• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Extreme dehydration from Cocaine ?

Whyman

Greenlighter
Hello, I'm a long time reader of BL (despite not having ingested a drug for 6 years sans-alcohol/tobacco!)

When I was in my teens/early twenties I experimented with cannabis/cocaine/LSD/Ecstacy with friends.

There was one particular experience which frightens me in retrospect as I think I could of genuinely endangered my life:

One night me and my usual array of friends had picked up a few grams of cocaine which felt fairly strong, we did a few lines at a friends house we'd congregated at then headed off on foot to a nearby pub where we drank for a couple of hours, probably consuming around 4 pints of lager each then headed back and continued to snort cocaine and smoke weed.

In total at this point I'd probably consumed 1/4th of a gram of coke, 4 pints of 5% lager and smoked a joint in a period of 4 hours.

Suddenly I felt extremely dehydrated so I grabbed a can of sprite from the fridge and quickly drank it, my thirst wasn't quenched at all so I repeated, after 4 cans of sprite and a fair amount of burping I decided to try pints of water, I drank several and my thirst was still completely unquenched.

A friend shouted for me upstairs so I left the kitchen, I declined any more cocaine but continued to smoke, for the next couple of hours I periodically went downstairs to drink pints of water (I felt oddly embarrassed so I didn't mention it to my friends) eventually everyone had passed out and I too fell asleep, still extremely thirsty but woke up the next day hydrated.

The thing that scares me is that if I had lived nearby or everyone had left, I would of basically drank water till I died of overhydration?

What are your thoughts?, why wasn't I able to quench my thirst despite massive quantities of water?

Well, you wanna go into a cocaine session fully hydrated first of all. Another idea is that maybe you got something with an RC stimulant in it, which can seem very similar to cocaine but often have much worse side effects. Also, drinking sprite isn't really the best thing to do when you're dehydrated, always go straight to water. The sugar and sodium in soda can dehydrate you even more, and you drank 4 cans of it. Also beer and cannabis are going to make you dehydrated.

It sounds like your case was a little more extreme than average, but when i am taking alcohol, cocaine, and cannabis in one night i can guarantee you that I will generally be quite dehydrated... dehydrated, indeed.

if you're in the uk the chances of getting an rc in your coke are pretty damn high. that may be it. when I do 2 g's of coke i.v. over night by the morning I'm dehydrated as hell to the point of my mouth being like sandpaper, so it's a common side effect with coke to some extend. however the dose you did shouldn't really cause too much dehydration, and you drinking tons of water isnt characteristic of cocaine. the reason why I get so dehydrated is because even if I have a full glass of apple cider (my favorite beverage) nearby I have to force myself to drink it. with stims I lose interest entirely in drinking things.

so I guess what I'm trying to say is your gear might have been wack (well it probably was tbh) and we don't know what caused it but in the future you should try testing your coke or avoiding that particular batch at the least, or maybe avoiding coke all together. you are right in thinking you could have died, it's used as propaganda by the government but a teen girl did drink herself to death (water not alcohol) on mdma once. your cells become saturated with water and you die. it's more complicated than that but I'll leave that to the experts. it's called water intoxication, you can look it up. your goal when hydrating should be to reach a safe level of hydration not to quench your thirst, because drugs can distort your sense of thirst. to test if your hydrated take a piss and if it's clear your good to go, no need to drink any more. if it's yellow have a pint or 2 more.

be safe, don't die from water intoxication, that's a pretty embarassing way to go.

I am so baffled about where this notion that soda (of ANY KIND!) is hydrating!!! It blows my mind and I believe it to be one of the most damaging and misleading myths in our country about health and body function and hydration. There may be water in soda which is what is actually going to replenish your reserves and hydrate your body, but you have to filter out all of that other junk in it too first. Sugar dehydrates, caffeine etc... It's possible that you are actually dehydrating yourself to a greater degree by drinking a soda than if you just didn't drink anything. How about a glass of water which is what your body is actually asking for.

Alcohol is very dehydrating and this is well-known.

Cocaine and stimulants in general are known to cause dehydration.

For example when I drink coffee I need to pee soon after. Caffeine is diuretic and it's a stimulant. Stimulants also raise your temperature so you sweat and lose water.

If you ever decide to do coke again don't do it with alcohol. It becomes cocaethylene in the body, and it's more toxic than both drugs on their own. It's been linked to sudden death etc.

