• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Extreme Benzo/Alcohol issue HELP!

twatnopjkarna

Bluelighter
I am currently taking 6mg of alprazolam about 2x a day and 450-600mg of librium throughout the day. I feel no effects really without the addition of alcohol which is a problem. (So, without it being said out right, I am an alcoholic and rx abuser). My question is I got the librium for alcohol withdrawal and was already RX'd 8mg of alprazolam a day. How serious is my tolerance and how serious is my withdrawal going to be? Im down to 45 2mg alprazolam and like 20 25mg librium so I am trying to cut down on my benzo intake by consuming vodka binge style. The funny thing is, I have a decent car, I own my house, I make good money doing logistical coordination, and luckily my g/f has been touring Europe with her family. This intake has only increased to this rate over the last 5 weeks. She is on a 7 week vaca. I need advise and a realistic view of how this is going to have to work out. I work m-f 8-5 and am not sure I can enter inpatient to detox. Help!

You need to seek medical help. You will suffer severe possibly life threatening withdrawal upon abrupt cessation of the GABAergics you are consuming. Come clean,tell your doctor everything,you should be switched to a maintenance dose of Clonazepam, or Diazepam and tapered. You should also ask for baclofen for the GABAb activation like alcohol produces perhaps.

You should be able to do this outpatient probably,offer to do daily dispensing, as in you go to the pharmacy everyday to pick up the days worth of medication.you could also go in 3 days a week maybe,Mon, Wed, Fri, type deal.

Is your goal to get off totally?or are you gonna kick the booze and bring ur benzo tolerance down

Edit:I just reread do not try and cut ur benzo use with a vodka binge.I would follow my above advice still though, just alter it to lower your tolerance rather then quit altogether if you are not ready.just ask to switch to clonazepam for a while it is equipotent to xanax in my experience but prevents withdrawal much longer,this will allow you to reduce your dose slowly without your body really noticing due to its long half life

Last edited:
if you are physically dependent on alcohol, xana or llbrium or all of the above under any circumstances DO NOT try an quit cold turkey yes even alcohol can cause withdrawals and can cause seizures or DT's
you need to get some professional help

From your post it seems as if you are extremely dependent on benzos (which can be fatal upon withdrawal) and dependent on alcohol (which can also be fatal upon withdrawal) this is a major problem as you already know.

get to a hospital ASAP and explain to them what you have posted here.

I would recommend a benzo with a longer half life to slowly taper off of your benzo use....valium and ativan are ideal.

as for the alcohol withdrawal, benzos can help with that as well.....

im no doctor however ive been through both alcohol and xanax withdrawal.....and dying from grand mal seizures are common and extremely scary

like you metioned you have alot to lose due to your addiction. seek medical help immediately.

I sympathize with you mate. I didn't even know benzos were addictive until one and a half months of taking them everyday with a stupid tolerance (extremely naive I know). I was consuming on average about 80mg diazepam a day towards the end. I've never been so scared my whole entire life when I found out they were addicive with life threatening withdrawals. Went to my GP the following morning and she was very sympathetic and weened me off them quite fast, I made it quite clear I wanted to be off them as quickly as possible, the only side affects I noticed was a bit of anxiety and trouble sleeping, but it was nothing compared to what I had pictured!

Try not too stress too much. Explain everything to your GP as soon as possible and you'll be looked after. Keep a strong head and you'll be fine, reading self enlightenment books are a fantastic way of putitng your mind at ease and providing clarity if you happen to get stressed. Also try convince your GP to prescribe you some zopiclone for the first couple of weeks, just try make them last and only use them when you have to as they come in handy!

That's a high dose of benzos, man. Could be deadly to quit one or all those substances abruptly. Don't attempt it without medical supervision. You'll likely have a seizure or worse. Alcohol and benzos individually can cause fatal withdrawals. Together, the risk is even higher. Short-acting benzos like alpraz are even MORE likely to cause w/d complications than longer-acting ones. You're in a precarious situation right now.

Check out the Ashton Manual before attempting a taper. Good luck.