• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Exercise indoors

telepathetic

Bluelighter
So, for things mostly beyond my control right as I started to get in shape again, I cannot go outside for a month. What's a good way to get a workout in a static location, particularly cardio? Jumping jacks, jogging in place?

i like joe wicks video, he does 20 minute HIIT videos, which i do, but some are more cardio focused.

do you have stairs?

really feel for you being stuck inside that would drive me mad!!
With the combination of rehabs, mental hospitals, and every job I've had over the past 5-10 years being 90% remote, if feel like ive been stuck inside forever. In this case, I am not even allowed a whif of fresh air. No stairs. Ill check out those videos. Dont even know what HIIT is. I just know cardio is the only thing that helps me feel alive. Not concerned about building muscle only keeping my body functioning healthy

wow!! not even an open window? that's insane. how is that supposed to be good for anyone?

i've been stuck in locked psych wards too it sucks majorly but tbh i was too out of it at the time for being indoors to be getting to me. in rehab we had a little garden that we were allowed in and they also had one excursion a day, either to a meeting or for exercise. that was a fucking godsend. even went to AA just to get out of there.

HIIT is high intensity interval training- so in joe wicks' videos you do like 30/40seconds doing hard work and then take the rest of the minute off.

There are some good bodyweight aerobic workouts on YouTube and amazon. It definitely gives you some cardio.

Also I love that martial art workout.. what's it called ? Tae bo? Great cardio and works the limbs too

HiIT might be good for me especially having not exercised much recently. I dont know if it's supposed to be good for me, in this case I'm paid not to go outside. But yeah, my fatigue and inability to function really started in in patient rehabs where we couldn't go outside. The first few times i used to pace the halls back and forth but eventually I lost motivation to do that. It was very difficult to force myself to hike recently and finally started to feel good and up to it again and bam, now a month inside. Going to check those videos, been doing jumping jacks and pacing a giant circle around the building today.

Heavy bag is the best way for me, and isn’t too costly compared to something like a treadmill or rowing machine.

Otherwise get yourself some bands and light weights, then go for low resistance/high reps.

-GC

Oh my god YES to what everyone else has said.

HIIT are where it's at. You will be so surprised with how fit and toned you can get with such short workouts. Like, they absolutely smash you, but it's only for like 20-30 minutes.

Youtube has thousands of videos, and it's all free obvs. There are lots of apps as well, but some of them have a monthly subscription fee so if you're strapped for cash, just do the Youtube video workouts :)

All good ideas, I found that strenuous yoga was really nice too. Get into that mindset and do it. The meditative aspect can be quite enjoyable once you make it routine. Might help you with the lack of fresh air. Also, HIIT, as many others have said. I like the mindfulness, core strength, and flexibility gained from the former and the cardio & muscle maintenance or build up from the ladder. They can both be done in the same day too if you want to wake up and do the first, take a bit to cool down, and knock the HIIT out before bed... I've done that and it kicked my ass. Feels good to be flexible and strong.

If you really don't care to think the fuck you gonna do some particular day,
half-squat back against wall and,
this is easily done even on sofa, laying on one side, lifting leg 40-60 degrees slowly and back down. Turn sides.