• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extreme codeine itchiness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonSwanson

Greenlighter
Hello,

I take 180mg a day of codeine phosphate from my tylenol 4's. However, recently I have begun getting extremely itchy from this. Also, I don't really get enough relief/ all day relief from the codeine for my pain.

I have been prescribed hydrocodone, oxycodone, and dilaudid in the past and I don't ever remember the itchiness from those?

Why is it possible that codeine makes me very itchy to the point of small hives but hydro/oxy/dilaudid does not?

I would like my PM to switch me to something that doesn't make me itchy (preferably oxy/dialudid) but I don't want to come across as drug seeking?

Also, i'm afraid if i tell him the codeine makes me very itchy that he will avoid all narcotics (because he will say they all will make me itchy) and will switch me back to stupid tramadol and butrans patch..... What do you guys think, how should i play this?

Codeine releases a lot of histamine, this'll most likely cause the itchiness. You could try taking an antihistamine, like diphenhydramine, promethazine or hydroxyzine

Dipenhydramine works great for me and also adds more sedation to your turn.

Codeine releases a lot of histamine, this'll most likely cause the itchiness. You could try taking an antihistamine, like diphenhydramine, promethazine or hydroxyzine
This.

Codeine and morphine are notorious for their histaminergic releases. A antihistamine will obv' relieve your symptoms, however most antihistamines are opiate potentiators, and they will increase the drugs effects. I would suggest decreasing your dose at least 25%, when taking dph. But the itch goes away with tolerance.. Most decade long opiate users would kill to feel that itch, so enjoy it!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, I have been using the benadryl and other anti histamines. They don't work. I also get pretty extreme itchiness when I'm taking only even 60mg. I think its more than an itch, almost a type of allergic reaction to specifically codeine because I didn't get that when I was taking vicodin, oxycodone, or dialudid.

Also, nobody really answered my questions. I asked several questions in this and everyone just said use benadryl, but thats not my question.

It sounds like you're allergic to them. If you explain that to your doctor they will most likely would switch you to hydrocodone or oxycodone. Also telling them that you're getting no relief wouldn't hurt.

Promethazine/phenergan or some hydroxyzine/atarax would work fine to overcome itchy sensations. I find Promethazine the best for me when doing codeine, plus I notice that promethazine makes duration of effects much longer than codeine alone! Try some 25-50 mg phenergan or more (unless u are not sensitive to this particular medication).

the few times I've taken recreational amounts of codeine the Itchiness was unbearable, actually painful. There were no antihistamines in the house aside from Benadryl pills and Benadryl spray and the pills weren't kicking in fast enough so I started spraying my whole body with the sprayer. PSA: don't ever spray Benadryl on your testicles, let's just say it doesn't help the itching.

Codeine is just not worth it if you are a person who gets severe histamine release from it.

Diphenhydramine (benadryl) reduces CYP2D6 enzymes and interferes with the Codeine to Morphine conversion. Promethazine & Hydroxine are better suited for Codeine aside from the holy grail that is Glutethemide. Hydro/Oxy-morphone/codone are not prodrugs to the extent that Codeine is and have a better trade off of effect to histamine release.

Status
Not open for further replies.