• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Everything you could want to know about VIVITROL

Vivitrol really does linger

My first shot, being healthy, and with a good metabolism. It's day 38 and cant feel even a hint of my norcos for back pain. I know a lot of people ask the length on this crap and I promise you it will hang on for dear life.

Has anyone gotten of Naltrexone? How long after I stop taking it can I feel the effects of Norco?

Has anyone gotten of Naltrexone? How long after I stop taking it can I feel the effects of Norco?

Hi and Welcome to BL

I moved your post here where I imagine the answer lies. Thing is, it seems to vary quite a bit from person to person. Perusing this thread would be my suggestion to try and figure out a possible timeline.

Be careful, man. If you get high too close to the date of the shot, you'll go into really bad withdrawals when they shoot you. It's not worth it to do it within three days of the next shot, IMO.

I was clean for 6 weeks and decided to snort 1 bag 48 hours before my 1st Viv shot and felt zero withdrawal symptoms. My belief and research says that if you are not in active addiction and use once even 24 hours before, you will not experience w/d sysmptoms.

Everybody's different but have seen many similar experiences and recall no adverse reactions from what I've read.

So the naltrexone stopped the alcohol buzz eh interesting. Many have told me naloxone/naltrexone has no medical reason to affect the buzz from alcohol.

I wouldn't get the shot everyone I know trys to break through it cause the naltrexone doesn't curb the cravings whatsoever like suboxone does so whats the point the only people who take it are the ones who's parents or spouse is making then get it to be sure they won't be getting high then the addict trys his best to still get high meaning nothings changed.

Not for me sounds like hell to tell you the truth wanting or get high so bad but you just can't do enough drugs to even feel anything so you keep trying and trying.
Suboxone changed my life for the better I can take this daily and not do ANY heroin don't try to break through it cause it leaves me content

I would rather live putting an opiate like Suboxone in my body daily instead of doing vivatrol and still be doing heroin whenever I get a chance to.
I got savings now I'm not living paycheck to paycheck no more and even though I have all this money in the bank I'm not spending ANY of it on heroin anymore just cannabis which is a big change compared to a year ago when I would have spent every last dime of it getting high and then some.
You couldn't be more wrong, I choose to get the shot every month and it almost complete cuts all my cravings, idk if its because I know I can not get high bec unlike others have stated I can not get high what's so ever for at least 30-35 days, but more like 40, yes I have slipped up and purposely not got the shot so I can get high but overall I probably have had over a year and half of clean time in the last 2 and half and going on 5 months rn. The shot deff saved my life. That and Xanax ?

Not sure who uses this spot. Been on for a month shot tomorrow, but I banged a little on Friday I thik. Not at all addicted to opiate

^^Don't even worry about it man, to me Vivitrol is just part of the whole AA/rehab complex, which doesn't give a shit about you, they just want your money. Rehabs won't keep people on suboxone maintenance and AA treats maintenance as using--yet they wonder why the "relapse rate" is over 90%... Whole industry is bullshit, why would you pay $1000/day for what's basically a shitty vacation, since they tell you the first day only like 5 in 100 make it to 1-year...

Why did you even bother to post? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
1. There are junkies that don't give 2 fucks about life and haven't for a long time.
2. OP is clearly not forced to live a sober life, seeing as he still shoots heroin.
3. He's not even mentally sober the rest of the time, because he's always craving.
4. "any good addict is going to try his best to get high anyway, it's what we do" is bullshit (besides, in the sentence before he's "living the sober life")
OP is hilarious. Wow you’re on vivitrol and still blow money trying to get high and have the audacity to judge someone that’s turned it around on suboxone. Just stop

To anyone reading this thinking about getting the shot without being fully committed to it/sobriety, DO NOT DO IT. You will regret it and spend every moment until it wears off thinking about getting high.

That said, I'm on day 28 and still cannot get high on tested/clean strong #4. I feel slight sedation and pinned pupils, but no real rush or blanket euphoria. Fairly skinny guy @ 140lbs currently with a fast metabolism. I was expecting it to end sooner.

A couple of nurse friends have told me that the first time the A&E doc gives an opiate antagonist, for an OD with heroin etc., it's not uncommon for said recipient to rapidly return to conciousness, then hit doc for suddenly dropping them straight into full on w/d symptoms. Apparently the sort of mistake they only make once, stepping back to a safe distance, in the few seconds before they have before having to deal with a very annoyed patient!

A couple of nurse friends have told me that the first time the A&E doc gives an opiate antagonist, for an OD with heroin etc., it's not uncommon for said recipient to rapidly return to conciousness, then hit doc for suddenly dropping them straight into full on w/d symptoms. Apparently the sort of mistake they only make once, stepping back to a safe distance, in the few seconds before they have before having to deal with a very annoyed patient!

I believe it. Precipitated withdrawal is awful. When they hit you with naloxone/narcan what it does it rip off everything from your opioid receptors all at once. So you are going into the worst withdrawal you have ever experienced and being forced awake into that. Would I hit a doctor? No. Would I run out of the hospital to grab more drugs? Yes.

I realize it is saving a persons life, but they should have a comfort medication in place to ease people into it. Some have even died from precipitated withdrawal before as it is such a huge shock to the system, not a gradual withdrawal like it would be normally.

Day 30, still unable to get a solid high. I had one day where it felt like I was breaking through, but then the next day and day after plus today it's back to not feeling anything aside from sedation, pinned pupils and breathing delayed. I wonder if my body randomly squeezed out the last bit of Vivitrol in my ass muscle and that's why I'm feeling it again.

I've gone through 3 grams of really great quality #4 trying to get through this thing since about day 20 in varying amounts. I'll never subject myself to this shot again if I know I'm only going to relapse as it makes it more dangerous in the long run than if you had taken a small tolerance break and returned. Now I'm paranoid that any day now I'm going to overdose on a small amount once the Vivitrol flushes out completely.

--------

Edit: Day 31 - still not unable to get high, only feel the same sedation,pinned pupils and respiratory depression. I'm guessing within the next 3 days I'll be back to normal. That seems to be the average time it lasts.

Last edited:
Day 32 - You guessed it! Still not able to feel much of anything! Vivitrol seems to stick around for some people. I thought being skinny and having a fast metabolism would make it pass through me quicker, but nope. The scary part as at any point in the next few days it is going to drop off severely, which can possibly lead into overdose if you get cocky and think taking a bunch more is going to be better. I'm really in awe at how long this lasts. Definitely worth it if you are certain that not being able to feel a high would keep you from doing opiates.

Another weird thing is I can almost feel the vivitrol still working. There is this glazed over dissociated numbness that came right after the shot that I am still experiencing till this day. I can wake up and based on that feeling have bet myself that I wouldn't be able to feel the dope, and it's been correct 99% of the time so far. Very strange feeling.

Last edited:
Day 33 - I was able to somewhat breakthrough with a little over .1 of pure #4. I'm guessing by the end of the weekend this will be fully out of my system. I'm feeling probably 50% of the high from it now, but the euphoria is still muted. Definitetly feeling the warmth and comfy feeling, and slight itching. I also was having some cavity pain that is now gone as well. Part of me wants to go grab a needle, though I don't think I want to start that habit back up again.

anyone reading this - it is not worth it to try until at least day 30. You are wasting money and drugs. Thankfully I had a good stock of this stuff or else I would have been S.O.L.

Final update: I ended up overdosing trying to beat this block.. Be seriously careful. The warnings are not a game.. you can and most people will overdose not waiting out the full 40+ days it takes to go away!