Father Disturbed by 7-Year-Old Daughter's Medical Marijuana Use

SFGate

D7LTBURKICTD0KOJ-rszw514

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A 7-year-old girl suffering from leukemia is one of Oregon's youngest medical marijuana patients.

Her mother says she gives her daughter marijuana pills to combat the effects of chemotherapy, but her father, who lives in North Dakota, worries about the effects of the drug on her brain development.

Mykayla Comstock was diagnosed with leukemia last spring. Her mother treats her with a gram of cannabis oil daily, The Oregonian reported (http://bit.ly/TcqSqW ).

Mykayla's mother credits the drug for the leukemia's remission. "As a mother, I am going to try anything before she can potentially fall on the other side," said Erin Purchase, 25, who with her boyfriend administers Mykayla's cannabis.
The girl says the drug helps her eat and sleep but also makes her feel "funny."

"It helps me eat and sleep," Mykayla said. "The chemotherapy makes you feel like you want to stay up all night long."

Mykayla's father, who is divorced from the girl's mother, was so disturbed by his daughter's marijuana use that he contacted child welfare officials, police and her oncologist. The father, Jesse Comstock, said his concerns were prompted by a visit with Mykayla in August.

"She was stoned out of her mind," said Comstock, 26. "All she wanted to do was lay on the bed and play video games."

Comstock, who works in the North Dakota oil field, pays child support to Purchase and covers Mykayla's health insurance. He said he observed strange behavior during an August visit and took Mykayla to a private lab, where technicians detected THC levels of an adult daily marijuana user.

Gladstone police contacted the girl's mother, examined Mykayla's medical marijuana paperwork, then told Comstock there was little they could do.

Comstock, who used pot in the past, said he doesn't object to people over 16 using medical marijuana. But he worries about his daughter's well-being and the potential for addiction.

"She's not terminally ill," Comstock said. "She is going to get over this, and with all this pot, they are going to hinder her brain growth.

"It's going to limit her options in life because of the decisions her mother has made for her," he added.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/ar...ana-to-combat-chemo-4063637.php#ixzz2DM9tv6CI

If someone has cancer and is undergoing chemo, I'd say a little marijuana is the least of their worries.

I just wanted to say that I run a small canabis candy business, and supply to most of my local dispensaries. Reciently one of the dispensary owners mentioned to me that our youngest using patient was only but the age of 8. A small child also suffering the ailments from cancer. I personally think that this is wonderful! As a mother I would way rather have my child taking something natural for pain, rather than an opiate. I would like to see the fathers reaction to a narcotic if you think on canabis she seemed " stoned out of her mind " so to speak.
Good for you momma!

Yeah if this was my kid I would be doing the same even if I wasn't for marijuana. It is better than being doped up on opiates like GlassGurl said..... a lot better by far. The father needs to get over it and just be happy that his daughter is getting better.

Busty St Clare;11082923 said:
Would you still be happy if they were given opium?

I know this isn't directed at me but I know I wouldn't be happy but there comes a time where you need to put personal opinions aside. If my kid is in dire need then I will do whatever it has to take to get them better even if its only to feel better. Of course I would be asking if something besides opium could be used first but if that's all there was then I would allow the doctors to give it to my child.

Busty St Clare;11082923 said:
Would you still be happy if they were given opium?

Well, narcotics like that would only treat the pain... while cannabis has been proven to actually fight cancer, as well as greatly increasing the quality of the child's few remaining years. So while I would not be opposed to giving a child who needs it pain medicines, I would be much happier and feel better about a child using cannabis instead.

^ yes
Same here.

The title of the article is really inane.
The father should be worried about his child having cancer, but he is worried about the natural, gentle medicine that the kid is taking instead?

Yeah probably.

Mykayla's father, who is divorced from the girl's mother, was so disturbed by his daughter's marijuana use that he contacted child welfare officials, police and her oncologist. The father, Jesse Comstock, said his concerns were prompted by a visit with Mykayla in August.

"She was stoned out of her mind," said Comstock, 26. "All she wanted to do was lay on the bed and play video games."

She is 7 yrs old, has leukemia and the dad is worried about her playing video games and using cannabis as a medicine?

While marijuana will have worse side effects on a young mind than an older one the benifits far outweigh the risks for a small child with cancer and is allot better than more harmful medications like opiates. I saw a video of this 2 year old with a serious brain tumor that was prescribed edibles and he looked so full of life.

I'd prefer to use opium over cannabis for pain. What's with all the love for the natural pot plant, but the poppy plant is the devil? I find people, generally speaking, to be contradictory animals and extremely difficult to understand. I'm glad you brought up that point Busty.

If the doctors were shoving prescription drugs down her throat, which is probably worse than marijuana, noone would be complaining.

opi8;11084206 said:
I'd prefer to use opium over cannabis for pain. What's with all the love for the natural pot plant, but the poppy plant is the devil? I find people, generally speaking, to be contradictory animals and extremely difficult to understand. I'm glad you brought up that point Busty.

Cannabis does more for cancer patients than just kill pain..

Increases appetite, mood and.. oh yeah.. fights cancer.

I know the concerns about young people doing cannabis but chemo also has side affects that would affect the child's developing brain and body, so at this point I don't think it really matters. At least the cannabis has regenerative powers.

Look I've sold my soul to the devil, and would never wish that upon my kids. I love opium opiates just as much as the next person.... ( ok maybe a lil more ) So no, I'd have to say I probably wouldn't be happy. Unless absolutely necessary :)

opi8;11084206 said:

The thing is though, cannabis actually DIRECTLY fights cancer. Opioids may make the pain more managable, and I have NO problem with a child being comfortable... but in this case, high concentrate edibles are obviously the best option as it's nearly the only thing that may actually shrink the tumor.

I believe the treatment for cancer patients is something like 1-2 grams of pure edible hash oil taken by mouth everyday for 2 months. Imagine how fucking stoned this kid must be..

This isnt good. I was waiting for a story like this to break into the national news. They atre going to use the "Oh god think of the children" argument against medical marijuana