Thesis Exploring psychedelic experiences: Reasons for use and long-term effects

PsySearcher

Greenlighter
Update (21/01/2023) - I finally completed the thesis!! Thank you to everyone who participated and helped out. For anyone who is interested in reading the thesis here is the link: http://dx.doi.org/10.26021/13872
I've also made all the data open source (links in the thesis) for anyone who'd like to dive into the data more. I welcome any comments, questions, or feedback. Not sure if it counts as "published" as it's not in a journal but close enough. Might end up making a journal publication out if it but we'll see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

My name is Andrew McGahan and I am a researcher at the University of Canterbury (New Zealand) conducting a study on the effects of psychedelic use on individual’s self-understanding (i.e. insight into one’s own inner workings).

This survey explores reasons why people use psychedelics, different types of psychedelic experiences, various set and setting factors and their effect on psychedelic experiences, and the long-term impact psychedelics have had on people’s beliefs, behaviours, attitudes and world view. We understand this is a broad topic and this survey is but a small step towards a more systematic understanding of the psychedelic process. This study has been reviewed and approved by the University of Canterbury Human Ethics Committee

The online survey and interview portion are now complete! We collected over 600 invdividual's responses and conducted 26 in person interviews *phew* averaging 2h45min each. Was a really superb turnout thank you so much to everyone who participated and gave their time to this project. The published thesis will be available once it's complete (which is going to take awhile). I will keep you guys updated as things are happening.

Thank you for your supporting psychedelic science!

Last edited:
Hi @PsySearcher

I just completed your survey. It's involved/long but it's really good. What a deep dive this project is! Well done! the questions seems very well designed, as well. And there's lots of opportunities for people to tell some stories, but you don't have to do that.

So, yes, I recommend this to other Bluelighters with at least 1 x psychedelic experience in their lifetime, from anywhere in the world :)

Hi @PsySearcher

I just completed your survey. It's involved/long but it's really good. What a deep dive this project is! Well done! the questions seems very well designed, as well. And there's lots of opportunities for people to tell some stories, but you don't have to do that.

So, yes, I recommend this to other Bluelighters with at least 1 x psychedelic experience in their lifetime, from anywhere in the world :)

Thanks for your kind comments Tronica. I spent months thinking up the questions, how to word them and what was appropriate ways to answer them. I've noticed quite a few studies awkwardly put likert scales with answers that really don't fit the questions and this was something I was trying to avoid. I'm very happy to hear you think it's well designed :D

The best survey I have ever participated in regarding Psychedelics! I can tell a lot of thought went into it. I have submitted my answers and every optional text box has a long form answer. Such a study is deserving of careful consideration.

Thank you for all that you do @PsySearcher , truly.

P.S. I added my email, I'd be happy to be interviewed :)

@BK38 Thanks a bunch. I'm very happy that you enjoyed the survey and think its the best you've ever participated in. Means all the thinking was worth it :D

@Alex_1991 Thank you Alex for sharing your experiences. Very much appreciated.

Yeah, that was really well designed and decently thorough.

It took me a good hour+ but I enjoyed reminiscing. Hopefully you guys reach out to me for further chit chat. I love reliving the best of times. ;)

We talked for almost 3 hours. It was a good time, really got some thoughts out and good discussion. My experience with psychedelics is a little different maybe than what I see most staunch users... im more using them as a side order to my regimen sometimes.. good and bad experiences and a lot of stuff around all that.

Yeah, that was really well designed and decently thorough.

It took me a good hour+ but I enjoyed reminiscing. Hopefully you guys reach out to me for further chit chat. I love reliving the best of times. ;)
Thanks for putting in the effort SunriseChampion It's very much appreciated and I'm happy you enjoyed reminiscing. You might just get an email later tomorrow if you provided your email address. The next round of invites will be going out then.

This has been a wonderful experience, thank you. If you ever need more I'm here.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update. I have just recently finished all the Interviews (still recruiting for people to complete the online survey). Have had a really good turn out overall with just under 350 people completing the online survey and 27 interviews completed (averaging about 2.5-3hrs each *phew*). I am now going to finish off transcribing all the interviews and get into data analysis. I will post some of the preliminary results over the next month or two. The whole thesis should be done by Mid may (hopefully) and i'll make sure everyone has full access to it if they wish.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update. I have just recently finished all the Interviews (still recruiting for people to complete the online survey). Have had a really good turn out overall with just under 350 people completing the online survey and 27 interviews completed (averaging about 2.5-3hrs each *phew*). I am now going to finish off transcribing all the interviews and get into data analysis. I will post some of the preliminary results over the next month or two. The whole thesis should be done by Mid may (hopefully) and i'll make sure everyone has full access to it if they wish.
I just completed your online survey.

O wow somehow i did not come across this till now. Nice to see fellow kiwis doing psychedelic research. As a partaker in long term psychedelic use myself. As it alot of people in New zealand.

Hey to anyone who might be reading this. Just posting an update on what's going on. Interviews all done, all transcribed and we are underway with the thematic analysis. Currently about 1/5th the way through but this is the pre-liminary stage of identifying meaning in the interviews. The online survey is still up (I will be taking down soonish) we have almost hit 600 people. Much more than I ever really expected. The response and effort given by the psychedelic community has been heartwarming. I hope I can do the community justice in portraying the results in a way that reflects clearly what is there. I will keep posting as I work through it all. The original deadline is definitely passed it's not likely to be done for at least a few more months. The project balooned more than I had originally planned, but I was ambitious so I'll just roll with it! Hope everyone is keeping safe with covid.

Just wanted to add my cousin who has parkinson's disease and I got her well we kinda worked as a team to drink mushroom juice well sweetened and she actually laughed and played games tho she didn't know what she was doing it made me ball I had to excuse myself over never seen her be that happy EVER and she just loved the commodiry it was mind blowing we didn't dare bring out the cameras because she's extremely paranoid it was the best moment of my life!!!!!!!