• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA wants to curb abuse of Imodium 'the poor man's methadone'

avcpl

Bluelighter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-poor-mans-methadone/?utm_term=.fc264d6f9a1c

The Food and Drug Administration is asking manufacturers of over-the-counter anti-diarrhea treatments to change the way they package their products to curb abuse by people with drug addictions.

Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in a statement Tuesday that the agency was taking the ?novel? action because of growing concerns that abuse of Imodium A-D and similar medications was adding to the death toll of the nation's opioid epidemic.

The products, readily available in supermarkets and drugstores, are safe when used at the recommended maximum daily dose of four 2-milligram tablets. But in large quantities, the agency warned, these products can cause dangerous, irregular heartbeats and other problems potentially resulting in death.

Loperamide, the generic name for the anti-diarrheal agent involved, is sometimes referred to as ?the poor man's methadone.? In large quantities, it induces a cheap, mild high and relieves withdrawal symptoms for drugs like hydrocodone, morphine or heroin. People with addiction problems increasingly are turning to loperamide, experts say, as prescription opioids become harder to obtain because of changes in legislation and regulation.

The FDA said it has asked manufacturers to refashion their packages to contain only enough medication for short-term use. A single package, for example, might contain eight 2-milligram capsules, enough for two days. The agency also wants makers to use ?unit dose packaging,? such as blister packs that must be individually unpeeled per dosage.

The treatments are sold under the brand name Imodium A-D, which is made by Johnson & Johnson, and as store brands and generics. In 2016, the FDA directed companies to change product labels to warn consumers against ingesting high doses.

Gottlieb said he also is asking online distributors, which sell loperamide in bulk, to take voluntary steps to address the problem. ?If you're selling a drug with the potential for abuse and misuse through an online website, you're no longer in the business of selling widgets or books,? he said. ?You have a social contract to take voluntary steps to help address public-health challenges.?

William Eggleston, a clinical assistant professor at Binghamton University's School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, said the FDA action was a ?good first step.?

But he said that getting online sellers to work on the problem is critical. ?Even if you limit the quantities available in any individual package, if you can buy a lot of packages online, that doesn't fix the issue that the drug is easily accessible,? Eggleston said.

If loperamide abuse continues to be a problem, Eggleston said, authorities should consider moving the drug behind the counter, which would require consumers to ask their pharmacists for it. That is what happened with products containing pseudoephedrine, which can be used to make methamphetamine. Congress passed a law more than a decade ago requiring that those be sold from behind the counter and imposing other restrictions.

Eggleston co-authored a 2017 report published online in the Annals of Emergency Medicine that described two men who died after ingesting large amounts of loperamide. One was a 24-year-old with a history of substance abuse. Found unresponsive at home, along with six empty boxes of loperamide, he appeared to have had a seizure. A police investigation indicated he had been using the drug to self-treat opioid withdrawal; authorities couldn't determine whether he died of an abnormal heart rhythm or breathing problems.

In the second case, a 39-year-old with a history of opioid addiction was reported to have suddenly gasped for breath and collapsed at home. Three years earlier, family members said, he had discontinued buprenorphine as part of his addiction treatment. A sudden gasping for breath is consistent with an irregular heartbeat, according to Eggleston's report.

Although the cause of death couldn't be definitively reached in either case, it added that ?postmortem toxicology suggest that loperamide likely precipitated both deaths.? Eggleston said Tuesday that there have been many more deaths in the past two years.

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced getting high on loperamide? I haven't.

Never heard of it either, have only ever seen it used to soothe withdrawals.

Yeah, it sounds a lot like a bullshit claim. Used because saying people use it to get high is a lot better politically then saying the existing system is so shit that people are only using it to try and get off drugs.

Politicians being politicians as usual.

Gotta keep all of us on methadone or subs, makes more money that way.

I think a doctor in Peru thought that's what I was doing (taking loperamide to get high) because he gave me a big, stern lecture about it . Turns out, I had so over-used it (lots of cross country bus rides with no bathrooms =D) as a "preventative" measure that I had inflamed my whole system. Now I can't even take the stuff once without getting horrible abdominal cramps. I've gotten a lot of humor mileage out of reenacting his lecture though. Now when I travel down there it's just me and Pepto Bismal.=D

I believe loperamide can get you high. I've never done it myself but I have just read too many experience reports of people who have - for it to be coincidence. They say it doesn't cross the BBB in high quantities. So a small amount does get though... and if you are taking 300 pills... that would add up.

Its a shame the gov wants to start regulating it. But wtf is putting it in blister packs gonna do other than slightly inconvenience the user... lol.

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced getting high on loperamide? I haven't.

I've heard stories of people using pepper to make blood brain barrier more permiable which they say gets them high with huge doses. But most people use it to stay out of full withdrawal in a pinch

Yup thats whose in charge of handling the opioid epidemic, ppl that think this is going to do anything. how is this the way things are? just how?

It’s not hard to get high from loperamide, but no one would consider it unless extremely desperate. There is something to be said for HR surrounding this as high doses of loperamide can be toxic, but for the love of god this prohibition response to any and every problem our society has with drug use is getting old.

Loperamide can be modified with nanoparticles to cross the BBB. It has gotten people high. It might also at extreme doses, but few realistic reports of that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22207601

I don't think that really qualifies as synthesis discussion considering it's not really MAKING anything, and it's a NIH link with basically no details...

You’re good Network. Loperamide definitely gets people high at large enough doses, but it is dangerous and a pretty shitty buzz with lots of side effects like dehydration. High doses of loperamide are really only useful in any sense for people with serious habits or folks on methadone or buprenorphine who can’t get enough of those meds (and even then, not a great idea).

