• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Explain heroin withdrawals

SmellyOldWasp

Greenlighter
I'm genuinely curious. Does it really feel like bugs are crawling under your skin? An old friend of mine once said "there is no experience that is worse than heroin withdrawals." Do you agree?

I had a friend years ago that commented that heroin withdrawal felt like "her soul trying to leave her body through her chest" (That may not be verbatim, but it's as close as I can remember. As odd as that may sound, after I thought about it I could see what she was talking about. Different people experience difference symptoms, some more intense, some not at all. I, for one, don't get the restless leg syndrome. I just feel this burning in my chest, severe depression, extremely lethargic, no appetite, and the one that plagues me the worst are the hot flashes. It's different for a lot people, but for me I definitely don't feel like there are bugs crawling under my skin.

I agree it's hell for me it's the anxiety and the way time crawls by so slow, I HATE the urge to move or kick or something but being too tired to do that BUT all.the while not being able.to sleep yuck

It varies depending on how large a dose of what you were taking. Someone who has been shooting 2 grams of good dope every day for years will have a much worse kick than someone who has taken 20mg of hydrocodone every day for a few months.

The worst kick I had included a week's worth of almost no sleep whatsoever and the worst akathisia and restless legs you could imagine, not to mention all the other symptoms (faucety eyes and nose, chills/goosebumps, depression, anxiety, bone/joint pain, sneezing, weakness, etc). That was from smoking 1-2g's of tar a day for two years.

Never felt bugs under the skin. That is more a symptom of stim psychosis if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I never got the restless leg thing much either. The closest thing I can describe it to is like a regular cold except you know if you just shot opiates it would all go away like super hard, but it's so hard to actually do anything to go make it happen. The only thing I would get up for when I was sick, was a way to make me not sick anymore

the physical side of heroin withdrawal will feel like shit, but the mental side is the real horrible part IMO. You question how you even got to this point. Wonder why you still do the shit. But you want it so bad at the same time. It's a horrible experience all around, and it is really hard to explain now that I think about it and haven't been like that in a while

Its really hard to describe though, can't stress that enough

not gonna lie, some people can embellish it a little bit but who am I to say what they actually felt. It's like being really really sick with a common cold and diarreah at the same time. And you want opiates really bad because you know it will make it go away. Not so much the sore throat or cough part of a cold, but just that general shitty feeling

best way I can describe it

Last edited:
Going cold turkey?
Let me have a go at this. I'll describe what it felt like when I went cold turkey
from a 2 gram a day of really good tar/powder habit of 5 uninterrupted years.

First it's anxiety. Feels like you did something wrong and need to escape - a little desperate.
If you know you can't or won't get any more H, the anxiety is slightly lessened.
But still you feel almost like there has been a threat to your life. Scared, even.

Then come the hot cold flashes, constantly, neverending.
then the chills, neverending, constant.
Hot, cold, chills, hot, sweat, cold, freeze, chills, hot, sweat, cold, freeze chills...

Then you start stretching and yawning because you can feel every muscle aching in your body
and you can never get enough oxygen, yawning, chest starts feeling heavy, dense, and full
like you cant breathe properly, breathing in ragged gasps, short of breath,
then you start feeling the trauma of it all, emotionally.

More time goes by and you're not better and just the fact that the human body
is not made to be dealing with this shit, nothing comes to mind, you don't know what
to do, your body is literally like WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING and you start getting emotional
mixed with the physical torture, everything starts getting worse and pain starts setting in,
very hypersensitive, edgy, sharp pain everywhere, if you're a puker then you start puking
compulsively (I don't but many do).

Sadness and a sort of grief starts coming over you,
emotionally you feel traumatized, straight up, like something horrible is happening to you.
Imagine that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach after being scolded severely by your dad or mom
and made to feel like the most horrible piece of fucking shit in your life..
ever felt that way? That feeling exists in your midsection the whole time.
A withering, sickening, pulsing, disgusting traumatized feeling, just radiating from your abdomen.

Anxiety like you are absolutely certain the world is fucking ending, starting with YOUR soul first.
Sadness unlike anything you've ever experienced. GRIEF. Horrible soul-crushing depression.
This may be arbitrary and chemical only, or you may start thinking about really sad things
in your life and start feeling really bad about yourself or what you've done, like some kind of
demented life-recap meant to torture you.

Again your body temperature is never okay - you get too hot, start pouring sweat, and then as
soon as the hot flash ends, you start freezing because you're soaked in sweat and get chills
like you've never had - chills that seem to almost be aware of themselves, and therefore add more
chills in reaction to the chills themselves, they crawl up your spine and even onto your scalp, these chills - and repeat and repeat.

You consider changing your shirt for a dry one but after the 3rd time you're so depressed and apathetic
you don't move and just do nothing instead and just lay there, roll around, and fucking suffer.
Your legs start feeling like someone plugged them into an electrical socket, they are energized and want to
go for a run for a few miles but you are exhausted and feel every atom of your exhaustion in every part of your body.
Legs are kicking around because they're energized and it is maddening, this feeling. Restless Leg Syndrome.

