• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. The Endorphin Factory

Ended the day pretty tired but will go for a swim tomorrow morning once again.

@ tjmothy.. Usually lift muscle groups (chest tris, legs bicepts, back shoulders.) With abs almost everyday. I like to walk a bunch as well. Mix it up with labor intensive work and an occasional run. Should run more.

Chest, triceps and abs today.. Good workout.

I'm just popping to reconfirmed the power to exercise as an important part of a well balanced sobriety plan/lifestyle. I have been following strength training routines for at least 2.5 years now. It is my saving grace. I may slip in my sobriety for a weekend and you know what, I do not makes significant strength gains for at least a week following that.

The satisfaction I get from seeing measureable progress keeps me from falling to far down the rabbit hole. Also the appreciatation I now have for how amazing my body is in it ability to adapt to time under tension following linear progression and then following slightly more involved periodized progression cycles keeps me grounded and really motivated to not give in to my addict tendencies.

^ Absolutely. It transforms your life completely. Not only because of the lifestyle but also because you become happier, motivated.

I normally hate waking up early to swim for 45 minutes, but at the end of the day I'm full of energy although pretty tired from work. Things seems more interesting to do and I feel less lethargic about going out. Exercises and hobbies can be excellent tools for recovery.

Today:

I'm going to an experimental class of spinning at the gym.

Lifted back and shoulders yesterday and walked five or six miles.. danced a bunch.

Going to legs and biceps up today and then some more dancing tonight.

Took my son and gave him an introduction into lifting

Last edited:
I'm excited...just registered for a 13-mile running race on trails up in the mountains above my new town. The event is in September. It's been many years since I raced (used to be a very competitive marathoner). Feels good to have a fitness-related goal. I've been out hitting the mileage most days since I moved here. Feeling very good physically and emotionally (though I'm definitely older and creakier than I was in my racing heydays :\).

Went for a run to relieve stress. I'm feeling really down, but I'll tell you what. I haven't sprinted that fucking hard since high school. Good to know I can still do that lol.

That's great, you should try to do it more often.

I had the same experience with swimming but after one year I started to feel I needed to do something different. Something that could motivate me a lot more.

I'm excited...just registered for a 13-mile running race on trails up in the mountains above my new town.

WOW

Chest and biceps were up yesterday. I am looking really good and feeling pretty good as well.

Did 15min yoga earlier, trying for 45min again today. Opiate withdrawal makes it really difficult for me to move around let alone practice yoga.

^ Indeed, but it's very important that you go on.

Exercises will help you considerably with your recovery. If Yoga is tricky or more difficult at the moment, try something else. It can be quite rewarding.

I love exercise. Used to run 10km three times a week, go to the gym for like 10 hours a week, go on 1000km cycling / camping journeys, like anything really.

My spine is fucked now, I can barely do anything if I don't have an opiate in my system. Add in withdrawal which inherently causes physical weakness, and it's a fight to keep in shape at all. Add in loss of appetite too and I get skinny and gaunt. I am hoping to get some suboxone today since it has been 2 weeks almost, and I still feel like shit. Not even not-right, just absolutely awful.

I didn't miss my yoga yesterday... well I did 30 minutes. Most forms of exercise, other than cycling and yoga, are ​completelyout of the question for me. Otherwise, I'd be on the way to the gym.

I love exercise. Used to run 10km three times a week, go to the gym for like 10 hours a week, go on 1000km cycling / camping journeys, like anything really.

My spine is fucked now, I can barely do anything if I don't have an opiate in my system. Add in withdrawal which inherently causes physical weakness, and it's a fight to keep in shape at all. Add in loss of appetite too and I get skinny and gaunt. I am hoping to get some suboxone today since it has been 2 weeks almost, and I still feel like shit. Not even not-right, just absolutely awful.

I didn't miss my yoga yesterday... well I did 30 minutes. Most forms of exercise, other than cycling and yoga, are ​completelyout of the question for me. Otherwise, I'd be on the way to the gym.

Great that you are putting some effort by working out. You'll be fine. :)

Thanks, I'm really putting some effort into my recovery. At the two week point I was still very sick and weak, so I took a 4mg suboxone after smoking DMT, the latter of which was fucking phenomenal and really healing, and the former which has eliminated my remaining symptoms. I hope I can get by on taking maybe one more sub in a few days to get through the physical part.

So anyways, now that I took that sub I seriously am SO looking forward to an hour long yoga sesh in the sun today. If it gets cloudy after several days of the most beautiful weather this summer yet, and I'm just feeling well enough to function due to the suboxone, I will throw my hat on the bed and throw a hex on myself for 30 days.

I'm going to take it easy starting up more seriously again though. Not going straight to three 10 minute downward dogs a day, but I'll start with three 5 minute ones for sure.