• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Etizolam and fentanyl mix causing harder-to-revive overdoses, sparking panic in Vancouver

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
New drug mix causing harder-to-revive overdoses, sparking panic in Vancouver
Yvette Brend
CBC
April 12th, 2019

A new kind of overdose is showing up among Vancouver drug users and it's challenging front-line overdose prevention workers trying to save lives.

Toxicology reports are revealing a different drug being mixed with fentanyl and other street drugs, which are already adulterated with ever more bizarre and dangerous fillers, according to Dr. Keith Ahamad, an addiction expert.

The unusual chemical — similar to drugs prescribed in Canada for anxiety — is showing up in urine tests, according to health officials.

Toxicology tests have revealed that the new additive is etizolam, which is a benzodiazepine-like analog, often called a benzo.

Etizolam is described as having 10 times the potency of Valium. It isn't approved for sale in North America.

Read the full story here.

What kind of psychopath mixes these two compounds before selling them to people? As if street fentanyl mixed with heroin wasn't bad enough.

Unfortunately, I can see this leading to the scheduling of etizolam in Canada. There is quite a busy "research chemical" market for this compound at the moment.

That's impossible. Etizolam isn't water soluble. Probably buying cheap street pressed pills and mixing it with heroin. If it was in the heroin it wouldnt get into the syringe with water

Etizolam is increasingly water soluble at ph<5, so a little citric in the mix would probably do it.

You mean the citric is mixed into the powder? North American heroin doesn't require an acid to be added before injection. But I'm not a chemist.

The left over acetic acid in heroin is going to lower the pH a bit.

If I can math right.

If you snort the heroin the etiz will get in to your body.

Also if what I learned from drugs inc is correct...the person mixing H and fent together at the trap house isn't exactly a doctor of chemistry....you dont mix these types of drugs the way you cut up cocaine with a credit card...yet that's what's being done.

most "heroin" in vancouver is less than 10% heroin these days, if that, more often than not it's a mixture of fentanyl and caffeine

Talked to an outreach worker in the downtown eastside recently. He said that so many people are dying that he believes this is an orchestrated effort to get rid of Vancouver's "homeless problem", especially in light of pressure from developers.

The Chinese laundered billions of dollars through the real estate sector, it would surprise me if they're behind it. But who knows.

Talked to an outreach worker in the downtown eastside recently. He said that so many people are dying that he believes this is an orchestrated effort to get rid of Vancouver's "homeless problem", especially in light of pressure from developers.

The Chinese laundered billions of dollars through the real estate sector, it would surprise me if they're behind it. But who knows.
I am beginning to suspect the entire fentanyl thing is orchestrated by the government. Just like crack was distributed by the CIA.

I am beginning to suspect the entire fentanyl thing is orchestrated by the government. Just like crack was distributed by the CIA.

Somebody is doing it and it's organized. It doesn't make sense that drug dealers would spike so much of their supply with deadly product. It doesn't make economic sense. This is somebody's way of "cleaning up" the downtown east side. If you look at who stands to gain from it, it's real estate developers and foreign investors. It's no coincidence that the fentanyl deaths started spiking at the height of the real estate boom. Chinatown is also slated for rezoning to allow for high rise condos and that's right next door.

The corruption and greed of some human beings knows no bounds. Total psychopathy.

I mean it makes economic sense farther up the supply chain. Bulk custom synthesis orders are far cheaper then heroin. It's also easier to smuggle as it has less weight per dose compared to heroin. Then you figure we tend to look for the stamps people are ODing on and well I could see it......

What's strange to me is that it's still in the supply now that word is out. It has to be hurting sales as new customers are scared to try dope now. I don't know what to think.

I hear you. I understand the practicalities for synthesizing and transporting the smaller amounts... but if your product is killing your customers, then how does that make any sense?

The city responded with nalaxone training programs. Even I have a kit that I walk around with. It has rescued many people.

And then?... the dangerous product got modified once more to bypass naloxone.

This smells VERY fishy.