• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Eye twitching (Blepharospasm?) - Drug induced? What to do?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
About 2 weeks ago, I started to experience some mild twitching in the muscles around my left eye. It's only the muscles below my eye that's affected, not the ones above it and it's only my left eye that is acting wierd, the right one is doing just fine.

These spasms, comes and goes through out the day. Though they are mild, they are still getting annoying. Most of all, I fear that it will get worse and turn chronic.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what might have caused this. I've been taking some drugs that is known to cause this but I just don't think that my kind of use would be enough to cause something like this?

I've been a regular user of Benzodiazepines, Z-drugs and Etizolam for 4 years or so but I've never taken them daily, my longest binge was 3 days, with small dosages at night time. At the peak of my use (which lasted only a few months), I did Etizolam maybe 2-3 times a week with dosages being 2-3 mg. Most of the time though, I used like 6-9 times a month, with dosages being significantly lower. I've never experienced any sign of physical dependence, no rebound anxiety although I suffer from social anxiety. Worst rebound symptom has been insomnia, which I believe had much more to do with me getting to sleep way too late and thus, getting up very late to - that would make it hard to sleep at your prefered time the next day, drugs or no drugs.
I haven't used any GABAergics in the past 25 days, so the eye twitching started 10ish days after my last dosage.
If this was a withdrawal symptom, shouldn't it have started much before that? Also, isn't it highly unlikely that this would be the only withdrawal symptom experienced? I'm already prone to depression, anxiety and insomnia but none of these have gotten any worse since my last dose. No GI symptoms either.

I also use Dexamphetamine, quite often, which I suppose could be the reason behind this. I've been using this drug for 2 years with no breaks longer than a week but with a lot of off days here and there (on average, I would do it 20 days a month). Lately though, I've been using it more like 25 days out of the month due to external circumstances. My dosages are pretty low though, 1-2 dosages a day, a maximum of 20 mg a day (which almost never happens) and no more than 12,5 mg in one go (which I almost never do). My most used dosage is 5+7,5 and 7,5+7,5 and 10 mg without a redose.

A significant usage of course but would it be enough to trigger these kinds of symptoms?

I'm also considering the possibility that this is stress related. The wierd thing though, is that these symptoms first appeared a week or so after a very stressful period of my life.

I don't think it's related but I feel like I should probably mention that I started taking N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) a month ago (3x500 mg a day) and Alpha-Lipoic-Acid on the days of using Dexamp above 10 mg (overkill, I know).

It should be noted that these spasms can be triggered if I close my eyelids together hard and hold them closed for a few seconds. When opening, the spasms will immediately come back, without fail.

Any thoughs?

My first bet was on stims but those are such low does of dex I'm not sure it would cross into psycosomatic like tremors.

I got blepharospasms from etizolam. Seems somewhat common with benzos and the like.

^ yeah and Etizolam in particular is pretty know for causing this. Every single case I've read about is caused by a much more servere usage than my own though. Would you care to elaborate? How much did you use, how often and for how long? Did the spasms become chronic or did it pass after some time without Etizolam? (If you actually did quit that is)

Prolly not drug related at all. If I get stressed or don't sleep enough I get these damn eye twitches all the time.

^ yeah and Etizolam in particular is pretty know for causing this. Every single case I've read about is caused by a much more servere usage than my own though. Would you care to elaborate? How much did you use, how often and for how long? Did the spasms become chronic or did it pass after some time without Etizolam? (If you actually did quit that is)

I used quite a lot for a short time.
It was a few years ago, and it passed. But i don't know how much i took in how long because i...well, i forgot for some reason.
If i were you i would cut my benzo use, eat healthy, sleep as much as you can, and hopefully yours will clear up too.
Personally i found the experience quite scary - but like i say, it got better.

Wishing you all the best!