Oh I forgot that the best way to rehydrate is to drink water. Fizzy drinks (sodas for Americans) contain caffeine usually and caffeine is diuretic.

I find coke very dehydrating, like most stims. Alcohol & soda are both dehydrating too. You need to drink 1-2 glasses of water for every glass of cider or sprite, just to counter those effects. Then probably an extra 1-2 glasses of water per hour to counteract the coke. 1 glass = 8 oz.

Cocaine is already toxic so I think drinking alcohol, in moderation & with plenty of water, is okay occasionally. But yes, cocaethylene IS more toxic. I know many who find it worth the effects, myself included, though I've only combined them a few times on special occasions.

Last edited:
I am so baffled about where this notion that soda (of ANY KIND!) is hydrating!!! It blows my mind and I believe it to be one of the most damaging and misleading myths in our country about health and body function and hydration. There may be water in soda which is what is actually going to replenish your reserves and hydrate your body, but you have to filter out all of that other junk in it too first. Sugar dehydrates, caffeine etc... It's possible that you are actually dehydrating yourself to a greater degree by drinking a soda than if you just didn't drink anything. How about a glass of water which is what your body is actually asking for.

Absolutely, it IS actually dehydrating. Though Sprite doesn't contain caffeine - most soda doesn't, especially outside the US. Caffeine makes it more so but the sugar alone is dehydrating. Not sure about diet drinks but most contain aspartame which is nasty stuff.

I am so baffled about where this notion that soda (of ANY KIND!) is hydrating!!! Sugar dehydrates, caffeine etc... It's possible that you are actually dehydrating yourself to a greater degree by drinking a soda than if you just didn't drink anything.

Common Myth: Does Soda Actually Dehydrate you?

*Unlike carbonation, high sugar content does slow hydration. Your body needs more time to process these sugars, and therefore devotes some water away from other places in your body to break down the sugar.
That being said, the effect is rather minimal.
Take a look at Gatorade for instance. It prides itself as being one of the best ways to hydrate, as well as add electrolytes back into your body.There is no sugar in diet sodas, only chemical sweeteners which have been shown to have no effect on hydration (showed through studies of low-calorie and zero-calorie flavored water).

*For years, experts were saying that caffeine acted as a diuretic in the body, causing you to urinate more fluid and therefore become less hydrated. However, real world studies have shown that caffeine has only a mild diuretic effect, similar to that of just plain water.

*But logically, it is obvious that soda wouldn’t dehydrate you. For a fluid to dehydrate you, it would have to remove more from you then you add by actually drinking the fluid. So let’s look at diet coke for example. It has 45 mg of caffeine in it per 12 ounces. For diet coke to have a dehydrating effect, 45 mg of caffeine would have to remove more than 12 ounces of water from your body. This is obviously incorrect. To show this, let’s look at a 12 ounce Starbucks coffee, which contains 260 mg of caffeine, or about 6 times as much as a same size diet coke.

If the amount of caffeine in a diet coke was capable of dehydrating you, imagine what the coffee would do to you. If this were true, then you would lose 60 ounces of water per cup of coffee. That means for every two coffees you drink, the caffeine would remove a gallon of water from your body. even people that consume 10 cups of coffee don't urinate 5 gallons of water.
https://controversialstand.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/hello-world/
-----

Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha measured how different combinations of water, coffee and caffeinated sodas affected the hydration status of 18 healthy adults who drink caffeinated beverages routinely.

“We found no significant differences at all,” says nutritionist Ann Grandjean, the study’s lead author. “The purpose of the study was to find out if caffeine is dehydrating in healthy people who are drinking normal amounts of it. It is not.”

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol — and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration, doctors say.

IMO the Polydipsia or even dehydration for that matter has nothing to do with soda. The suggestion of RC's in the coke on top of four pints could possibly be a causative factor or maybe influenced/ exacerbated an existing condition.

The continued consumption of fluids to the point of water toxemia without the distraction from others probably wasn't likely, but the problem with speculation 6 years after the original post is that the OP is usually long gone. Without any further input from the OP there is nothing to influence the speculation, narrow down the cause or discuss the resolution. It's usually best to ask a question of the same topic with an older thread such as this one.

Regardless, Welcome to BL commonknowledgez :)