Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

'Event' Drug Raids?

notneo

Bluelighter
With all the raids of clubs recently I am starting to wonder how long it will be until the lights fly on music dies and police with dogs run into organised events with thousands of people.. especially over age events.?

It's obvious that roughly 75% if not more of the people there will be on some sort of drug and some may not have taken all of them yet depending..

My question is would it be harder to raid an event not only because the organisers would most probably say no but obtaining a warrant when it is only on say 2-3 times a year?

Just a thought.

The promoters are going to do everything they can to avoid a raid, so I'm assuming they contact the police beforehand and invite them to come along with a dog or two. That probably reduces the risk of a raid significantly, although at the same time I would (regardless of police presence) never dismiss the possibility.

Last edited:
If we see any media, anywhere, at any non-commercial event, I think we can pretty much assume there will be a raid.

They shine a bright white light in your eyes too make you look like a drugged-out loony. - Like Lisa in the "bad babysitting" episode.

Specific events probably shouldnt be discussed here. But I think (large event) is probably going to be a Police Sting Operation, disguised as a Rave.

All I can say is, if you get caught at (large event) because you didn't pre-empt the serious police presence, then you probably deserve to get caught...make sure you are ready for an unrivalled display of facist, persecution of our civil liberties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think this sort of thing varies from state to state.

In Victoria, there are (as far as I'm aware) rarely/never any raids on events/raves because the Victorian Police force appear to be fairly aware that drugs at raves cause very little problems.

There is rarely violence, rarely trouble, and compared with some of the more boozy type social gatherings (eg: beachfronts on NYE, etc, etc) or even plain old Rock concerts, it's just not worth the Police time/effort.

I was at a recent event in victoria (outdoors/public) that had _plenty_ of people on drugs and cops everywhere (just due to the 300,000 people there) and they were very cool, kept entirely to themselves (I even saw some posing for photos) and only ever intervened if there was trouble/violence.

It was quite refreshing, actually.

NSW cops seem to have quite a different focus/pressure on them.

It has happened before... I think it was the big [edited] rave a few years back?!?

[edit - no event names sorry]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well , i was chatting to one of the security guards from one of the night clubs that was raided here in Sydney last week and he made some very interesting comments on the whole police with sniffer doggs situation.

Here is some of the points he made, quite interesting.

Police came with around 4 sinffer dogs
There were 4 different camera's filming the whole thing
Apparently there were up to 40 police officers there
They managed to hand out 11 fines
Made only 2 arrests
Alot of men were forced to take their shirts off
The video camera's were there to film all the action

Ok, so my point now, and seriously this just goes to show how much of a joke the Australian government really is. Having 4 camera's to film a drug raid, just to show the community that they are doing their job, well handing out 11 fines and making a WOPING 2 arrests , 4 dogs and 40 officers in uniform,

thats a lot of fucken resources to do such a piss small bust like this.

If they were really looking for drugs, wouldnt they go looking on the coast guard or on the docks. Whats the maximum amount of pills they are going to arrest with someone inside a night club?

And another thing,

There haven't been any major heroin or cocaine busts lately, I wonder why?

Too much kick back goes to the government, poor kids that pop pills are the target.

When are they going to learn!

dirtyb_au, there definitely are a few differences in NSW/VIC policing, but I think you're going to far too imply that the police are more relaxed in VIC than in NSW.

While the police here aren't down with testing at events, we don't have random drug testing on our roads. The police are at most events here, and much like what you described they keep to themselves. Last event I was at they were strolling around talking to each other, paying almost 0 attention to what was going on around them. I'm not judging any of this as good or bad, I'm just pointing out that things aren't as different up here as you think.

:)

Surely there must be a police officer or someone who closely knows a police officer somewhere on this forum.

If this is the case, keeping in mind that this is all reasonably anonymous and in the interests of the community, I would be very interested in hearing a police person's comments/opinions (positive or negative) on the above thread and the police take on drugs in general.

TranceNation said:
And another thing,

There haven't been any major heroin or cocaine busts lately, I wonder why?

Too much kick back goes to the government, poor kids that pop pills are the target.

When are they going to learn!

Eh? could you elaborate? How does the trafficking of H/cocaine in Australia result in government kickbacks?

apollo said:
The police are at most events here, and much like what you described they keep to themselves. Last event I was at they were strolling around talking to each other, paying almost 0 attention to what was going on around them.

Yeah, lots of raves in Sydney have a police presence, but usually they aren't as invasive and pro-active as the recent club raids. At (insert big rave event here), the cops were EVERYWHERE. Dogs at the door and they busted alot of people.

But inside, the cops were laughing and even having photo's taken with ravers! It was awesome, they were just monitoring the situation, having a good time and busting anyone who was obviously dealing I guess. But yeah, they were everywhere and none of my friends had any problems with them. They weren't looking at everyone as if it was a crime just being there (like on the weekend!) and randomly searching people. I think a police presence at a big party is a good thing, especially if they act like this.

I don't think I have ever heard of a raid at a Perth rave ever... although I don't think i've ever heard of anyone taking drugs at Perth raves anyway.
=D

There hasn't been raids as such at any thing in Perth I've heard about. There has been a large police presence at a couple though. Some clubs were raided 'back in the day' too...

To follow on from dirtyb-au who's comments seem sound I understand that police command in victoria are still reasonably nervous about raiding a club or event because of the Tasty nightclub episode a few years ago.

Its suggested the payouts reached about $16 mil, wouldn't that buy a few donuts.

That doesn't mean to say they wont change their attitude tomorrow and decide to hit somewhere

;)

I think one thing that is important to note with regards to the police "take" on drugs in general is the same as with any illegal activity. That is, in the end, they are employed to be law enforcers, and since it is illegal to possess certain substances that ravers like to consume, they'll enforce it in some way or another.

I think that one of my biggest criticisms of the methods police use at large events (and even not so large) is that they are carried out in such a non respectful manner. I have been at an event where people have been forced to strip down to boxers in FULL view of the masses of people lining up for entry - file photos were also being taken in a room which had lots of unobstructed windows. Now it is one thing to catch someone possessing an illegal substance, but an entirely different thing to do it in this manner.

Back to the original topic: One thing that inhibits the ability of police to raid a big event is that they need a realistic ratio of cops to raidees (pardon the expression!) to ensure the possibility of a successful raid and the safety of the police people involved. Police presence at events is different - it is another avenue for ensuring event safety (additional to security and paramedics etc). Maybe that's why you will find the cops inside are more relaxed than the ones outside.

Fry-d- said:
There hasn't been raids as such at any thing in Perth I've heard about. There has been a large police presence at a couple though. Some clubs were raided 'back in the day' too...

I can remeber a certain underage event being shut down early in to the night no more than two years ago. The reason for this the organizers said, was due to a large group of young people out side the venue, some of which were making very blatant transactions in full view of a near by police station.