Lights are brighter and overwhelming.
Your sense of reality is shattered, everything is suddenly so fucking real it's scary. bright, sharp, and very real.
You didn't know that everything was *unreal* before - you thought that was all real - but no, this high-contrast,
hypersensitive reality you've now been thrust into is far more real and bright than you could have imagined.
People you knew seem foreign, everything seems foreign, your body feels foreign.

It would be nice to sleep but nope - you are not allowed to. You try but in your traumatized exhausted condition
you are also amped up at the same time, minus the physical resources to actually be amped up.

Like have you ever been really hungover from alcohol, feeling completely wrecked and useless and sick
and then you go and do some meth or adderall, that burnt-out twacked-out nonfunctional attempt at being amped
which fails miserably because you were already all fucking damaged from the night before and your body
cannot handle the speed, but you did it anyway and are now just hungover and twacked straight into the crash
like that - but constantly without end, you are amped and exhausted simultaneously, no sleep.

Your skin feels like it's missing a protective outer layer. Ever accidentally skinned
your finger or knee? it's like that - all over your body. Super sensitive and uncomfortable to the highest degree.
You can even feel the seemingly intense heat of your 98.6 degree urine when you pee, as if it's 1000 degrees now
but no it's normal temp, you're just hypersensitive and kicking heroin.

You can smell the smell of the skin on your fucking face.
probably the smell of your nose, which is doing the smelling lol it's terrible
you can smell everything and everything smells disgusting. even heroin.

Your heart is pounding. sometimes racing, but I mean pounding, like each heartbeat is
a fucking sledgehammer of a beat, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM like the feeling of terror
when you think there's some burglar in the house and you get really quiet to listen for
their steps, and your heart is beating out of your chest
and you're stressed out constantly and can't change that
yet there may not even be anything on your mind.
nose is running the whole time, you may even cough, and if you do start coughing,
you will probably cough so hard you start puking. that just creates another cycle of shit.
no sleep.
Over time each of those things peaks in intensity, then slowly starts to fade, with sleep being the sign
that the peak has been overcome.

Writing this just now, gave me a gnarly flashback hahahahah my GOD

I got the vivitrol shot with heroin still in my system once and went and rolled around in my bed sweating horribly for 8 hours before I passed out for a half hour

that was a pretty good description of it, and I would add that the one thing that is immune to all of those symptoms

is anything involving getting more heroin. your body seems to reserve some kind of zombie-like state for those actions when you are sick.

Walking 15 minutes to a bus stop at 430 in the morning just blowing snot the whole way there while its 25 degrees and windy out.

fuck, I wouldn't even do that sober. And I'd do it when I was sick? Don't get me wrong, it fucking sucks the whole time. But I seemed to suddenly have the fortitude of a Navy Seal when I needed to get high. You just find yourself walking going "this really sucks but once I get through this part I'll be fine" and idk, you just find a way to make it happen

And there is is no better high than going from sick to high. None. Its the most complete and instantaneous 180 your body can ever feel. Unlike going from high to being sick which usually happens upon waking up from a nod and therefore is a slower process (except for precipitated WD)

it leaves you physically, emotionally, and morally exhausted

people do some fucked up shit to not feel that way, believe that

Last edited:
I can't speak about heroin but opiate withdrawal is like having a really bad stomach flu with the worst depression and anxiety you've ever had in your life. The worst part is knowing you can take something that will instantly make you better again.

I also can only talk about rxs but off of hydrocodone 60mgs a day for 2 years it was like the worst flu I have ever had plus the worst migraine on top. For me the worst bit is the chills and headache. I can deal with the no sleep and stomach issues even the emotional stuff but the headache was like if i have to die can it be faster please...

Your friend wasn't exaggerating, it's one of the most horrible feelings, you actually believe that your not going to make it through the process. You've got to have guts to want to quit, otherwise the pain and discomfort will make you relapse. Weed is good to kick with, also xanax helps.

Worst feeling I can EVER imagine. Let's just say I would rather DIE than go through cold turkey H WD at my tolerance.

I experience every major symptom possible during WD..

Bone pain
stomach cramps
nausea/vomiting
diareah
cold sweats
hot flashes
yawning/sneezing
insomnia
anxiety
depression

the list goes on and on.

Honestly i haven't had that horrible of physical symptoms , hot/cold flashes and depression hit me the hardest my last kick... Insomnia as well. Sadly ive been usually using 3 weeks and then off 1 week for about 4 months. Right now i am going to try to force myself not to use and if i decide "i can use once a week" which is really never true.... I have to have my partner hold onto them. The depression and feeling of loneliness without your DOC is horrific and makes you view your life in a different way , yet you still want too use again despite knowing everything it can do to harm you. Its a viciuous cycle and i hope i never fall hard down the path towards actual H over oxycodone

I had two friends who were into dope (more but for the sake of the post), one I saw kicking and he was sitting outside on a porch and he got a huge boner. True story. Otherwise he seemed fine.

Then my other friend who was kicking looked literally like a different person, I couldn't recognize him. He didn't seem restless or anything just like a zombie and really pale.

Ironic because the first friend was into it way heavier than the second.

I've had withdrawals from morphine and I dunno if it is the same but I felt really anxious and like I had restless legs really bad.