline

amandalishus

Greenlighter
My gf put too much fentanyl up her nose and passed out in the bathroom. I got her up off the floor and onto the couch, but by that time her lips were turning blue. I got her breathing again with CPR-style breathing, and I've been holding here for an hour, poking and prodding her every time she stops breathing for more than 10 seconds. That's been happening about once a minute, maybe two minutes. How long will this last? Before she's stable and I can count on her to stay alive?

Obviously, immediate answers appreciated.

This is no fucking joke blue lips are sign of oxygen deprivation. Enough of that can lead to irreversible brain damage. Call er and continue the breathing for her like you were until they get there and give her narcan unless you have some use it on her now. If she wake-up brain dead because you were too afraid of being in trouble calling for help she will never forgive you. Don't make the wrong choice

Is this a fucking joke? Who the hell goes on an online message board for advice when someone is OD'ing?? If this is serious, grow a pair and call a fucking ambulance for christ's sake...

Yes hospital is what you should have done immediately. But I've also recovered from two separate fentanyl analogue ODs without ER. I.e. I woke up with a serious bell ringer and a massive headache.... I'd call it luck though... hope she's okay.

To answer some of your questions:

-Yes, she's fine now. Thanks for asking.

-No, it was not a "fucking joke," and you're a fucking dick for implying it was. Thanks for the insults too, had you actually answered in a useful period of time you would have successfully made someone in a traumatic situation feel even worse. Way to go, asshole. Also, I'm a transgender woman, so your suggestion that I "grow a pair" is not only wildly offensive and totally misogynistic, but also unintentionally ironic. Fuck you and your fucking attitude. People like you are the reason the internet sucks. Bluelight is normally an exception, but obviously they can't keep all of the useless morons out.

-As for who posts on a forum in such a situation, I'd say anyone looking for answers that they could not otherwise find. Obviously, I had my own reasons for not calling an ambulance, not least of which is that my partner and I are both transgender and therefore not guaranteed service if and when they arrive... mostly due to people like Mr. Grow-A-Pair up there. The fact is, had I called an ambulance when her lips were blue, it wouldn't have gotten there in time. By the time I got her breathing again, her lips were no longer blue, and while her breathing was irregular and did stop for about 10 seconds at a time occasionally, the immediate danger seemed to have posed. However, I could not find *any* information on how long the situation might continue, even on bluelight, which is normally our go-to resource for this kind of question. I could have kept her stable like that indefinitely, and she was occasionally briefly regaining consciousness so I was reasonably convinced that she was going to eventually be okay. I was merely interested in what the duration might be, so I asked. If I'd needed insults I'd have gone to reddit, and if I wanted obvious suggestions like "see a doctor" I'd have consulted WebMD. I came to bluelight because I figured that, if I didn't get an answer, I could at least provide some information to the next person who might be looking for the same thing.

-Special thanks to tacodude, who at least tried to help, and psychedelicham, for a thoughtful and reassuring answer.

At any rate, the answer is about 90 minutes. After roughly that much time, she regained consciousness more or less continuously and had little to no further respiration issues. She was extremely disoriented for an additional 30 minutes, and wobbly enough that I didn't let her stand for another 30 after that. At this point, approximately six hits after taking the overdose, she had fully recovered and wants to continue with our plans for the evening. I'm probably more shaken up than she is. Go figure.

Anyway, if you are searching because your situation is similar to mine for whatever reason, the suggestion that you should do whatever you can to get Narcan administered as soon as possible, up to and including calling an ambulance. Many places (though not where I live) have laws protecting you from prosecution in that circumstance. However, at least for us, not calling worked out. I had to monitor her closely for 90 minutes to ensure she continued breathing, and lightly for another say 60 minutes after that.

Hope this helps somebody someday... feel free to insult me some more now truenamebrand, as I won't be checking this thread again.

I'm glad everything turned out well thank goodness, yeah taco is a standup fella.

Due to fentanyl having a short half life the length of the issue was short being 90 minutes in your case. If it was heroin or Morphine it would've been closer to six hours. I suggest you pick up a lot of narcan if the fentanyl use continues. I say a lot because fentanyl requires a substantially larger dose than heroin due to the high affinity for the receptors making it harder to knock off.

Also give the others a break for being brainless.... It is kind of strange to make the topic you did. Your partner could have easily died or have recovered with brain damage. They might have said what they said because if it were them they would have called for help long before posting without giving up the rescue breathing (cpr without chest compressions just breathing) until the paramedics came. They might have said it thinking of others who acted the same neglectful way, but was not as lucky as you and let the person oding die who might have been close to them so your situation may have hit close to home for them reminding them of someone they lost who likely did not have to die. So while you are right about them being wrong attacking you as they don't know your situation the same could be said about you towards them.

So again for the future get plenty of narcan as fentanyl requires at least twice the regular dose. Next time rescue breathing ASAP and don't stop until they are fully conscious not just lightly breathing in fact maybe buy a tool like the ambulance uses with an air pump like on a manual blood pressure measuring device connected to an air mask that covers the mouth and nose. Better yet don't use fentanyl! It's such a short acting yet overly potent oppress the compulsion to use and fine line of relief that separates active dose and overdose that it is just asking to overdose.

What kind of fent is being used? A pure form, patches, a pre-made mix, fake debt presses, or random fent cut dope bags? The only way to use is if it is pure and dissolved into a solution to be dosed based upon a mg/ug:ml ratio so that it is a perfect evenly mixed product unlike blotter or 1:10 fent:cut mg that both can and likely do contain hotspots of 1:1 or even 1:0 ratio of fent:cut. If you really care about your partner you'd convince them to be safer and use something less risky.

My gf put too much fentanyl up her nose and passed out in the bathroom. I got her up off the floor and onto the couch, but by that time her lips were turning blue. I got her breathing again with CPR-style breathing, and I've been holding here for an hour, poking and prodding her every time she stops breathing for more than 10 seconds. That's been happening about once a minute, maybe two minutes. How long will this last? Before she's stable and I can count on her to stay alive?

Obviously, immediate answers appreciated.

Hi mate,

Im glad shes okay and things have worked out.

Im sorry some answers here upset you. Threads about possible ods happen from time to time and its very hard to help as we are just posts on the internet.

I hope you procure some narcan for the future as its necessary to have emergency back up for fentanyl. A lot of bluelighters have died from using this drug so people get upset a lot about it.

Sorry, but unless you live in some place like Saudi Arabia, or one of those other Sunni Muslim theocracies, the paramedics are certainly not denying you service because you're "transgender." That's a lame excuse, and not calling 911 was still reckless, no matter what your excuse.

At any rate, glad your friend is okay. Imagine how you would have felt had that not been the case, and there you were taking to bluelight for help. Smh...

<3

A lot of people dont call an ambulance for fear that the person needing help and themselves will get arrested and/or treated like shit because they are drug users/ potentially worrying about nothing.

I dont know anything about transgender issues and being treated like shit by the emergency services or if this is based on previous experiences . You dont have much choice if it comes down to it though .

Fentanyl is too dangerous to be playing around with and not have narcan and/or sound cpr skills which you have. Luckily you were able to do that. If you had have joined in with her you could both be dead.

Last edited:
I second that. Fentanyl can be dangerous indeed also because it's not always that you know you are OD'ing, it's not always obvious. Sometimes you just go to sleep and don't wake up. Too strong, and the high is not even that great anyway.

Zephyr you don't do car, but rescue breathing, which is the same without chest compression. I imagine the reason being not only are compressions pointless, but detrimental pushing air out of the lungs