• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Alcohol Euphoria from Alcohol

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hi Bluelighters.

How euphoric is alcohol? I have never been a heavy drinker, and I consider their euphoria quite poor. It doesn't even come close to the euphoria of a benzo or even Pregabalin, which causes quite similar effects to alcohol.

I feel a slight euphoria for about 15-30 minutes and then it makes me act confused and silly. Not to mention the hangover if you drink too much.

FuckinAcidMan

Bluelighter
I get pretty decent euphoria for about an hour from smaller amounts like a beer or two. It's not like taking oxycodone or anything but alcohol seems to provide a solid enough mood lift often times. Before I was used to it it would make me depressed though like almost immediately.

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Not much euphoria at all.

In a way its sort of like benzos, the more underlying anxiety you have, the more euphoric it is. That said, I find benzos way more euphoric.

That said i drink every night but am cutting back. Id like to stop entirely.

For me the most enjoyable part is the disinhibition i suppose, but it is a shitty dirty high. Perhaps the most euphoric sensation is the body high/analgesia.

supersonic89

Bluelighter
I get pretty decent euphoria for about an hour from smaller amounts like a beer or two. It's not like taking oxycodone or anything but alcohol seems to provide a solid enough mood lift often times. Before I was used to it it would make me depressed though like almost immediately.
Well I hate beer hahaha. It's next to wine the alcohol that causes me the worse hangover.

In a way its sort of like benzos, the more underlying anxiety you have, the more euphoric it is. That said, I find benzos way more euphoric.
I suffer from social anxiety and I have never felt that alcohol helps me too much. In fact, many times it makes me feel more anxious because I don't like to be seen acting drunk. Unlike benzos, where I don't give a shit about everything.

Xorkoth

Administrator: PD, TR, P&S
Staff member
For me, alcohol is far more euphoric than benzos, benzos aren't euphoric at all for me, they just make me not care about stuff, and/or sleep. Alcohol can make me feel really good, but it is really a nasty drug, getting drunk does a lot of damage to your organs and brain.

Alcohol euphoria does not measure up to many hard drugs and it's about as toxic as drugs get, aside from inhalants. It's a shitty drug but can be quite fun.

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
I have no experience with benzos because I keep reading how fucked the withdrawals are, though alcohol withdrawal is also a bitch.
I do binge drink though like it's my job and....euphoria? Man, like 3/10 with a perfect score being a candyflip or something.

I think what I like about alcohol's effects is that it makes me into a mischievious joker and puts me into a really interesting mindset that I would best describe as everything is a joke/love life. There's not much euphoria though.
Maybe with wine there's a bit more....wine sometimes makes me feel jovial.
I also like the taste of various drinks (Negronis, grin and chronics, various wines, etc) which is another excuse/reason I use to drink.

You want euphoria? Try MDMA. ;)

I used to suffer from pretty bad social anxiety and depression and self-medicated with MDMA and mushrooms which took care of that problem permanently (until I fucked it all up by doing meth). Alcohol is a temporary fix to any problem. Not worth the cost, both financial and physical/psychological, in my opinion. Please don't ask me to defend my own use of it. 🙃

burn out

Bluelighter
To me alcohol is among the top most euphoric drugs, the only thing I'd really place ahead of it is crack cocaine and of course psychedelics like amanita muscaria and psilocybin can be more euphoric but only if the trip is good. The problem with alcohol is that unless you're young and healthy, the euphoria comes at the price of bitter side effects and is not worthwhile at all. These days I am old and in poor health and can't drink much at all. If I drink more than 2 beers I really pay for it the next days and yes I mean days I usually feel the aftermath of a few beers for 3-4 days. That's most likely due to my history of benzo abuse.

Nicocastillo7

Greenlighter
Certainly for me alcohol produces more euphoria than benzos, but this effect is so ephemeral, perhaps the first half hour, something that I feel very similar in its euphoria to alcohol is soma (carisoprodol) but it is even more pleasant ...
Lyrica is definitely more euphoric than alcohol, it lasts for many hours .. alcohol has a very poor euphoria although sometimes it is very fun, like almost everyone, I prefer the more consistent euphoria like mdma or oxy ..

Jopeth

Bluelighter
Alcohol carries euphoria when consumed with other people consuming alcohol. 4 out of ten at best. I bet you could graph the drop in euphoria as intoxication increases. (for me anyway)

As a professional drinker that can only stand a couple drinks these days, im glad the side effects started to get more pronounced.

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
I bet you could graph the drop in euphoria as intoxication increases. (for me anyway)
Interesting....I think my experience would be the exact opposite. 2 pints in I'm like meh.....20 pints in I'm having the laugh of my life, though it's still probably just a 3/10 on the euphoria scale.

As a professional drinker that can only stand a couple drinks these days, im glad the side effects started to get more pronounced.
I'm hoping to graduate to this level of "been there done that, fuck it" fairly soon.

nznity

Bluelighter
For me its jst social thing.otherwise id rather have a nice opiate high or even weed even tho i dont smoke much anymore. Hehe

Xorkoth

Administrator: PD, TR, P&S
Staff member
In the past 2 years I have gone from having virtually no hangovers and being able to drink frequently to getting nasty hangovers that go on for 2 days sometimes and really paying for it, it sucks. It's probably because of drinking, too.

Coffeeshroom

Bluelighter
Alcohol for m brings a decent euphoria, makes me feel good about myself, gives me self confidence and makes me happy and out going ( very sociable ). So for me it does bring euphoria and I lik it, plus I hardly ever get a "babalas". But compared to benzos alone, alcohol is superior ime. But a combo of alc, benzos and opiates is the cream of th crop but I don't advise that to anyone.

