• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Favorite nootropics?

radikool

Greenlighter
I'm looking to try out some nootropics and am wondering what ya'll would suggest... and why?

There seems to be a lot of different ones out there and I'm not really sure to start!!

phenibut is the only one I have tried and I find it very nice, just don't use it on consecutive days no matter what the package recommends.

Phenibut isn't much of a nootropic... Its a GABA-B agonist and is decent for sleep and anxiety but is extremely addictive. I'd avoid it.

Noopept looks promising. I used to take piracetam daily and it helped a lot but I stopped taking it because it started to make my anxiety problems worse.

Phenibut is wonderful - simply wonderful. I've been taking 500mg-1g doses once per week for over 6 months now. It's my 'perfect day' drug.

I'd consider ashwagandha a nootrop, too. I know some might scoff at this, but try it - you'll see what I mean :)

I can tell you one you shouldn't bother with.. that's Alpha Brain.

1-2 caps a day (one bottle contains 30 capsules and costs about $35)

Though i assume you are only referring to the group of racemic nootropics i'll give you mine anyways: Amphetamine. Not necessarily efficient for long term cognitive enhancement but it does flood the neural synapses to get the job done.

PRL-8-53, Coluracetam and Phenylpiracetam. Also (Ar)modafinil if you count it as one.

They are extremely effective in comparison to most of the rest, in my experience. So many people try 1g of piracetam for a week, don't get high and bitch about "nootropics are bullshit". Well try those four and tell me that =D

They also all play very well with amphetamines, for super-productivity

I second avoiding heavy Phenibut use, it is very similar to a benzo. I'd try Afobazole instead for a nonsedating (but very potent) anxiolytic with (usually) no side effects.

No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why Phenibut even gets lumped in as a nootropic. Yes, it is sold by nootropic vendors and often discussed on message boards pertaining to nootropics, but I have never noticed any cognitive or motivational benefits from it and have used it fairly extensively in the past two years or so. I suppose if you are naturally anxious or restless, it can help you to focus by tuning out the noise, but at that point a lot of different drugs could be considered nootropic. As mentioned above, it is very addictive too, and in the amounts vendors sell it (30g is the lowest amount I've seen - incredibly cheap too), you could very easily be setting yourself up for some mean withdrawals if you're not careful.

Sorry for the rant...Anyway, I've tried quite a few nootropics, but my favorites would have to be Noopept, Phenylpiracetam, L-theanine and Adrafinil. I'll be trying Coluracetam and PRL-8-53 soon; what benefits have you noticed from those two, tweex?

No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why Phenibut even gets lumped in as a nootropic. Yes, it is sold by nootropic vendors and often discussed on message boards pertaining to nootropics, but I have never noticed any cognitive or motivational benefits from it and have used it fairly extensively in the past two years or so. I suppose if you are naturally anxious or restless, it can help you to focus by tuning out the noise, but at that point a lot of different drugs could be considered nootropic. As mentioned above, it is very addictive too, and in the amounts vendors sell it (30g is the lowest amount I've seen - incredibly cheap too), you could very easily be setting yourself up for some mean withdrawals if you're not careful.

Sorry for the rant...Anyway, I've tried quite a few nootropics, but my favorites would have to be Noopept, Phenylpiracetam, L-theanine and Adrafinil. I'll be trying Coluracetam and PRL-8-53 soon; what benefits have you noticed from those two, tweex?

I agree with you here. It's such a grey-area drug.

^ agreed also.
I've found noopept really useful and interesting, but IMO people use the term "nootropic" far too generally.
Amphetamine? Not a nootropic substance!

^ agreed also.
I've found noopept really useful and interesting, but IMO people use the term "nootropic" far too generally.
Amphetamine? Not a nootropic substance!

It's because the definition of a nootropic is very general.. "nootropics are drugs, supplements, nutraceuticals, and functional foods that purportedly improve mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration"

Could be almost anything. Do most of the real nootropics not cause withdrawal?

Coluracetam helping short term memory and concentration mostly, plus being an anxiolytic. PRL-8-53 having stimulant like properties, and inducing a sort of very long running flashbulb memory.

It's because the definition of a nootropic is very general.. "nootropics are drugs, supplements, nutraceuticals, and functional foods that purportedly improve mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration"

Could be almost anything. Do most of the real nootropics not cause withdrawal?
I always thought the definition included something about having neuroprotective properties?
I could be mistaken.

Hey mates,
i don't really know, but i have the impresion that there're some nootropics that can be used as opiods potentiators.
I'd be very glad, if someone can throw some light here..you see, being in pain almost constantly is...well, you know.
Thanx in advance, cheers to Bl family..%)

MartinFn

I second avoiding heavy Phenibut use, it is very similar to a benzo. I'd try Afobazole instead for a nonsedating (but very potent) anxiolytic with (usually) no side effects.
Tianeptine seems to be the new cool drug in the nootropics world to prevent stress.
But I didnt try it because Im a bit sick of trying out nootrpoics or durgs all the time.
I'd consider ashwagandha a nootrop, too. I know some might scoff at this, but try it - you'll see what I mean :)
I agree, in addiction to reducing stress temporarily it does something mildly racetam like where things seem to be a bit more crisp the next day or so. I guess its some kind of rebound but Im not sure.
It has many mechanisms that have a potentially nootropic effect.

Lots of info on the mechanism of action here:

http://examine.com/supplements/Ashwagandha/#summary5-1

Last edited:
No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why Phenibut even gets lumped in as a nootropic.

Agreed; phenibut should be sold, *with caution*, as an anti-anxiety / pro-social aid. I think it gets lumped in to a degree because some of the same people who seek out nootropics also experience social anxiety disorder to some degree. :) And it's one of the few that I think works well for that, maybe even better than the benzos it is similar to. The tolerance / addiction issues of course must be respected, that's the big downside to phenibut.

The compounds tweex mentioned sound interesting but, wow, many of these are rather new. Coluracetam is the most interesting to me at first glance, but also one going through supply problems right now.

No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why Phenibut even gets lumped in as a nootropic.
Because when you dont eat it with a spoon youre fine.
The russian pills used to be 250mg, the people on the internet forums eat 5g per day do you start to notice something?

Tianeptine seems to be the new cool drug in the nootropics world to prevent stress.
But I didnt try it because Im a bit sick of trying out nootrpoics or durgs all the time.

You're missing out. Add in selegiline and you'll be very sharp/functional but high as balls without neurotoxic effects. ;)

Because when you dont eat it with a spoon youre fine.
The russian pills used to be 250mg, the people on the internet forums eat 5g per day do you start to notice something?

Couldn't agree more with this.