Yeah it's more of the same government pushing people to more dangerous drugs to protect pharmaceutical companies.

Hello: My son is DEAD. He was a chronic pain patient. I think he may have been trying to use loperamide to ease withdrawal symptoms from Kratom. He had come off of fentanyl patches two years ago, and I now think he was struggling ever since. His Kratom use had gotten too much. I now believe Kratom is indeed addictive. He is DEAD. Do not use this drug under any circumstances. The blood work seems to indicate he took 40 pills: 200 ng/ml. I don't know yet what the metabolites number means (870 ng.ml) PLEASE! Do not use this AT ALL. Loperamide is a dangerous, dangerous, dangerous drug. It does not take hundreds of pills to kill you. He took only 40. For those complaining about restricting its sale. You are DEAD wrong. The sale of this dangerous drug must be regulated STAT. Go to someone you trust. Tell them you are in trouble. Seek help. Do NOT try to use this on your own to withdraw from another drug. Ask your family to help. Have someone stay with you 24/7 for however long it takes, even if years! Under no circumstances should you take this. Please listen. Please.

Hello: My son is DEAD. He was a chronic pain patient. I think he may have been trying to use loperamide to ease withdrawal symptoms from Kratom. He had come off of fentanyl patches two years ago, and I now think he was struggling ever since. His Kratom use had gotten too much. I now believe Kratom is indeed addictive. He is DEAD. Do not use this drug under any circumstances. The blood work seems to indicate he took 40 pills: 200 ng/ml. I don't know yet what the metabolites number means (870 ng.ml) PLEASE! Do not use this AT ALL. Loperamide is a dangerous, dangerous, dangerous drug. It does not take hundreds of pills to kill you. He took only 40. For those complaining about restricting its sale. You are DEAD wrong. The sale of this dangerous drug must be regulated STAT. Go to someone you trust. Tell them you are in trouble. Seek help. Do NOT try to use this on your own to withdraw from another drug. Ask your family to help. Have someone stay with you 24/7 for however long it takes, even if years! Under no circumstances should you take this. Please listen. Please.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I wholeheartedly, and respectfully, disagree with you but I still am sorry. Typically I don't believe these kinds of posts but for some reason I believe yours.

I just want to say that I feel your suggestions are condescending....I'm not offended and can totally sympathize with where you're coming from so this isn't an attack...I'm single and 31 years old. I don't know a single person who could stay with me one night let alone years. A lot of people are in similar situations (self-reliant with functional addictions) and if their substance (if legal) or even just bandaid (with loperamide) were to become illegal all of a sudden they'd run a huge risk of losing everything starting with their primary source of income.

I'm glad to see you have a strong social network that can and will help, I'm sorry your son didn't take advantage of that option, but most people don't know someone who can just stop everything and come running. Even still, that's not what most people are looking for when they're looking for something.

I really do wish you the best in regards to coping with your loss and again am very sorry to hear about your son. I just wanted to make a few small points. It's easy to blame everything when something out of our control happens that we don't like but that doesn't make it right.

I'm sorry for your loss, I honestly am. But I'm gonna be a bit less tolerant than the above poster, although I agree with them entirely.

There are many people who have lost their children because of bad drug policy, and many a bad policy has been born of emotional reactions that started with "my son or daughter died so people in power must do exactly what I say".

Yes, excessive loperamide can be dangerous. Excess of virtually any drug can be dangerous. That's not a good reason for regulation.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am, but I'd rather see your opinions disregarded than see other people's sons and daughters die because we based all our policy around the wishes of grieving parents.

Loperamide has helped lots of people ease withdrawal symptoms when they had little better alternative. Your sons death doesn't in itself provide good cause to regulate it further. There may in fact be good cause, but this isn't it.

Once more, I'm sorry for what happened to your son, and you. But I'm sure you'd agree, the primary goal has to be whatever will most effectively protect others. And I don't think that goal would be served by regulating loperamide. If nothing else, it's a distraction from far better policy options.

tylenol will kill you if you take 40x the standard dose. shall we ban that also?

so now because your son took a massive overdose of any over the counter drug, everyone else in history that has diarreah should suffer.

we had a BL'er pass away from loperamide and alcohol use.

I see someone else has already stated this.

Strictly speaking that doesn't actually say anything about if getting high on loperamide is possible, just that people have tried it.

Doesn't matter though, ive seen enough people say it now that I'm ready to believe it's plausible.

Heaps of people on BL over the years have reported abusing loperamide and experiencing opioid effects.
Fucking dangerous though - i would never attempt it.
However it's pretty fucking useful for WD - just not in stupid doses. IMO there is no need to ever exceed recommended dosages.

But yeah, i've read reports of BLers "mega-dosing" lope as a way of 'maintaining' opiate habits, then finding themselves having heart problems and collapsing, blacking out etc.
I don't have time right now (and there are so many threads on the subject) but i could probably trawl through and back that up with a link sometime later. It's definitely "a thing".
Whether it gets you "high" or not, i can't say, but i've certainly used it (in recommended dosages, mind you) to stave off mild WDs.
I think the danger is when people find they can take dangerous doses of the stuff, and it holds them out of withdrawal - but then they get addicted to the massive doses of lope, which is extremely dangerous.

I think it's pretty irresponsible to sell loperamide pills in the hundreds. For it's intended use, nobody should ever need that many - it's very potent and pretty darn effective for diarrhea.
It seems like the manufacturers are possibly exploiting the dangerous abuse of the stuff.
Obviously it's the consumer's responsibility too, but selling massive bottles of 100s of pills may give people the idea they can eat handfuls of them.