• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Extraction Solvents

Norse Shaman

Bluelighter
When using solvents for extractions, can isopropyl alcohol be used the same as ethanol? Also, what are the differences from these and naptha or denatured spirits and methanol?

Mods - I wasn't sure where this was best posted. If you wish to move to another section please feel free and accept my apologies.

Isopropyl will work like ethanol or methanol but there are some differences. Naptha unlike alcohols is not miscible with water and will separate into two "layers" like ether, toluene or other non-polar solvents when added to water or polar solvents. We would need some more specifics to better answer your question, but for example freebase cocaine will dissolve in non-polar solvents like ether but not water, while cocaine hydrochloride or other salt, will not dissolve in ether but will in water. Acidifying your ether saturated with freebase will "pull" it across into the water layer after converting it into a salt. This is very basic but I hope it helps.

Isopropanol will dissolve anything ethanol will and is miscible in water (as is ethanol). I guess saying what you want to extract would be considered a synthesis question but get a copy of the Merck Chem. Index, it tells you all you need to know about the different solubility of pretty much any chemical, organic or synthetic, and that includes most drugs, even lesser known opiates like dihydrocodeine and ethylmorphine.

^ Actually I think taking things apart,like extraction is ok, it's putting things together, like synthesis that is not allowed. Just a thought.

^ Are you talking about what is allowed for discussion on the site, or just you own code of ethics?

And I've been wanting to get a copy of the Merck index as well as other literature.

It depends on what you're trying to extract, isopropanol is less polar than ethanol but is still considered a polar protic solvent like water, methanol, and ethanol. Polar aprotic solvents would be like DMSO, chloroform, dichloromethane, DMF. Nonpolar is stuff like naptha, pentane/hexane/heptane/(iso)octane etc, silicone oil, benzene/toluene/xylene.

I think isopropanol might be more soluble in naptha than ethanol would be.

I think I've figured it out, I just wanted a little clarification. To be specific, it was in reference to an A/B extraction of LSA using naptha as the non-polar and ISP as the polar. I now know that ethanol would be a better solvent for extraction than ISP. I also live in Louisiana so buying Everclear (a 180 proof 95% ABV grain alcohol) is not hard to obtain.

^ Actually I think taking things apart,like extraction is ok, it's putting things together, like synthesis that is not allowed. Just a thought.

^ Are you talking about what is allowed for discussion on the site, or just you own code of ethics?

No I wouldn't preach my own code of ethics, at least not in this subforum. I was trying to clarify what the poster above me stated about extractions being off limits to discuss. This is what the rules say:

3) NO DISCUSSIONS OF SYNTHESIS
Legal or illegal or any steps involved. There are other message boards who are willing to risk the liabilities of such synthesis discussion, but we aren't one of them. However instructional guides based on purification and extraction processes are permitted though will be monitored closely.

Hope everything works out with the everclear.