• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Extracting of Codeine from Acetaminophen aka Paracetamol aka APAP, Ibuprofen aka IBP, Acetylsalicylic acid aka ASA aka Aspirin - The Sciencey view

600mg of caffeine wouldn't/shouldn't hurt you.
That's 7.5 cans of Red Bull or three extra strength caffeine pills. Most people would not call it pleasant. It would absolutely be enough to ruin your codeine nod.
Most people start getting pretty freaked out and jittery at 300mg if caffeine or more.

could you supply a link to that study please?
There's no study, that's just a nice average of several other studies I use as a rule of thumb.

do you have a link to the article this table comes from please?
I actually made that table years back, the information is in mg/mL solubilities, data was from Martindales' Pharamcopiea if I remember right. it is an early version of the final process I settled on for codeine extraction,posted in this thread here (Jesus, time flies, that was 8 years ago...)

The objective is to take Tylenol 1 pills annd eventualy end uo with codeine in an isolated, pure form so i can do, um, stuff with it. Secret stuff.
I'd do this in large scale runs, and thanks to my easy access to some nice reagents, glassware and equipment it was not too hard to do.
So, let's say we work on a 1000 pill scale for sake of example. Boil ~1.5 liters of water in a kettle, prepare a vessel of 2 liters and a means to stir it. Add the pills, then add sufficient hot, freshlky boiled water (maybe 1L) to bring the total volume to 1750mL or so.. Stir the mixture until there are no clumps and the liquid is as homogenous as it will get. Then, set up a Buchner filter funnel, and (this is key) pack it with a generous helping of Celite filter aid (diatomaceous earth). I would add a portion of Celite to the stirring Tylenol mixtutre and stir it in too. This prevents the pill binders from clogging everything out as a slime. Slowly, filter the whole mix through the Buchner, then rinse the filter cake with a few portions of hot just-boiled water You should have about 1200 to 1500mL of liquid now, which I noted may turn either peach-colored or purply-blue (which I could not explain but didn't eem to be indicative of anything bad).

At this stage you have your flask that should, with any luck, already have visible amounts of acetaminophen precipitating out. It can be moved to the freezer or otherwise chilled to just above freezing, keeping it at that temperature and stirring it to promote full precipitation. After it has remained at the same temperature close to 0C for, say, an hour or so, you can set up a second vacuum Buchner filter funnel, this time without celite, and filter the liquid through. There is an impressve amount of acetaminophen that preciptates out, it's quire pure, but usually I throw it out because I have no use for hundreds of grams of APAP.

So now you have the codeine and caffeine remaining. You have two approaches depending on solvent choice. You can use chloroform/dichloromethane, or you can use diethyl ether. I preferred to use diethyl ether in the final process because it would extract the codeine base selectively.(The chloroform procedure is detailed above in the link).
To do so, I adjust the cdeine phosphate/caffeine solution to pH 10 or more with any base (NaOH, whatever). Now, using maybe 200mL portions of ether each time, extract the mixture a good 20 times to be thorough. Yes, 20. If you know what you're doing it's not hard to have a rotovap going, recovering the ether for reuse, so you don't need to burn through 20 liters in a go if you don't want to. The ether extractions are dried with magnesium sulfate before being combined and evaporated together. After many extractions, you should eventually recover anywhere from 6 to 7 grams of waxy material, this tended to vary a little in purity, but the average was 90-92% pure codeine with 1-3% acetaminophen and 7-10% caffeine. It was good enough for what I needed it to do, and besides, how nice to recover effectively all of it.... and I lost count of how many times I did this... :0

If you were looking on the second hand market the total set up could be bought for under $2,000, or perhaps even $1000 if you are either lucky, a good negotiator, or handy with repairing things.

I think the reasons a number of folk doing CWEs are different to the reason you are/were ;)

Wish i had access to OTC codeine.

Isnt there a method of codeine hydrogenation via microwave, like a hotpocket DHC?