• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Recruiting Exploring psychedelic experiences: Reasons for use and long-term effects

PsySearcher

Greenlighter
Hi there,

My name is Andrew McGahan and I am a researcher at the University of Canterbury (New Zealand) conducting a study on the effects of psychedelic use on individual’s self-understanding (i.e. insight into one’s own inner workings).

This survey explores reasons why people use psychedelics, different types of psychedelic experiences, various set and setting factors and their effect on psychedelic experiences, and the long-term impact psychedelics have had on people’s beliefs, behaviours, attitudes and world view. We understand this is a broad topic and this survey is but a small step towards a more systematic understanding of the psychedelic process. This study has been reviewed and approved by the University of Canterbury Human Ethics Committee

All data gathered will be completely anonymous unless you choose to opt-in for a separate interview portion of this research project. If you decide to participate in the interview we would need an active email address to contact you. In this case your email would be linked to your survey responses. However, your identified data would remain confidential to the research team.

The purpose of the interview is to provide a more a detailed account of psychedelic experiences and their impact on you and your life. The interview is completely optional, and you can choose to remain anonymous and only complete the online survey (which is very helpful as well).

Rest assured, all published material would be completely anonymised in both situations.

The interview portion of this research project has now been completed (A big thank you to all those of participated).

The following link will take you to the official information page and consent form.

Psychedelic Experiences Survey

Thank you for your supporting psychedelic science!

Last edited:

Tronica

Director of Research
Hi @PsySearcher

I just completed your survey. It's involved/long but it's really good. What a deep dive this project is! Well done! the questions seems very well designed, as well. And there's lots of opportunities for people to tell some stories, but you don't have to do that.

So, yes, I recommend this to other Bluelighters with at least 1 x psychedelic experience in their lifetime, from anywhere in the world :)

PsySearcher

Greenlighter
Hi @PsySearcher

I just completed your survey. It's involved/long but it's really good. What a deep dive this project is! Well done! the questions seems very well designed, as well. And there's lots of opportunities for people to tell some stories, but you don't have to do that.

So, yes, I recommend this to other Bluelighters with at least 1 x psychedelic experience in their lifetime, from anywhere in the world :)

Thanks for your kind comments Tronica. I spent months thinking up the questions, how to word them and what was appropriate ways to answer them. I've noticed quite a few studies awkwardly put likert scales with answers that really don't fit the questions and this was something I was trying to avoid. I'm very happy to hear you think it's well designed :D

BK38

Moderator: TL
Staff member
The best survey I have ever participated in regarding Psychedelics! I can tell a lot of thought went into it. I have submitted my answers and every optional text box has a long form answer. Such a study is deserving of careful consideration.

Thank you for all that you do @PsySearcher , truly.

P.S. I added my email, I'd be happy to be interviewed :)

PsySearcher

Greenlighter
@BK38 Thanks a bunch. I'm very happy that you enjoyed the survey and think its the best you've ever participated in. Means all the thinking was worth it :D

@Alex_1991 Thank you Alex for sharing your experiences. Very much appreciated.

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
Yeah, that was really well designed and decently thorough.

It took me a good hour+ but I enjoyed reminiscing. Hopefully you guys reach out to me for further chit chat. I love reliving the best of times. ;)

Outlier

Moderator: NSADD, DitM, SLR
Staff member
We talked for almost 3 hours. It was a good time, really got some thoughts out and good discussion. My experience with psychedelics is a little different maybe than what I see most staunch users... im more using them as a side order to my regimen sometimes.. good and bad experiences and a lot of stuff around all that.

PsySearcher

Greenlighter
Yeah, that was really well designed and decently thorough.

It took me a good hour+ but I enjoyed reminiscing. Hopefully you guys reach out to me for further chit chat. I love reliving the best of times. ;)
Thanks for putting in the effort SunriseChampion It's very much appreciated and I'm happy you enjoyed reminiscing. You might just get an email later tomorrow if you provided your email address. The next round of invites will be going out then.

Outlier

Moderator: NSADD, DitM, SLR
Staff member
This has been a wonderful experience, thank you. If you ever need more I'm here.

PsySearcher

Greenlighter
Just thought I'd give everyone an update. I have just recently finished all the Interviews (still recruiting for people to complete the online survey). Have had a really good turn out overall with just under 350 people completing the online survey and 27 interviews completed (averaging about 2.5-3hrs each *phew*). I am now going to finish off transcribing all the interviews and get into data analysis. I will post some of the preliminary results over the next month or two. The whole thesis should be done by Mid may (hopefully) and i'll make sure everyone has full access to it if they wish.

PriestTheyCalledHim

Temporary Ban
Just thought I'd give everyone an update. I have just recently finished all the Interviews (still recruiting for people to complete the online survey). Have had a really good turn out overall with just under 350 people completing the online survey and 27 interviews completed (averaging about 2.5-3hrs each *phew*). I am now going to finish off transcribing all the interviews and get into data analysis. I will post some of the preliminary results over the next month or two. The whole thesis should be done by Mid may (hopefully) and i'll make sure everyone has full access to it if they wish.
I just completed your online survey.

TripSitterNZ

Bluelighter
O wow somehow i did not come across this till now. Nice to see fellow kiwis doing psychedelic research. As a partaker in long term psychedelic use myself. As it alot of people in New zealand.