Fire&Water

Bluelighter
Homebrew ( grains & the maximum amount of variable fresh hops) is a very relaxing type of alcohol "euphoria"

I make ginger beer & mead also, but a highly hopped beer is a more enjoyable intoxication

Branggen

Bluelighter
I find alcohol more euphoric than benzos, I find the disinhibition is stronger though that might be because alcohol I use more in a party type setting and benzos in situations I cant act "drunk". Also the body warmth of alcohol is kind of like an opiate sensation on top which is pretty euphoric.

I feel like this is debunked but is there any truth to those different alcohols having different effects theories? I see the guy above me staying that "highly hopped beer is a more enjoyable intoxication" so maybe certain alcohols have different qualities such as euphoria? Its kinda like the precursor theory for the "mehDMA" with all the alcohols being produced from different plants.

F.U.B.A.R.

Moderator: BDD, OD, LAVA
Staff member
is there any truth to those different alcohols having different effects theories? I see the guy above me staying that "highly hopped beer is a more enjoyable intoxication" so maybe certain alcohols have different qualities such as euphoria? Its kinda like the precursor theory for the "mehDMA" with all the alcohols being produced from different plants.
I find that when one becomes a connoisseur of a substance then the effects of different formulations can vary immensely. Initially it all seems the same. With alcohol you just get pissed. With weed you just get stoned. With MDMA you just get mashed. But the more you partake, the more you can appreciate the subtle variations. For me, the effects of spirits, wine, beer and cider are very different. Spirits give me a speed ball type effect - energetic and euphoric with an underlying sedation that gets more pronounced as dosage increases - until you fall over. Wine is like hash - a pleasant, dreamy sensation that gets more pronounced - until you fall over. Beer is more like a buzzy weed - until you fall over. Cider just makes you fall over...

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
^They all make me fall over and they all do it in such fun unique ways. I'm a fan of Jaeger as an after dinner drink, I believe in rural Germany they'd call it a digestif.

I like to take vodka and soak it in strawberries for a week, strain, enjoy with lemonade. Mmmmmm.

But yeah, I really, really love alcohol euphoria, it's the only drug I can't stop once I start. One leads to two, two to four, four to eight, and eight to, "Who's bed am I in, where's my wallet, why do I have a hook-shaped scar on my chest?!" moments.

JTemperance

Bluelighter
I found alcohol more euphoric than benzos, but benzos became more of a cornerstone of my life -- pretty soon, I couldn't imagine enjoying *anything* without having taken a BZD dose first, while I still saw the value in doing at least *some* things without being drunk.

But conversely, benzos never fully substituted for the disinhibited euphoria of alcohol, so starting daily BZD use didn't necessarily stop or even slow down my drinking habits. In particular, I had already gotten used to falling alseep in the "stupor" state that belongs more to alcohol than benzodiazepines (or Z-drugs even), so I'd end up seeking that state as the one I "needed" to be in to get to sleep.

With heavier-dose opiates, on the other hand, the euphoria was of a quality and quantity that it pretty quickly managed to make heavy drinking (and eventually benzo use) both unnecessary and actually undesirable, since it would throw off the equilibrium of the high, the functional euphoria of energetic apathy that seemed like bliss itself. However, in later-stage withdrawal, lower-dose maintenance, and "sobriety," the oblivion of alcohol would reappear as a desirable state to achieve.

The euphoric effect of stimulants was in the beginning inseparable from alcohol, either as an accompaniment or to mitigate the comedown, but I came to appreciate them unaccompanied while benzos/gabapentinoid/opiates mostly substituted for the latter use.

And of all the "superior" drug euphorias there may be, I think alcohol is still near the top in terms of its "social" effect -- lowering inhibitions, increasing talkativeness, diminishing shyness, blotting out self-awareness, etc.

burn out

Bluelighter
I agree with F.U.B.A.R. there is definitely different effects from different alcoholic drinks and they become more apparent as you become more familiar with them. Sometimes you will encounter science nerds who will try to deny this and say alcohol is alcohol, all the differences are all in your head but I would argue that is not a very scientific point of view as there are easily explainable reasons why beer for example, might give you a different effect than vodka. For one, beer contains hops which are mildly psychoactive in themselves, so it makes sense they would influence the experience. In addition, beer is much lower in alcohol than vodka and it contains carbohydrates, proteins, sugars and by products of fermentation that are removed in the distillation process. All of these factors have influences on the body and while they may be subtle in comparison to alcohol, there's no reason to think they couldn't add their own character to the effects of alcohol.

I get very noticeably different effects from beer, wine, cider, whiskey and mead. Mead is probably the most notable in that I get a strange relaxing body buzz not present from any other alcoholic beverage. Does anyone else experience that from mead?

What is a little harder to explain is why people say that different liquors have different effects since they are all distilled and fairly similar to each other. Of course some of it probably is in their heads and has to do with the associations they have with each drink. But there are still subtle differences between different liquors which theoretically could influence the buzz. In my experience I seem to get a different type of buzz drinking lager beer than ale beer. Lager gives me a more energetic clear headed type of buzz. I can't really give a good explanation for this considering they are pretty much made from the same ingredients except a different yeast and different fermentation method.

Last edited:

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
And of all the "superior" drug euphorias there may be, I think alcohol is still near the top in terms of its "social" effect -- lowering inhibitions, increasing talkativeness, diminishing shyness, blotting out self-awareness, etc.
QFT.