favorite live performances

Factualist

Bluelighter
Either historical or ones you've actually seen, videos/samples would be great but not necessary, just kind of general discussion, here are a few of mine

Both of these I think are leaps and bounds above the studio versions, they play perfectly and you get a much rawer sound and energy

Really like this one because I thinks it's kind of a perfect blend of their sound and style they had as JD and the NO sound they were just starting to develop, really loose playing and overall amateurishness of it I think kind of adds to that, a band just figuring things out after almost falling apart

Actually saw this one, on 3 tabs of acid, their stage antics killed me. It was so surreal and so fucking funny at the same time, would do shit like this and crowd surf for entire songs, throw his instruments into the crowd, once in a life time reunion and they played as good as they ever have

It was really funny seeing the people there for bands like Jawbreaker, QOTSA, and Dinosaur Jr. just hanging around waiting for the headliners getting legitimately pissed about how bad they thought this band was, especially the bougie fucks in their balconies, fuck them honestly lol, what the fuck is the point of those things, you're not going to see fucking Othello, really recommend watching the other parts if you like this kind of music, its all on youtube

from Your top 5 concerts:

me said:
1. jeff buckley at the charles playhouse, boston, 1994

about a week before this show, i had a couple of friends visiting from the uk. they read in the phoenix (and bemoaned the fact) that jeff buckley was playing the day after they left. the told me i should go see him. a week later - i think it was a monday night - i was sitting in the house with my girlfriend and remembered what they had said. i called the theatre and they had two tickets left (it's a tiny place). i snagged them with my cc and we wandered up there.

the charles is a tiny theatre in boston - maybe room for 400. i had no idea who jeff buckley was. then he came on stage and started singing and you can imagine.

at one point, he broke a bunch of guitar strings and a roadies came on to take care of it between songs. he had them dim the house lights so there was only a white spotlight pointed directly on him then he sang the next number a capella. it was beautiful and magical. a couple of years later, he was dead.

2. underworld at the warfield, san francisco

probably my favourite live act ever. this was my second time seein them and the warfield was packed. i was pretty high on mdma and, as ever, they were firing on all cylinders. they went off and came back on and played an insane encore which included born slippy and cowgirl/rez. they went off again and everybody thought it was over but kept it up for a little while just in case. i figured they were done as there was no way they could top their encore. but then they came back on. they played moaner.

3. teenage fanclub at slims in san francisco

it's weird that i've seen my favourite band - teenage fanclub - live many times but only after i moved to the us. they played 2 nights at slims in san francisco and i went both nights. jangly pop wonder from the fannies two nights in a row - what more can you ask for?

4. the cult at the edinburgh playhouse

i was only about 18 and they were touring the 'electric' album so i got to hear all their spectacular metal-riff silliness like 'love removal machine' and 'l'il devil' live. i played guitar in a college band back then and, needless to say, billy duffy blew me away.

5. underworld and the chemical brothers at the bill graham civic auditorium

i bought the ticket to see underworld who were supporting the chemical brothers. i didn't really know the chemical brothers that well at the time and, to me, the bill was upside down.

the chemical brothers showed me, that night, why they were top of the bill.

there's a nice postscript to #3.

in august 2018, i was in the uk for my dad's 80th birthday. on that trip i learned that gerry love was leaving teenage fanclub after 30 years. at the time it was not clear if they'd go on without him. anyhoo, they announced a couple of gigs at the electric ballroom in camden in november - both shows sold out. after i got back from that august trip, a friend called me and said she found me a ticket for the show on 14th november (which is, coincidentally, my birthday) so i bought a plane ticket!

i went to london for 2 days to see my favourite band in the world play what could just have been their last show ever on my birthday :) it was absolutely magical. after that show, they announced they decided to go on without gerry and that they'd be touring the u.s. in february 2019. i saw them at the fillmore then too :)

one last thing to mention. i've been a big fan of the waterboys for ever - maybe 30 years. in may 2015, i finally managed to see them live at the ace of spades in sacramento, ca (a great venue if you ever get the chance). it wasn't super busy that night but they played an absolute blinder. and, by way of a bonus, i managed to snag the set list:

complete with the piece of black gaffer tape used to stick it to the floor :)

oh, one last one - how could i forget. on monday april 17th, 2017 i saw radiohead at my favourite music venue in the world - the greek theatre in berkeley, ca.

simply put, the best live show i've ever seen.

it's a shitty picture but man what a show.

alasdair

God damn, what a solo, on "I can't wait much longer" XD... awesome.

One Word.....TOOL!!!!!!!!
My favourite vocalist and drummer and guitarist and bassist of all time at their peak. Just incredible. ???

1) Tool
2) Cat Stevens
3) Hole
4) Stone Temple Pilots *Front row*
5) The Rolling Stones

I've been to over 50 concerts, including music festival performances. Those are my top 5..
Though it was pretty cool seeing Marilyn Manson being hit in the head with a bottle thrown from the crowd in '99.. 😆

Oh! Jane's Addiction. Forgot about the lovely Perry. 💜

Queens of the Stone Age were always excellent!

Linkin Park were great because Chester Bennington's voice was amazing live. It sounded exactly like the albums. RIP

Metallica were fantastic, plenty of headbanging and hot girls showing their b00bs.

Tool and A Perfect Circle both kicked ass. Love Maynard!

Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails will always be one of my favorites. RIP Chris.

Oh yeah, Ozzfest was fucking awesome with Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Adema, Drowning Pool (the singer died a week later) and Black Label Society.
When Zakk Wylde was playing guitar with Ozzy and swinging that gorgeous hair around, I got so turned on, I literally came hard. Couldn't help it. He is a mountain I'd love to climb.

6759EDFD-B605-4247-80B1-69EC588155EA.jpeg

if i had discovered this when i was a teenager obsessed with manson, i'd be super happy :love:
now i'm pretty delighted 😊